Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy has lost its way

Tagged games:

I hear ya

I have no idea what I was watching 90 48.13%

It's exactly like a fina... 94 50.27%

Total:184
happydolphin said:
VXIII said:

Kitase :  I think the nature of the franchise is to present something new each time,” Kitase said. “In the global market we see many players moving away from games that used turn-based systems toward what you might term an action RPG.

Final Fantasy XIII‘s battle system moved towards action in its display, but remained turn-based at heart. The next Final Fantasy may see even bigger change.

http://gematsu.com/2011/11/kitase-final-fantasy-xv-could-be-an-action-rpg

Regarding bold, I've discussed that in at least 2 posts so far. Kitase may think that changing the game so as to making it enter a whole other genre is acceptable, but most of us considered FFXI and FXIV very different games, being MMOs and all, I don't see why this is any different...

I understand what you are saying,  I just think this game isn't for you :)

Hope you give it a chance though, I've been following its development and I know how much passion was put into it. Nomura even had dream on how to use Ice in a strategic way in battle.  XV is going to be great for what it is, I'm sure.

Around the Network
Pristine20 said:
I hate to say it but S-E's biggest problem is listening to fans not the other way around strangely. The FF fanbase is the most unpleaseable in the history of mankind. I hope they just make the best game they can and those of us who enjoy great games will enjoy it. Regardless of whether it utilizes the battle system from the 90s or even becomes an action game.

Good game is good, end of story

^This

Seriously people, stop hating games because of their games. Look at it like a new IP.

Resident Evil 6 and DMC were good games, would have been megatons if they were new ips.

But then "fans" ' community took em down.

FFVII was a good game. FFVI was an amazing game.

I can still play them, why would I want a clone ?

Old is no better. New is better. 

Because now you can play new games and old ones. 

Nostalgia googles are whore. Everything old looks amazing with them on.

Now I see people that pooped on FFXII when they played it saying now "That game was amazing"

That's just ridiculous.

RenCutypoison said:

^This

Seriously people, stop hating games because of their games. Look at it like a new IP.

Resident Evil 6 and DMC were good games, would have been megatons if they were new ips.

But then "fans" ' community took em down.

FFVII was a good game. FFVI was an amazing game.

I can still play them, why would I want a clone ?

Old is no better. New is better. 

Because now you can play new games and old ones. 

Nostalgia googles are whore. Everything old looks amazing with them on.

Now I see people that pooped on FFXII when they played it saying now "That game was amazing"

That's just ridiculous.

It has nothing to do with this. If they wanted to change the architecture (like say final fantasy tactics), they should just call it something else. That's how it's always been and they shouldn't force a new style on the gamers. People who are looking forward to the next mainline final fantasy have mostly expected a fantasy turn-based RPG, and most departures to this were spinoff, bar the exception (FFXI/XIV). I'm not sure why that suddently has to change for the sake of loving games the way they are.

VXIII said:
happydolphin said:
VXIII said:

Kitase :  I think the nature of the franchise is to present something new each time,” Kitase said. “In the global market we see many players moving away from games that used turn-based systems toward what you might term an action RPG.

Final Fantasy XIII‘s battle system moved towards action in its display, but remained turn-based at heart. The next Final Fantasy may see even bigger change.

http://gematsu.com/2011/11/kitase-final-fantasy-xv-could-be-an-action-rpg

Regarding bold, I've discussed that in at least 2 posts so far. Kitase may think that changing the game so as to making it enter a whole other genre is acceptable, but most of us considered FFXI and FXIV very different games, being MMOs and all, I don't see why this is any different...

I understand what you are saying,  I just think this game isn't for you :)

Hope you give it a chance though, I've been following its development and I know how much passion was put into it. Nomura even had dream on how to use Ice in a strategic way in battle.  XV is going to be great for what it is, I'm sure.

so am guessing your ok with the battle system where hes jumping in tanks and robots shooting people during battle thats ok? thats wat we want ff to turn into seriously?

happydolphin said:
Pristine20 said:
I hate to say it but S-E's biggest problem is listening to fans not the other way around strangely. The FF fanbase is the most unpleaseable in the history of mankind. I hope they just make the best game they can and those of us who enjoy great games will enjoy it. Regardless of whether it utilizes the battle system from the 90s or even becomes an action game.

Good game is good, end of story

I would never argue that this wouldn't be an interesting spin-off.

It just isn't Final Fantasy proper, to me. You're free to disagree, it doesn't make you a lesser gamer or fan.

But one thing you can't argue is that this is usual or the FF way. I'm sorry you just can't.

I like Final Fantasy's spinoffs a lot more than their main titles. I mean, Tactics still had insane opportunity cost for picking jobs, and Crisis Core had that random leveling up thing, but Duodecim had the balls to end on a TPK. If anything, the major FF titles suffer from top-down control stifling creativity and communication. I suspect that's exactly what happened to XIII's script.

Really, I expect Final Fantasy to play something like a Zelda game: the elements from the past are about giving me a sense of nostalgia and deja vu, not about limiting what I expect the developers have done this time around.

Around the Network
Panama said:
Versus 13 was supposed to be an action RPG spin off by the creator of KH, so it's not surprising if main series fans feel lost or disinterested in it.

*points at this comment to everyone in this thread*
This game is headed by Nomura. Don't expect it to be Final Fantasy as you know it. Additionally, don't take it as the indication of where the Final Fantasy series is going (even though 99% of the people playing it will do that).

I expect this small disconnect to become somewhat of an issue between the Final Fantasy "dinosaur" fans and new-age Final Fantasy "flashy HD guns and explosions amuses me" fans when Final Fantasy XVI comes and it's either back to the old style (ATB or even some form of turn based) or another action RPG (like Kingdom Hearts). However, that issue is many years away (since SE plans to milk FFXV for sequels until we die) so, we'll just have to wait and see...

I really liked the trailer and in general I've never been interested in FF, so you're right it has changed.

How the hell two great game companies could turn into crap I have no idea

Squaresoft and Enix

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

I played many old school FFs, but I prefer that they try new gameplay mechanics, being dragged to a scenario to have a turn style combat like NES-SNES-PS1 FFs, is outdated.

happydolphin said:

The polls already indicate what I was expecting so far...

Looks like the Final Fantasy us dinosaurs built for you younglings (by buying them) is a thing of the past..... Enjoy your new worlds.

Calling nostalgia goggles on you, good sir.

I think i've played every FF from one all the way to 13 (granted, i've only actually finished 7, 10, and 13. Currently playing 8 and 12) and FFXV looks like the best FF in the series. I am glad it doesn't have that achaic turn-based battles systems that some RPGs refuse to get rid off. Action and Hack-and-Slash RPGs are superior is every way. In a real fight, you don't wait for your opponent to hit you. You dodge/block/counter that shit with finesse and that's what this game is going for. There is no reason, this day in age, for me not to be able to enter and leave a fight unscratched, assuming I'm skillful enough. Turn-based battles are archaic, no other way around it in my honest opinion and for the record, RPGs are my main genre.

This is my most hyped final fantasy game since Crisis Core. The setting looks great, the characters look interesting, the battle system looks badass. I can't see how this is not a step in the right direction for final fantasy. The only think I can say is I'm curious about the party system. During the demo, Noctis's party only appeared briefly to assist Noctis. I would be dissapointed if they weren't always present in battles but it would not stop me from getting the game. Although Wikipedia says that members are present and can be switched around so I don't know anymore.

Final Fantasy wants to appeal to a larger audience other than the every-decreasing JRPG fans/market. By making it action/cinematic based, they can hope to attract other fans from WRPGs, action-adventure games, etc. That's what I think is happening. I can also only hope it doesn't lead to Square Enix dumbing down the overall game but I trust Tetsuya Nomura will do the game justice.

Whatever the reason, FFXV looks to take FF in a new direction and I love where it is going.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian