By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy has lost its way

Tagged games:

I hear ya

I have no idea what I was watching 90 48.13%

It's exactly like a fina... 94 50.27%

Total:184

Good. Nobody is forcing you  to explain it again.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

Here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3xKbPooKAo

It's even better than the first time xD, in all honesty, if that is not Final Fantasy then I don't know what is :)

AZWification said:

Good. Nobody is forcing you  to explain it again.

I would be very dry to you but you're new so I'll be nice. Take the time to read the thread as I've taken the time to reply to almost every post.

@Soriku,

Even if X was made 12 years ago, the gap between it and XV are 2 non-MMO games and 2 MMO games. We never count the MMO games and I'm not sure why you do. The games have basically nothing to do with the numbered FFs and don't have the same sales pattern at all, don't reach the same market at all.

As for the non-MMO games (XII and XIII), both of them are turn-based, albeit ATB, they are still  turn based. This is neither, or at least is so far distant from turn that it is for all suits and purpose action. I'm not sure how you don't see the difference between FFXV and FFXIII in terms of the degree of action versus turn-based nature. Yes, both XII and XIII blur the line, but that was tolerated. Now, it's all but launched to a whole new place (Action-based gaming).

Soriku said:

XII isn't turn based. Neither is FF XIII really. Command based, not turn based. I don't think the next mainline FF will be an action RPG like XV. This game was always envisioned to be an action RPG even around the time that FF XII came out.

Exactly, because it was actually a spin-off from the get-go!!

Command-based, how is that different from turn-based? You place commands and your units take turn to play them out. Instead of making your commands during the battle, you make them prior to battle, some during battle. It's still turn-based to a degree. I agree it blurs the lines, but it's tolerable (in terms of identity). FFXV isn't imho and I've given my reasons why but I'll reiterate: the focus on commands and turns is lost, and now a lot of focus is on action, real-time timing, blocking, climbing, etc.

@VXIII -> I finally get your username :) I agree that the trailer video is more final fantasy-like than the gameplay video, but still it's not what I'd expect from a numbered FF, and with historical reason. Thinking of it not as a numbered Final Fantasy, I can admit it looks amazing. I am curious to see if through playing it I will recognize Final Fantasy (Crystal theme, swords, castles, etc.).

I welcome the change, Final fantasy has never been about turn base combat. It just started with turn base combat.
I tried playing X again and man I hated the random encounters every few steps and there is a fight, I just hated it. The combat isn't engaging anymore or something to be super exited about. Back in the days when it got released it was extremely fun. But its not engaging anymore for me. The combat system of XIII was ok, the only thing that made it fun was the shifts between paradigms.

For me Final Fantasy is about the summons,(Bahamut, Ifrit, Shiva etc.) Magic and celebrity names across the games. These are unique to the FF games. The rich story telling and fun side quests like Omega weapon or Ultima weapon or flying in a airship and finding new places to explore. I'm pumped for this game, I know nomura will get all these things in the game. Can't wait

Around the Network
Soriku said:

When I think of turn based I think of characters staying still in an area while an action is made through a menu. Which is similar to XII and XIII but not exactly. Haven't played FF XIII yet outside of the XIII-2 demo but there's a very different feel between X and XII, even factoring in other sorts of turn based RPGs with different systems and mechanics than FF X.

I know, and I agree. But the difference was not completely welcome and was I think tolerated by the original fans. The change furthermore of XV is so great that I believe it causes the game to be irrecognizable from the rest of the series.

Of course it looks great, the game is made by the same studio as the other games and has been in development for 7 years. Having said that, I still hold that it's not Final Fantasy as we've known it, and Final Fantasy has truly turned into something completely unrecognizable. Whether that's good or bad is anybody's choice, but I personally liked my random encounters and non-modern worlds, as well as the turn-based nature of the games. I would welcome this as a spin-off, but I guess that if it's made by the same studio, then it will be great and I just need to count my losses and embrace the new. It does though signify a new era in gaming, and a new era for Final Fantasy. A new era in gaming because Final Fantasy was so pivotal a franchise for all this time, and now it's become something else and so this marks the beginning of a new era in gaming, imho.

Series always went hot and cold for me anyways

4-6 - Awesome
7 - Good
8 - Meh
9 - Great
10 - Terrible
10/2 - More Terrible
11 - N/A
12 - Okay
13 - Good
13/2 - More Good
14 - N/A

--------

I know some people look over that and scream bloody murder. To me, the series had its golden age in 16-bit era and from then on has been all over the map. I honestly gave up on the series in PS2 era, so I had much lower expectations for 13 and was fine with it as stopped comparing it to 4-6 era.

All that said, I plan on getting 15 with a blank slate of expectations and see what ever it is and appreciate that rather than what I think an FF game should be.

Augen said:
All that said, I plan on getting 15 with a blank slate of expectations and see what ever it is and appreciate that rather than what I think an FF game should be.

I don't doubt the game will be excellent, and might consider looking into it. The thread is about whether it is Final Fantasy as we know it or something completely new. And I think so far we can all agree it has almost nothing to do with what the game has been in its tradition, it changed a bit in the recent entries, but now it's gone off the depend. The proof is that XV was actually intended as a spin-off so with that I rest my case.

Other than that let's move on and enjoy what the next era of Final Fantasy has in store for us.

theprof00 said:
I see your point, but I think FF has always just meant "a high-quality jrpg". I don't think it's ever really been a franchise, but more of a brand name.

Hallelujah, someone gets it. The name is repeated for recognition sake, thats pretty much it

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler