By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy has lost its way

Tagged games:

I hear ya

I have no idea what I was watching 90 48.13%

It's exactly like a fina... 94 50.27%

Total:184

I see your point, but I think FF has always just meant "a high-quality jrpg". I don't think it's ever really been a franchise, but more of a brand name.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
It's not a question of goggles...... it's a question of the franchise's history. Like I said time and time again, if this is going to play like something else, they should just call it something else and continue the numbered FFs in their tradition.

Same answer to Turkish.

My thoughts exactly.
At what point will the changes that some see as "innovation" and "reinventing Final Fantasy" be actually realized as, this series isn't anything like Final Fantasy anymore? Innovation and reinvention was done in FFX-2's and FFXIII's battle system. Those are great example of ATB becoming more modernized, fast paced, and fun without getting rid of Final Fantasy's core. Taking the series to a whole different genre =/= keeping up with the times and being creative. If people want an action RPG, they can play Kingdom Hearts or the Tales of series. There's no real reason to change FF that drastically besides pleasing the casual crowd with a simple game like Kingdom Hearts and slapping the FF name on the cover that will assure good sales.

I find changing FFXII: Versus to FFXV was just a money move (not a move towards "innovation/reinvention) since it's the same resources but now they don't have to make two games and if XV does well, they can pour out sequels/sidestories for years and years to come just like Kingdom Hearts.

But...I mean, Square Enix hasn't been about integrity, they've been about money. To expect them to treat the FF series with some respect is a crazy request. The gaming industry is losing its way slowly and money is the sole reason. 

Don't care if it did. It's better than FFXIII.

Besides, Final Fantasy lost it's way when FFX was released.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

adriane23 said:

How do you know that without playing it?

OT: I feel the same as you, but I moved on after FF X. I decided to ignore all FF games at this point, at least until they bring a true turn based RPG

Nintendo and PC gamer

theprof00 said:
I see your point, but I think FF has always just meant "a high-quality jrpg". I don't think it's ever really been a franchise, but more of a brand name.

Until Final Fantasy XIII that is.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
RenCutypoison said:

Turn by turn is dead since VII, except for X. This has nothing to do with final fantasy brand.

Final Fantasy VIII, IX, XII and XIII are all turn based.

Signature goes here!

adriane23 said:

nnn-

I could debate you to the ends of the earth on why FFX is one of the better FF games through its story, character, battle system, and dungeons but that's another thread for another day. 

happydolphin said:

^dharh, I've answered that argument repeatedly. It's incorrect.

I've read your replies and you are simply wrong. When it comes to FF all things are on the table except that it still must 'feel' like an RPG and it must be epic. So long as they accomplish that being turn based is simply not a factor.

I've seen you say in this thread that people are just too young to remember. I'm not and I still disagree with you.

Prior to FFXIII and FFXV they have pushed the bounderies of the combat system acouple times. FFXII with the ability program your characters and have automated combat encounters. FFVII they had the active time battle system with each character having a (visible) timer, allowing you to switch characters who've had their timer ready, they even let you switch between Wait and Active which basically did away with turned based aspect of the enemy altogether and turned it into a hybrid active battle system, FFIV was the first to implement that style of system. FFX went to a queued system, as im sure you're well aware since you're playing right now, which actually more resemlbes the traditional system you want, in a new way.

There have been streaks of using the same style system for multiple releases, but it has never been the exact same combat system throughout the series. The evolution of the series has been plain as day. If you take a minute to look at it you can see the steps they have taken from FFX to FFXII to FFXIII and now to FFXV.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

TruckOSaurus said:
theprof00 said:

Until Final Fantasy XIII that is.

ff13 had the potential to be a great game. It's just too bad that it only seemed to have half as much content as a normal ff game.

TruckOSaurus said:
RenCutypoison said:

Turn by turn is dead since VII, except for X. This has nothing to do with final fantasy brand.

Final Fantasy VIII, IX, XII and XIII are all turn based.

Time based since IV seems more accurate than turn based.

In FFXV gameplay video you see the hero can attack every X frames and ennemies every Y frames. If ATB is turn based, then anything is.

Since IV Final Fantasy aimed at being moire dynamic than other RPGs. Action RPG is a logical evolution.