By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy has lost its way

Tagged games:

I hear ya

I have no idea what I was watching 90 48.13%

It's exactly like a fina... 94 50.27%

Total:184
happydolphin said:

Am I the only one who was horribly lost when watching the FFXV gameplay demo? I can barely recognize Final Fantasy anymore. I only played a portion of FFXII and the last FF I played significantly was X (which I'm still playing). I have no idea what FFXV was and what I was watching.....

Anyone else in the same boat?

lol no, its made by Nomura, the game is gonna be awesome because its gonna be like Kingdom Hearts gameplay.

Around the Network
Areym said:

Calling nostalgia goggles on you, good sir.

I think i've played every FF from one all the way to 13 (granted, i've only actually finished 7, 10, and 13. Currently playing 8 and 12) and FFXV looks like the best FF in the series. I am glad it doesn't have that achaic turn-based battles systems that some RPGs refuse to get rid off. Action and Hack-and-Slash RPGs are superior is every way. In a real fight, you don't wait for your opponent to hit you. You dodge/block/counter that shit with finesse and that's what this game is going for. There is no reason, this day in age, for me not to be able to enter and leave a fight unscratched, assuming I'm skillful enough. Turn-based battles are archaic, no other way around it in my honest opinion and for the record, RPGs are my main genre.

This is my most hyped final fantasy game since Crisis Core. The setting looks great, the characters look interesting, the battle system looks badass. I can't see how this is not a step in the right direction for final fantasy. The only think I can say is I'm curious about the party system. During the demo, Noctis's party only appeared briefly to assist Noctis. I would be dissapointed if they weren't always present in battles but it would not stop me from getting the game. Although Wikipedia says that members are present and can be switched around so I don't know anymore.

Final Fantasy wants to appeal to a larger audience other than the every-decreasing JRPG fans/market. By making it action/cinematic based, they can hope to attract other fans from WRPGs, action-adventure games, etc. That's what I think is happening. I can also only hope it doesn't lead to Square Enix dumbing down the overall game but I trust Tetsuya Nomura will do the game justice.

Whatever the reason, FFXV looks to take FF in a new direction and I love where it is going.

It's not a question of goggles...... it's a question of the franchise's history. Like I  said time and time again, if this is going to play like something else, they should just call it something else and continue the numbered FFs in their tradition.

Same answer to Turkish.

Well it has a similar combat system to Kingdom Hearts so I'd say that's a good thing.

NobleTeam360 said:
Well it has a similar combat system to Kingdom Hearts so I'd say that's a good thing.

This.

Change it to Gaming Industry has lost it's way then maybe I'll play.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
Areym said:

Calling nostalgia goggles on you, good sir.

I think i've played every FF from one all the way to 13 (granted, i've only actually finished 7, 10, and 13. Currently playing 8 and 12) and FFXV looks like the best FF in the series. I am glad it doesn't have that achaic turn-based battles systems that some RPGs refuse to get rid off. Action and Hack-and-Slash RPGs are superior is every way. In a real fight, you don't wait for your opponent to hit you. You dodge/block/counter that shit with finesse and that's what this game is going for. There is no reason, this day in age, for me not to be able to enter and leave a fight unscratched, assuming I'm skillful enough. Turn-based battles are archaic, no other way around it in my honest opinion and for the record, RPGs are my main genre.

This is my most hyped final fantasy game since Crisis Core. The setting looks great, the characters look interesting, the battle system looks badass. I can't see how this is not a step in the right direction for final fantasy. The only think I can say is I'm curious about the party system. During the demo, Noctis's party only appeared briefly to assist Noctis. I would be dissapointed if they weren't always present in battles but it would not stop me from getting the game. Although Wikipedia says that members are present and can be switched around so I don't know anymore.

Final Fantasy wants to appeal to a larger audience other than the every-decreasing JRPG fans/market. By making it action/cinematic based, they can hope to attract other fans from WRPGs, action-adventure games, etc. That's what I think is happening. I can also only hope it doesn't lead to Square Enix dumbing down the overall game but I trust Tetsuya Nomura will do the game justice.

Whatever the reason, FFXV looks to take FF in a new direction and I love where it is going.

It's not a question of goggles...... it's a question of the franchise's history. Like I  said time and time again, if this is going to play like something else, they should just call it something else and continue the numbered FFs in their tradition.

Same answer to Turkish.

Dude, move on. Games have to adapt or evolve to the times or they become niche/outdated. You either move on with the times or get left behind.

The only real difference is the battle system. Well that's the only change in the overall game we have seen. It will probably have a robust story, open-world setting, customization in equipment/magic, etc. 

Just cause it plays different, doesn't make it any else of a FF game than it's predecessors. At least give it a chance when it hits.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

happydolphin said:
Wright said:
happydolphin said:

Am I the only one who was horribly lost when watching the FFXV gameplay demo? I can barely recognize Final Fantasy anymore. I only played a portion of FFXII and the last FF I played significantly was X (which I'm still playing). I have no idea what FFXV was and what I was watching.....

Anyone else in the same boat?

Define "way". Every entry in the Final Fantasy tends to be drastically different than its predecessor.

Turn-based rpg for starters.

Fantasy setting for another (medieval or future).

Each iteration of Final Fantasy has always be about change. The fact that it was turned based so long was more about the genre itself than about the true core of FF. Now more and more RPGs are using active battle systems and FFXV is a culmination of that.

For such a high profile series id rather it be this way than them sticking to a formula that frankly has gotten stale and boring. There are plenty of traditional turn based combat system RPGs out there to play if that is your sticking point.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

^dharh, I've answered that argument repeatedly. It's incorrect.

Areym said:

Dude, move on. Games have to adapt or evolve to the times or they become niche/outdated. You either move on with the times or get left behind.

The only real difference is the battle system. Well that's the only change in the overall game we have seen. It will probably have a robust story, open-world setting, customization in equipment/magic, etc. 

Just cause it plays different, doesn't make it any else of a FF game than it's predecessors. At least give it a chance when it hits.

What would make it not a final fantasy to you?

Take your favorite game and alter it radically (basically virtually unrecognizable). Would you be happy?

No.

happydolphin said:
RenCutypoison said:

^This

Seriously people, stop hating games because of their games. Look at it like a new IP.

Resident Evil 6 and DMC were good games, would have been megatons if they were new ips.

But then "fans" ' community took em down.

FFVII was a good game. FFVI was an amazing game.

I can still play them, why would I want a clone ?

Old is no better. New is better. 

Because now you can play new games and old ones. 

Nostalgia googles are whore. Everything old looks amazing with them on.

Now I see people that pooped on FFXII when they played it saying now "That game was amazing"

That's just ridiculous.

It has nothing to do with this. If they wanted to change the architecture (like say final fantasy tactics), they should just call it something else. That's how it's always been and they shouldn't force a new style on the gamers. People who are looking forward to the next mainline final fantasy have mostly expected a fantasy turn-based RPG, and most departures to this were spinoff, bar the exception (FFXI/XIV). I'm not sure why that suddently has to change for the sake of loving games the way they are.

Turn by turn is dead since VII, except for X. This has nothing to do with final fantasy brand.

RenCutypoison said:

Turn by turn is dead since VII, except for X. This has nothing to do with final fantasy brand.

Roooite.