By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Major Nelson: Official Statement on what was said yesterday (aka "always-on connection rumors"

Dusk said:
The guy was still an employee of MS and should be held accountable for his actions. Most companies do not allow this kind of garbage. Despite if he is in media relations/spokeperson or not people will see him as part of MS. Also...

Nikolai Mohilchock of The Workshop, who has previously worked on games in the Call of Duty franchise and on F.E.A.R. and Sorcery, decided to chime in that while he can’t talk about the rumors directly, “all I can say is be sure to pay your ISP bills.”
taken from gengame

The Workshop Experience, the company that has absolutely no current or future products with the Xbox, but instead has only worked on the PS3 and has future products announced for the PS4.   That company?

Yes, there's a reason why he can't "comment".

Around the Network
Adinnieken said:
gooch_destroyer said:
Adinnieken said:

Why?  Nothing has officially come from Microsoft saying that the Xbox 8 will require 100% a online connected console in order for owners to play games.

There are rumors.  There is an attempt by a Microsoft employee to say something funny.  But there is no official statement as to what features the Xbox 8 will have as far as DRM.  In fact.  As someone who watches Microsoft's patents very closely, there isn't even a single patent awarded to Microsoft that would seem to suggest Microsoft is even attempting to do anything differently from the what was implemented with the Xbox 360.  There are Kinect patents that move the bar as far as Kinect functionality, there are even Achievement and Avatar patents that seem to move the bar in terms of what Microsoft currently offers, but not DRM. 

Why would Microsoft even need a persistent DRM technology when it already has DRM that works with the Xbox 360?  There wouldn't even be a logical reason to take that off-line function of the current DRM and make it always connected.  The only need is to ensure that purchased content is licensed to one of the individuals playing the game or it's licensed to the device. 

If the content isn't licensed to the device, then yes it would need a connected console to verify that one of the players is licensed to use the content.  But again, that's how the console works today.

how'd you know it was being the Xbox 8? you mean like windows 8? you Xbox infinity would sound cooler imo.

btw he wasn't funny either. and that licensing thing, you mean in a way to prevent piracy?

It may have appeared he was being glib with a potential customer, but instead he was being sarcastic with a writer with BioWare that I'm sure he has a work relationship with.  The writer even has acknowledged that what was said between two people (i.e. a conversation) was taken out of context and not everything said was actually included in the original article.

DRM = Digital Rights Management.  DRM includes licensing.  Currently, any software purchased through Xbox LIVE includes two licenses.  A device license and a user license.  If content is downloaded to a console, it is licensed to that console, which allows any user on that device (at the time it was licensed) to play the game.  The user license allows that user to use the content regardless of the device, so long as they're connected to Xbox LIVE.  So if the device license and the user license do not match up, the user must be connected to Xbox LIVE. 

If Microsoft was to implement DRM from a retail disc standpoint, it could still generate a DRM license for the device and user all off-line, then confirm that license online. 

Yeah the guy is still a dick though. But anyway, as long as you're connected to X-Box Live? so if I wanted to borrow game I can't...sorry for not understanding.

Somini said:

What a sad attempt! I'm glad the MODs don't share your oversensitivity.

Back on topic, he may not be the official spokesman of Microsoft, but the company hasn't denied what he's said either. Which means one of two things;

Either it's true or they're gonna try and change it, which could result in a later reveal or launch of the Nextbox.

They didn't deny anything he said because he didn't say anything!

He said, I don't understand the problem with an always connected device? 

Not that the next Xbox will be an always connected device

He made a personal comment on a rumor, and offered a personal opinion about it.  He never commented on what features were a part of Xbox 8.

Adinnieken said:
gooch_destroyer said:
Adinnieken said:

Why?  Nothing has officially come from Microsoft saying that the Xbox 8 will require 100% a online connected console in order for owners to play games.

There are rumors.  There is an attempt by a Microsoft employee to say something funny.  But there is no official statement as to what features the Xbox 8 will have as far as DRM.  In fact.  As someone who watches Microsoft's patents very closely, there isn't even a single patent awarded to Microsoft that would seem to suggest Microsoft is even attempting to do anything differently from the what was implemented with the Xbox 360.  There are Kinect patents that move the bar as far as Kinect functionality, there are even Achievement and Avatar patents that seem to move the bar in terms of what Microsoft currently offers, but not DRM. 

Why would Microsoft even need a persistent DRM technology when it already has DRM that works with the Xbox 360?  There wouldn't even be a logical reason to take that off-line function of the current DRM and make it always connected.  The only need is to ensure that purchased content is licensed to one of the individuals playing the game or it's licensed to the device. 

If the content isn't licensed to the device, then yes it would need a connected console to verify that one of the players is licensed to use the content.  But again, that's how the console works today.

how'd you know it was being the Xbox 8? you mean like windows 8? you Xbox infinity would sound cooler imo.

btw he wasn't funny either. and that licensing thing, you mean in a way to prevent piracy?

It may have appeared he was being glib with a potential customer, but instead he was being sarcastic with a writer with BioWare that I'm sure he has a work relationship with.  The writer even has acknowledged that what was said between two people (i.e. a conversation) was taken out of context and not everything said was actually included in the original article.

DRM = Digital Rights Management.  DRM includes licensing.  Currently, any software purchased through Xbox LIVE includes two licenses.  A device license and a user license.  If content is downloaded to a console, it is licensed to that console, which allows any user on that device (at the time it was licensed) to play the game.  The user license allows that user to use the content regardless of the device, so long as they're connected to Xbox LIVE.  So if the device license and the user license do not match up, the user must be connected to Xbox LIVE. 

If Microsoft was to implement DRM from a retail disc standpoint, it could still generate a DRM license for the device and user all off-line, then confirm that license online. 

He also tweeted to an average joe @theonlyalexw

Adinnieken said:
Dusk said:
The guy was still an employee of MS and should be held accountable for his actions. Most companies do not allow this kind of garbage. Despite if he is in media relations/spokeperson or not people will see him as part of MS. Also...

Nikolai Mohilchock of The Workshop, who has previously worked on games in the Call of Duty franchise and on F.E.A.R. and Sorcery, decided to chime in that while he can’t talk about the rumors directly, “all I can say is be sure to pay your ISP bills.”
taken from gengame

The Workshop Experience, the company that has absolutely no current or future products with the Xbox, but instead has only worked on the PS3 and has future products announced for the PS4.   That company?

Yes, there's a reason why he can't "comment".

http://playeressence.com/always-on-internet-connection-for-xbox-720-basically-confirmed-by-ms-exec/

Not sure who you are talking about but I was talking about Adam Orth as he is the one that stated this stuff on his twitter account. Although there is back and forth between Orth and Manveer and they said they were trolling each other (odd) but none the less, that is where my information was from.

Edit: ohhh, lol. Had to re-read my post. Right, The Workshop Experience. Either way, it was posted, and it was a quote. Althought the games mentioned were multi plat so there must have been some connection with MS.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network

i think DEALWITHIT will become a internet MEME for years to come

kowenicki said:
VGKing said:
kowenicki said:
gooch_destroyer said:
he didn't confirm or deny anything so....

Here we go....

Well he didn't lol....that's not a spin, it's a fact.

It's an inference. it's mischievous. It's gerrymandering. It's not called for. Except in the wonderful wonderful world of the VGC forum. 

Are you disagreeing with me? So where exactly did he confirm or deny this rumor?

Somini said:
kowenicki said:
teigaga said:
"It will take a lot more than this "fiasco" to get me to switch to the PS4."

Ewww, Microsoft has loyal fans? Why?

I guess they must really like Halo and Gears.

Reported.

What a sad attempt! I'm glad the MODs don't share your oversensitivity.

Back on topic, he may not be the official spokesman of Microsoft, but the company hasn't denied what he's said either. Which means one of two things;

Either it's true or they're gonna try and change it, which could result in a later reveal or launch of the Nextbox.

I they deny always-on for next xbox they confirm a next sbox exists.

No comment is really the only way to go, if they want to keep control of the unveiling.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

There is actually nothing wrong with what he said, I hope he doesn't loose his job. I think for a minute he just forgot that his twitter profile says Microsoft creative director lol

I felt a similar way about used games. People were going ape shit, but I feel its really not that big a deal for most people. Like you'll only be able to afford 5 games next year as opposed to 7? Deal with it.

Microsoft does not comment on rumours
So who is this guy?

All bow to me the VGChartz current reigning 3DS prediction champion 

Bet with tbone51: Pokeon X & pokemon Y will not sell more than 8 million in 2013

jarrod said:The Xbox360 or ps3 will not sell more than 75million units

July 2009 daveJ saidTrue the wii has a large lead now but by 2017 the most likely result will be 1. ps3 2. xbox360 3. wii <-- wii's successor launched in 2011 effectively killing sales of the wii

2009 daveJ said: The wii will not break the 50% marketshare barrier it will go below the 40% marketshare barrier though in the future. VGChartz members: Impossible, youre an idiot that knows nothing about sales