By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anti-used gaming policy is good for gamers.

I'm tired of everyone getting all worked up about Microsoft's used game policy. It's for the developers. It's not like it's greedy for developers to ask of this. Developers are not selling discs, they are selling entertainment experiences. It's only right that they be able to charge per experience given, not the physical discs sold. No one seems to have a problem with app store games not being sharable. 

In all actuality, an anti-used game policy is what is needed to keep the gaming industry alive. We all know that with improved graphic fidelity,  the cost to develop a game will also increase. Consequently, game developers will need to find a way to be able to continue making a profit. The most obvious way to address this increase in development costs would be to increase the selling price of games. However, many of us would respond badly, myself included. Sure people will still buy games brand new when they are first released, but it is likely that more and more people will start to wait for these games to become cheaper and buy it used. Which means that any increase in revenue brought on by the increased sales price would be offset by gamers waiting to buy games used. 

In the end, it is not only the developers who are going to lose out, but also gamers. The increased difficulty for a developer to turn a profit will means less AAA quality games, less new IPs, and developers taking less risks overall. We're already seeing the affects of increased development costs in the current generation. Why do you think so many developers are making first person shooters? Why do you think that many developers are making sequels instead of new IPs? 

Around the Network

Anyone who tries to defend this is stupid!

User was warned for this post.

yo_john117

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

No.

pimpcoop said:
Anyone who tries to defend this is stupid!

Says the person who cannot even articulate an argument that goes against my post. Try. I feel that you'll have a hard time...

Around the Network
20happyballs said:

The increased difficulty for a developer to turn a profit will means less AAA quality games, less new IPs, and developers taking less risks overall.

Everyone who owns a tv is not to let anyone else watch it, because tv companies are losing money so to gain profits a tv should be sold for every personal experience.

Oh, when you have a bluray or dvd remember not to lend it to someone or let they watch it because its anti director. What a load of crap.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

20happyballs said:

I'm tired of everyone getting all worked up about Microsoft's used game policy. It's for the developers. It's not like it's greedy for developers to ask of this. Developers are not selling discs, they are selling entertainment experiences. It's only right that they be able to charge per experience given, not the physical discs sold. No one seems to have a problem with app store games not being sharable. 

In all actuality, an anti-used game policy is what is needed to keep the gaming industry alive. We all know that with improved graphic fidelity,  the cost to develop a game will also increase. Consequently, game developers will need to find a way to be able to continue making a profit. The most obvious way to address this increase in development costs would be to increase the selling price of games. However, many of us would respond badly, myself included. Sure people will still buy games brand new when they are first released, but it is likely that more and more people will start to wait for these games to become cheaper and buy it used. Which means that any increase in revenue brought on by the increased sales price would be offset by gamers waiting to buy games used. 

In the end, it is not only the developers who are going to lose out, but also gamers. The increased difficulty for a developer to turn a profit will means less AAA quality games, less new IPs, and developers taking less risks overall. We're already seeing the affects of increased development costs in the current generation. Why do you think so many developers are making first person shooters? Why do you think that many developers are making sequels instead of new IPs? 

Bold: Let me be clear...

*Serious face*

If the hope (or survival) of the gaming industry depends on stripping its customers of rights and services, then my friend, it deserves to die!

*Even more serious face*

(IMO)

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Serious_frusting said:
Everyone who owns a tv is not to let anyone else watch it, because tv companies are losing money so to gain profits a tv should be sold for every personal experience.

Oh, when you have a bluray or dvd remember not to lend it to someone or let they watch it because its anti director. What a load of crap.

The policy still allows you to share with family and friends. Its just reselling that is blocked. And besides, you didn't even address the main point of my post.

20happyballs said:
Serious_frusting said:

The policy still allows you to share with family and friends. Its just reselling that is blocked. And besides, you didn't even address the main point of my post.

I addressed the main point of your post and didn't reply.