By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy has lost its way

Tagged games:

I hear ya

I have no idea what I was watching 90 48.13%

It's exactly like a fina... 94 50.27%

Total:184
kupomogli said:
I thought the FF15 trailer looked pretty awesome. I don't care what the game plays like as long as it's good.

I agree with you that Final Fantasy has lost it's way, but not based on the same thing you're basing it on. I've already went into depth in another thread, but the last four main Final Fantasy games have been garbage in terms of enjoyment in my opinion. 10, 11, 12, and 13. Games like the Wii Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles titles, My Life as a King, My Life as a Dark Lord. Crisis Core which isn't terrible but gameplay is repetitive and the story mostly sucked. Final Fantasy Theatrythm and all the other overpriced microtransaction games that aren't any good. This in my opinion all shows how Final Fantasy has lost its way.

There have been good games though. I actually liked Dirge of Cerberus. It might have had some stupid crap like double jump that doesn't do anything and the story might not have been very good, but it was a very well done third person shooter that was fun to play. A ton of challenge that unlocked after beating the game. Dissidia Final Fantasy is extremely unbalanced but an incredibly fun fighting game. Storyline is complete garbage, but it's a fun game, especially when playing against human players. Final Fantasy 10-2 had amazing gameplay, but you might notice a theme. Just like the others, the storyline sucks. The last chapter of FF4 The After Years makes the game good.

So anyways. It's got a few titles that aren't remakes that are good, but the majority of their games suck. It's been 12 years since Final Fantasy 10 and most titles from that time to now have sucked. Maybe Sakaguchi took all the key members of Squaresoft when he left to create Mistwalker. We know he took some of them. This could be the reason Square Enix has sucked balls for the last 10-12 years whenever they left.

I hear you, but final fantasy always had spin-offs from Chocobo racing to Mystic Quest. Those were always of variable quality.

I'm really talkin' about the mainline final fantasies. XI and XIV were tolerable but considered another class. Here, action-RPG is close enough to make it an affront to the game's genre. (especially this being not a 2nd game in a trio X-XI-XII, XIII-XIV-XV).

Around the Network

It is clearly a combat system inspired in Kingdom Hearts, in other words, it will probably be good, because KH is very good.

TruckOSaurus said:
RenCutypoison said:

Turn by turn is dead since VII, except for X. This has nothing to do with final fantasy brand.

Final Fantasy VIII, IX, XII and XIII are all turn based.

And X-2.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Soriku said:
The combat system is basically KH + teleporting and real-time weapon changing. It only looks confusing because they haven't really explained how everything works yet, nor has anyone played it to get a feel for it...

I'm not sure why you're equating "I'm confused" to "FF has lost its way."

It's the same because I've been playing FF games since forever, and this (apart from XII) is the first time I'm literally lost. I wasn't lost with FFVIII despite the changes.

My confusion can easily be mapped to fundamental points of variation with prior games that violate the genre FF is in. I've gone over it in length throughout the thread it's not just a "it's my tastes" kind of thing there are rational reasons for my observation.

Ultimately, my question asked to many people here is if your favorite game series is completely transformed in almost every way imaginable, will you be happy? New genre, new characters, fantasy to modern, different gameplay mechanisms, completely unrecognizable music style (folk to metal), that kind of thing. There is room for variance, but changing the genre,  to me at least, makes it litterally a different game.

happydolphin said:
Soriku said:
The combat system is basically KH + teleporting and real-time weapon changing. It only looks confusing because they haven't really explained how everything works yet, nor has anyone played it to get a feel for it...

I'm not sure why you're equating "I'm confused" to "FF has lost its way."

It's the same because I've been playing FF games since forever, and this (apart from XII) is the first time I'm literally lost. I wasn't lost with FFVIII despite the changes.

My confusion can easily be mapped to fundamental points of variation with prior games that violate the genre FF is in. I've gone over it in length throughout the thread it's not just a "it's my tastes" kind of thing there are rational reasons for my observation.

Ultimately, my question asked to many people here is if your favorite game series is completely transformed in almost every way imaginable, will you be happy? New genre, new characters, fantasy to modern, different gameplay mechanisms, completely unrecognizable music style (folk to metal), that kind of thing. There is room for variance, but changing the genre,  to me at least, makes it litterally a different game.

I don't agree with the "fantasy to modern change". Final Fantasy VII is as modern as it can get. The only difference is that FFXV will apparently take place in the "real world". But there are the monsters, certainly airships, the crazy swords, the magic, the crystals and etc.

Final Fantasy has completely gameplay mechanisms for each game since forever, and that's probably the main reason why I absolutely love the series. FFXIII doesn't play anything like XII, that doesn't play like X, which doesn't play like IX, etc. You're probably "shocked" because the game looks like an action-rpg, but really, if you think about it, the only difference between this and XII and XIII is that there won't be an ATB anymore.

Personally, I couldn't be more hyped about FFXV. Bonus hype since FFXIII is one of my favorites of the series. And yes, I played all of them, from I to XIII.

Around the Network
wolfofthepack said:
VXIII said:
happydolphin said:
VXIII said:

Kitase :  I think the nature of the franchise is to present something new each time,” Kitase said. “In the global market we see many players moving away from games that used turn-based systems toward what you might term an action RPG.

Final Fantasy XIII‘s battle system moved towards action in its display, but remained turn-based at heart. The next Final Fantasy may see even bigger change.

http://gematsu.com/2011/11/kitase-final-fantasy-xv-could-be-an-action-rpg

I understand what you are saying,  I just think this game isn't for you :)

Hope you give it a chance though, I've been following its development and I know how much passion was put into it. Nomura even had dream on how to use Ice in a strategic way in battle.  XV is going to be great for what it is, I'm sure.

so am guessing your ok with the battle system where hes jumping in tanks and robots shooting people during battle thats ok? thats wat we want ff to turn into seriously?

Don' forget the behemoth and how can you climb on his huge horn...  that was awesome :)

Yes, Action based battle system seems like a natural progress. Why choose the word "attack" is better than actually attacking ? , Action based battle system keeps the player hooked, it requires more skill, and yet,  it can be strategic, it doesn't have to be flashy.

Anyways, Versus is well received by majority of fans, It is Nomura vision of what the franchise could be, give it a chance.

artur-fernand said:

I don't agree with the "fantasy to modern change". Final Fantasy VII is as modern as it can get. The only difference is that FFXV will apparently take place in the "real world". But there are the monsters, certainly airships, the crazy swords, the magic, the crystals and etc.

Final Fantasy has completely gameplay mechanisms for each game since forever, and that's probably the main reason why I absolutely love the series. FFXIII doesn't play anything like XII, that doesn't play like X, which doesn't play like IX, etc. You're probably "shocked" because the game looks like an action-rpg, but really, if you think about it, the only difference between this and XII and XIII is that there won't be an ATB anymore.

Personally, I couldn't be more hyped about FFXV. Bonus hype since FFXIII is one of my favorites of the series. And yes, I played all of them, from I to XIII.

I mean, I already explained this a million times. Despite the changes in all the FFs I've played, I was always able to recognize the structure (RPG, turn-based, random enemy encounter). With FFXII that changed a bit, I was a bit surprised but it was still somewhere Final Fantasy (I've only played a tiny bit of it). Here, it's barely the same game due to a change in genre.

@game world. I realize there are surreal elements (I've said as much), but the world itself is too current-day, much like the characters, and it's not a fantasy so much as it is a modern fantasy. I can't say the same about FFVII which, despite being modern, still didn't look like anything we have today.

Soriku said:

They didn't change the genre...it's still an RPG. It's just an action RPG now. But Versus/XV has been an action RPG for like 7 years now. Actually the game was never intended to be a mainline title from the beginning  because of its concepts/direction, but they just decided to name it XV now. It's not indicative of where the series as a whole is going. They're still going with the original idea they've had for years.

As for your last question, it's a case by case basis. Obviously in a FF game I don't want the same characters and setting all the time. They change it up every title. The modern setting is part of XV's original concept (again, conceived years ago) and that hasn't changed. The gameplay always changes too. The last mainline FF (excluding games like X-2) that was traditionally turn based was FF X...which came out 12 years. FF XII had a real time command-based battle system, FF XIII uses some turn based + action hybrid. They're trying a full on action battle system now, but the game is being made by the old Kingdom Hearts team, so it's a question of what do you expect? As for music, pretty much any style of music can be good depending on the composer, and with different games comes different music. XV is composed by Yoko Shimomura, you shouidn't worry about the soundtrack.

We both agree that apart from FFXI and XIV which are MMOs, this is the first time FF becomes an action RPG. Call it a genre, call it a sub-genre, it radically alters the game at its foundation. It is now more about speed and agility than it is about strategy. It will still be about strategy, but from what we saw in the video that is now shared with something much more important: 3 dimensional space gameplay, real-time dodging, parrying and blocking. This has little to do with what we had before.

About music, I wasn't worried for FFXV, I was giving that as an example of how a game can become irrecognisable by a player where he asks himself if this is the game the label says it is. You can call Tony Hawks a Final Fantasy, but that doesn't make it a final fantasy. You can call Mass Effect Final Fantasy, but that doesn't make it Final Fantasy. What makes a game a Final Fantasy is, so far, a turn-based game set in a fantastical worlds, with certain staple monsters and recurring musical themes and icons. A lot of that is being challenged. I understand that there are reasons for all this, but that doesn't justify the fact that this is no longer final fantasy. Unless I'm not seeing it right, or unless there is much more to the game that likens it enough to final fantasy to forgive the differences.

I don't know what you are talking about. I haven't been this excited for a FF game since 2002. Besides, this one looks really cool. I have been waiting for 13 Versus/15 for quite a while now.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:
I don't know what you are talking about. I haven't been this excited for a FF game since 2002.

I kind of explained it a million times.