By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Major Nelson: Official Statement on what was said yesterday (aka "always-on connection rumors"

JoeTheBro said:

I'm not joking, I'm being unbiased. Most people hate Pachter because he says things we don't want, not because he's out of the loop. Also he is just one of many insiders that haven't said this.

Paul Thurrot has more connections inside Microsoft that are more willing to speak to him than they are to Michael Pachter.  When you're one out of 100,000 people participating in a beta to get invited to Redmond for a product launch, when you're a Windows MVP, when you've worked on as many products as a beta tester as he has, and when you have a site that benefits Micorosft Windows and it's users, you're gonna have inside connects. 

Around the Network

I checked. Skyrim doesn't have guns either.

kowenicki said:
teigaga said:
kowenicki said:
teigaga said:
"It will take a lot more than this "fiasco" to get me to switch to the PS4."

Ewww, Microsoft has loyal fans? Why?

I guess they must really like Halo and Gears.

Reported.

LMAO

I was being honest though. Do people really have personal attchments to microsoft?? I find that weird, I used to when games like Mass effect and Bioshock were exclusive to 360 and games like fable and Banjo was on their way. Since 2009 the 360 has started to loose it soul, its still kinda my preference for 3rd party because of the controller but i don't see much going for microsoft in next gen... 

From my understanding they don't have an awesome blog like sony, or do cool little things like Nintendo directs. Essential Microsoft has no personality. Sorry but not sorry. 

I would for a microsoft fanboy to explain their attachment to the xbox brand. Is it Halo? genuinely interest :)

Yeah great. Thanks. Insightful and intelligent. Now why don't you stop derailing, stop baiting and go away.  

:(

But theres nothing to derail from, this thread is built on a non statement.

"we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

I will leave alright, but have fun discussing the titillating quote above. So much juicy details to delph into *insert sarcasm*  

*slams door on way out*

kowenicki said:
teigaga said:

Reported.

What a sad attempt! I'm glad the MODs don't share your oversensitivity.

Back on topic, he may not be the official spokesman of Microsoft, but the company hasn't denied what he's said either. Which means one of two things;

Either it's true or they're gonna try and change it, which could result in a later reveal or launch of the Nextbox.

The guy was still an employee of MS and should be held accountable for his actions. Most companies do not allow this kind of garbage. Despite if he is in media relations/spokeperson or not people will see him as part of MS. Also...

Nikolai Mohilchock of The Workshop, who has previously worked on games in the Call of Duty franchise and on F.E.A.R. and Sorcery, decided to chime in that while he can’t talk about the rumors directly, “all I can say is be sure to pay your ISP bills.”
taken from gengame

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network
Somini said:
kowenicki said:
teigaga said:

Reported.

Back on topic, he may not be the official spokesman of Microsoft, but the company hasn't denied what he's said either. Which means one of two things;

Either it's true or they're gonna try and change it, which could result in a later reveal or launch of the Nextbox.

It happens on page 1 or 2 of every Microsoft thread, its pathetic and needs stamping out.  You guys sure shout when Sales dumps on Sony threads.

slowmo said:
Somini said:
kowenicki said:
teigaga said:

Reported.

It happens on page 1 or 2 of every Microsoft thread, its pathetic and needs stamping out.  You guys sure shout when Sales dumps on Sony threads.

it's a bit of banter

kowenicki said:

Which is a perfectly reasonable post. (Awaits spin doctors to find some nuance of negativity....)

This is a classic case of, it's obvious that this news can be taken in a negative way, so ill pre announce that if anyone does its pathetic

your almost asking for it!

gooch_destroyer said:
Adinnieken said:

Why?  Nothing has officially come from Microsoft saying that the Xbox 8 will require 100% a online connected console in order for owners to play games.

There are rumors.  There is an attempt by a Microsoft employee to say something funny.  But there is no official statement as to what features the Xbox 8 will have as far as DRM.  In fact.  As someone who watches Microsoft's patents very closely, there isn't even a single patent awarded to Microsoft that would seem to suggest Microsoft is even attempting to do anything differently from the what was implemented with the Xbox 360.  There are Kinect patents that move the bar as far as Kinect functionality, there are even Achievement and Avatar patents that seem to move the bar in terms of what Microsoft currently offers, but not DRM. 

Why would Microsoft even need a persistent DRM technology when it already has DRM that works with the Xbox 360?  There wouldn't even be a logical reason to take that off-line function of the current DRM and make it always connected.  The only need is to ensure that purchased content is licensed to one of the individuals playing the game or it's licensed to the device. 

If the content isn't licensed to the device, then yes it would need a connected console to verify that one of the players is licensed to use the content.  But again, that's how the console works today.

how'd you know it was being the Xbox 8? you mean like windows 8? you Xbox infinity would sound cooler imo.

btw he wasn't funny either. and that licensing thing, you mean in a way to prevent piracy?

It may have appeared he was being glib with a potential customer, but instead he was being sarcastic with a writer with BioWare that I'm sure he has a work relationship with.  The writer even has acknowledged that what was said between two people (i.e. a conversation) was taken out of context and not everything said was actually included in the original article.

DRM = Digital Rights Management.  DRM includes licensing.  Currently, any software purchased through Xbox LIVE includes two licenses.  A device license and a user license.  If content is downloaded to a console, it is licensed to that console, which allows any user on that device (at the time it was licensed) to play the game.  The user license allows that user to use the content regardless of the device, so long as they're connected to Xbox LIVE.  So if the device license and the user license do not match up, the user must be connected to Xbox LIVE. 

If Microsoft was to implement DRM from a retail disc standpoint, it could still generate a DRM license for the device and user all off-line, then confirm that license online. 

@kowen: you really are a sensitive person. Why would you report that?

OT: there's nothing on that post. Nothing to discuss. They don't deny or accept anything.