By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy has lost its way

Tagged games:

I hear ya

I have no idea what I was watching 90 48.13%

It's exactly like a fina... 94 50.27%

Total:184

Thanks Basil, that's some interesting insider knowledge. But I'm sad to know that the direction towards a more action/adventure was the case since then.

deskpro2k3 said:
Forget about FFXV for now. Sign up for FFXIV Beta. Link and awesome trailers is in my sig. :)

Yeah, I was very tempted to buy it I have a PS3 but I can't afford to register to an MMO in all honesty. If I did it would without a doubt be FFIV.

Around the Network
SlayerOfPrey said:
Mummelmann said:
It lost its way with XIII and keeps going downhill, much like all other old franchises today.

It started with X actually, Story was good but it had the same linearity as XIII. Kitase sucks as a developer. XII was ver awesome in its openess but the story wasnt as compelling as the others. But yeah kitase started this crap. He screwed up FF for a whole generation of consoles.

I suppose you're right, even though I liked X. The series started a system not unlike GTA, a large open world available only when you reached a certain point in the story, XIII was really bad with this, completely linear until far, far into the game when you could sort of free-roam.

FFXV is going for western RPG style thats what their direction is i guess...

Tetsuya Nomura is very capable game developer; he knows his stuff. So I think he will do a great game.

Kitase :  “I think the nature of the franchise is to present something new each time,” Kitase said. “In the global market we see many players moving away from games that used turn-based systems toward what you might term an action RPG.

Final Fantasy XIII‘s battle system moved towards action in its display, but remained turn-based at heart. The next Final Fantasy may see even bigger change.

http://gematsu.com/2011/11/kitase-final-fantasy-xv-could-be-an-action-rpg

NiKKoM said:
VXIII said:

I'm sorry but you username is hilarious... xD

Hahaha, I know xD. As I said before, my username shows how much faith that I have in this title, I knew it was coming all along and gonna be a masterpiece, unlike .. let say...  you for example.

Around the Network
VXIII said:

Kitase :  I think the nature of the franchise is to present something new each time,” Kitase said. “In the global market we see many players moving away from games that used turn-based systems toward what you might term an action RPG.

Final Fantasy XIII‘s battle system moved towards action in its display, but remained turn-based at heart. The next Final Fantasy may see even bigger change.

http://gematsu.com/2011/11/kitase-final-fantasy-xv-could-be-an-action-rpg

Regarding bold, I've discussed that in at least 2 posts so far. Kitase may think that changing the game so as to making it enter a whole other genre is acceptable, but most of us considered FFXI and FXIV very different games, being MMOs and all, I don't see why this is any different...

I'm probably one of the minority of Final Fantasy fans that is open to dramatic departures in the series. Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my all-time favorite games based on the franchise, I liked Crisis Core and Dissidia (action-oriented titles), and there really hasn't been a main entry that I did not like (outside of the MMOs, which I've never really played). While I was hoping for a XV that used a new setting, characters, and story instead of a re-branding of Versus XIII, I'll still give it a chance, despite it featuring a wildly different battle system.

HokageTenshi said:

FFXV is going for western RPG style thats what their direction is i guess...

You mean HUGE but empty world, soulless and nameless main character,  and storyless plot? 

...No

I hate to say it but S-E's biggest problem is listening to fans not the other way around strangely. The FF fanbase is the most unpleaseable in the history of mankind. I hope they just make the best game they can and those of us who enjoy great games will enjoy it. Regardless of whether it utilizes the battle system from the 90s or even becomes an action game.

Good game is good, end of story

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Pristine20 said:
I hate to say it but S-E's biggest problem is listening to fans not the other way around strangely. The FF fanbase is the most unpleaseable in the history of mankind. I hope they just make the best game they can and those of us who enjoy great games will enjoy it. Regardless of whether it utilizes the battle system from the 90s or even becomes an action game.

Good game is good, end of story

I would never argue that this wouldn't be an interesting spin-off.

It just isn't Final Fantasy proper, to me. You're free to disagree, it doesn't make you a lesser gamer or fan.

But one thing you can't argue is that this is usual or the FF way. I'm sorry you just can't.