By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anti-used gaming policy is good for gamers.

Maybe if videogame developers didnt think they were working on the next big fucking Hollywood blockbuster, they wouldnt need mediocre games with small fanbases to sell 10 Million units.

The best way to increase profit, would be to actually start making videogames that people want to buy. Gaining consumer trust would be a start.

Stop cloning Call of Duty. Stop putting out unconvincing videogames. Stop developing games for 4-5 Years at a time. Stop putting out overpriced, shitty DLC. Stop putting DLC on the fucking disc. Stop advertising your product as something that it quite clearly isnt. Make a compelling product.

These companies need to stop blaming the consumer and look closer to home for the problems.

There is a reason why the Indie scene is doing so well right now. Its because they release new, good videogames, that dont cost a lot to make... And are worth the price you actually pay. Its controlled development and the likes of EA and Square Enix could learn a thing or two.

Around the Network
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
20happyballs said:

I'm tired of everyone getting all worked up about Microsoft's used game policy. It's for the developers. It's not like it's greedy for developers to ask of this. Developers are not selling discs, they are selling entertainment experiences. It's only right that they be able to charge per experience given, not the physical discs sold. No one seems to have a problem with app store games not being sharable. 

In all actuality, an anti-used game policy is what is needed to keep the gaming industry alive. We all know that with improved graphic fidelity,  the cost to develop a game will also increase. Consequently, game developers will need to find a way to be able to continue making a profit. The most obvious way to address this increase in development costs would be to increase the selling price of games. However, many of us would respond badly, myself included. Sure people will still buy games brand new when they are first released, but it is likely that more and more people will start to wait for these games to become cheaper and buy it used. Which means that any increase in revenue brought on by the increased sales price would be offset by gamers waiting to buy games used. 

In the end, it is not only the developers who are going to lose out, but also gamers. The increased difficulty for a developer to turn a profit will means less AAA quality games, less new IPs, and developers taking less risks overall. We're already seeing the affects of increased development costs in the current generation. Why do you think so many developers are making first person shooters? Why do you think that many developers are making sequels instead of new IPs? 

Bold: Let me be clear...

*Serious face*

If the hope (or survival) of the gaming industry depends on stripping its customers of rights and services, then my friend, it deserves to die!

*Even more serious face*

(IMO)

They have never been rights. They have been privileges. Digital game purchases are not resellable and nobody complains. You know why? Its because reselling a game you've bought and played is not actually a right. And IMO, I'd rather accept the used game policy than let the gaming industry die. That's just selfish.

Carl2291 said:
Maybe if videogame developers didnt think they were working on the next big fucking Hollywood blockbuster, they wouldnt need mediocre games with small fanbases to sell 10 Million units.

The best way to increase profit, would be to actually start making videogames that people want to buy. Gaining consumer trust would be a start.

Stop cloning Call of Duty. Stop putting out unconvincing videogames. Stop developing games for 4-5 Years at a time. Stop putting out overpriced, shitty DLC. Stop putting DLC on the fucking disc. Stop advertising your product as something that it quite clearly isnt. Make a compelling product.

These companies need to stop blaming the consumer and look closer to home for the problems.

There is a reason why the Indie scene is doing so well right now. Its because they release new, good videogames, that dont cost a lot to make... And are worth the price you actually pay. Its controlled development and the likes of EA and Square Enix could learn a thing or two.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I am very tired of reiterating the same counters to these same claims over and over again, but here goes. We do not exist to serve the needs of the developer. They exist to try to please us. It is not our responsibility to manage their business and make up for their inability to properly manage their finances and growth. And yes, they actually are selling us a disc. Unless you're going to try and tell me that when I buy a DVD, I don't own a digital video disc, but a 'license to watch the movie,' which would be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. We never heard a peep from them about disliking the used game market and how it was so amoral until they discovered a way to block it out or take a piece of the pie themselves.

And don't try the excuse that we don't complain when PC games have DRM-no one liked it there either, and it's why PC games get pirated exponentially more often than console games.

The long and short of it: if you don't think what they're doing will affect your buying decision, more power to you. But to try to spin this into anything that can be remotely positive for the consumer--that is just incorrect in every conceivable way.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
20happyballs said:
Serious_frusting said:
Everyone who owns a tv is not to let anyone else watch it, because tv companies are losing money so to gain profits a tv should be sold for every personal experience.

Oh, when you have a bluray or dvd remember not to lend it to someone or let they watch it because its anti director. What a load of crap.

The policy still allows you to share with family and friends. Its just reselling that is blocked. And besides, you didn't even address the main point of my post.

Which was what exactly?

How do you share? 

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Around the Network

well, it is correct that more money for developers means obviously more money to invest in games and an easier way to take more risks with games which could be a hit or a flop. if that is the only way for developers to stay alive is something i don't believe because they just will release asscreed and cod 25 to stay alive.

but the reason why developers don't take many risk anymore is because most oif them are already in the red and every flop could be their end. we just have to look at the financial data of companies like ea, ubisoft, take 2, they make a loss even with their big sellers. take 2 made a loss last year with games like borderlands 2. i believe ubisoft made a loss, ea makes often a loss... the only publishers which are really healthy right now are activision and maybe 2-3 others.

if developers have more money (if that would be the case is another question but they think so), they can increase the quality of their portfolio. i always wonder what gamers think why publishers want that. because for more money right? didn't gamers realize all the problems the gaming companies had the last years? do they think it will be easier next gen with probably even higher development costs?

No one would feel like they need to sell their games after they finished them if those games weren't disposable crap.

Developers "sometimes" get a bonus if a game does well. However, the developer gets paid a SALARY by the PUBLISHER who reaps the reward of the vast majority of a financial success. The publisher is also the one that takes the hit if a game does not do well because they came up with stupid policies (DRM, Online Pass, Rinse, Lather, Repeat (game dev cycle), copy another game, lock disc based content) then they blame it on the developers for not making the game great, and second hand sales as if all those second hand sales would have been full retail purchases. The majority of resale at GameStop goes towards a purchase of a NEW game. Used games that cost $5 - $10 less than a new copy don't sell well. Some people only get interested in a franchise/game/developer after trying their products via older used game or rentals causing them to buy a NEW game of that same type.

Used games only help the industry overall. Yes the industry is changing, but that is more so due to new technologies than lack of interest in gaming. Blocking used games will only hurt that companies reputation and earn them the scorn of prospective consumers.

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

Carl2291 said:

maybe consumers should stop asking for always better graphics then? people even complain already that xbox one is too weak and some even say that about ps4. but the same people don't want to pay for those extreme costs developers have because of that. they don't want dlc which is a way to get the enormous costs back, they don't want drm, they don't want higher game prices. gamers are against everything which could help developers but they still ask for "more power" all the time and already laugh about the possible graphics of xbox one. 

indie games are successful, but how many of them? don't you think for every successful story there are minimum the same amount of people who tried but failed with it? it's not as if we get 5000 indie games and all make a profit. you just don't hear about the indie developers which failed because they are all only a few guys big and nobody will talk about them. many guys just make an indie game in their freetime. if it's a success it's great and if not then, well, they still have another job... people who work for bigger developers or publishers don't have that. if they aren't successful they lose their jobs. but it's not easy to be successful with those costs you have nowadays. 

Carl2291 said:

This.

Game developers and publishers need to stop trying to shift the blame to the consumers all the friggin time. Rather they should make compelling products that people want to keep. Used games are a good way of ensuring this. If developers know that people have the option to trade in their games then there is more reason for them to try and make a product that has more value and will keep the consumer engaged for a long period of time. This in turn will lead to better gaming experiences. If not, devs have even more opportunities to make mediocre games that the consumers are stuck with. Look at Aliens Colonial Marines. I'm sure Sega would have liked it if there was no used game sales for that game.

Developers need to stop prioritising on pretentious crap that doesn't add much to the gaming experience. We don't need to see every single hair follicle on a person's body if it means the devs are going to go bust doing so. Indie games are constantly putting out good looking AND innovative gaming experiences at the same time by budgeting correctly. There is a reason why Nintendo 1st party games have been selling well for decades. It's not because they have been blocking used game sales. It's because they have their priorities straight and they understand that people play games for the gameplay experience, not to watch 5 hours of CG rendered cutscenes out of a 10 hour game. Then Square Enix wonders why they aren't making money. Even COD, yes COD does so well because it prioritises gameplay. People like to constantly hate on it by saying how crappy it's graphics are, but the developers at least understand that COD's success lies with the fact that the game runs with a butter smooth 60FPS and it's multiplayer experience, not because of how many polygons are on the screen. I don't see COD having problems with used game sales, because peope like to keep those games for the extensive MP mode that gives them fun for a long time.

If there are no used games, it won't just literally mean that every person will now start buying games new. No, people will just end up becoming more vigilant about what games they buy, which will just reduce game sales. People will also be much less willing to take risks and try out a new franchise like they may do now when buying a cheap used game, which could potentially lead to them buying sequels new. There are many factors here at play and it's not just a simple correlation of No Used Games=More New Game Sales.