By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Major Nelson: Official Statement on what was said yesterday (aka "always-on connection rumors"

D-Minaj225 said:
gooch_destroyer said:
Nsanity said:
gooch_destroyer said:
teigaga said:
"It will take a lot more than this "fiasco" to get me to switch to the PS4."

Ewww, Microsoft has loyal fans? Why?

I guess they must really like Halo and Gears.

yeah, you know and others...with guns.

Forza has guns?

forgot about that...what i'm saying is why are those FPS so popular....can't they bring back Blinx or Voodoo Vince

It's a shame Blinx wasn't successful it had an interesting concept, there are no other games that features a time shifting orange cat lol

yeah those where the days where every system had a platformer that featured a fuzzy animal thing.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
teigaga said:

Reported.

LMAO

I was being honest though. Do people really have personal attchments to microsoft?? I find that weird, I used to when games like Mass effect and Bioshock were exclusive to 360 and games like fable and Banjo was on their way. Since 2009 the 360 has started to loose it soul, its still kinda my preference for 3rd party because of the controller but i don't see much going for microsoft in next gen... 

From my understanding they don't have an awesome blog like sony, or do cool little things like Nintendo directs. Essential Microsoft has no personality. Sorry but not sorry. 

I would for a microsoft fanboy to explain their attachment to the xbox brand. Is it Halo? genuinely interest :)

Cyrus_ATX said:
JoeTheBro said:
Cyrus_ATX said:
JoeTheBro said:
Cyrus_ATX said:
Typical corporate statement, nobody should expect them to clear things up on an unannounced product.

Off topic:

Windows Weekly #305
http://twit.tv/show/windows-weekly/305

1:20:30

Interesting!!!

I wouldn't think to much of that. The other people, even Michael Pachter, probably have better sources and they haven't talked about this.

I hope you are joking, Paul Thurrott has more credibility than Michael Pachter.

Paul Thurrot webdite:

http://winsupersite.com/

I'm not joking, I'm being unbiased. Most people hate Pachter because he says things we don't want, not because he's out of the loop. Also he is just one of many insiders that haven't said this.

Wrong again!!!

Here another Microsoft insider like Paul Thurrott.

http://www.abload.de/img/untitleditj15.png

Tom Warren website:

http://www.winrumors.com/author/tom/

I was meaning the 360 relaunch at $99 as a set-top box, not a new XBOX device that functions as a set-top box. It's so confusing that XBOX 360 is simplified to XBOX. This is as confusing as if in 2011 people said Sony is launching a new PlayStation but this isn't the next PlayStation that succeeds this PlayStation, it's just the next handheld PlayStation.

gooch_destroyer said:
ethomaz said:
gooch_destroyer said:
he didn't confirm or deny anything so....

Buy are they need confirm or deny? I don't think so.

I just expected some damage control something.

Why?  Nothing has officially come from Microsoft saying that the Xbox 8 will require 100% a online connected console in order for owners to play games.

There are rumors.  There is an attempt by a Microsoft employee to say something funny.  But there is no official statement as to what features the Xbox 8 will have as far as DRM.  In fact.  As someone who watches Microsoft's patents very closely, there isn't even a single patent awarded to Microsoft that would seem to suggest Microsoft is even attempting to do anything differently from the what was implemented with the Xbox 360.  There are Kinect patents that move the bar as far as Kinect functionality, there are even Achievement and Avatar patents that seem to move the bar in terms of what Microsoft currently offers, but not DRM. 

Why would Microsoft even need a persistent DRM technology when it already has DRM that works with the Xbox 360?  There wouldn't even be a logical reason to take that off-line function of the current DRM and make it always connected.  The only need is to ensure that purchased content is licensed to one of the individuals playing the game or it's licensed to the device. 

If the content isn't licensed to the device, then yes it would need a connected console to verify that one of the players is licensed to use the content.  But again, that's how the console works today.

NobleTeam360 said:
Why would they confirm or deny something in a random press release.

You equate information by employee that is driving away customers with a "random press release"?  Any company that would do a press release like this would fire their customer relations management for putting that out.

Around the Network

Nice of the person that said so for the official statement.
This sort of war behavior will probably stay for a couple of more weeks and then it will be a massacre.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

Adinnieken said:
gooch_destroyer said:
ethomaz said:
gooch_destroyer said:
he didn't confirm or deny anything so....

Buy are they need confirm or deny? I don't think so.

I just expected some damage control something.

Why?  Nothing has officially come from Microsoft saying that the Xbox 8 will require 100% a online connected console in order for owners to play games.

There are rumors.  There is an attempt by a Microsoft employee to say something funny.  But there is no official statement as to what features the Xbox 8 will have as far as DRM.  In fact.  As someone who watches Microsoft's patents very closely, there isn't even a single patent awarded to Microsoft that would seem to suggest Microsoft is even attempting to do anything differently from the what was implemented with the Xbox 360.  There are Kinect patents that move the bar as far as Kinect functionality, there are even Achievement and Avatar patents that seem to move the bar in terms of what Microsoft currently offers, but not DRM. 

Why would Microsoft even need a persistent DRM technology when it already has DRM that works with the Xbox 360?  There wouldn't even be a logical reason to take that off-line function of the current DRM and make it always connected.  The only need is to ensure that purchased content is licensed to one of the individuals playing the game or it's licensed to the device. 

If the content isn't licensed to the device, then yes it would need a connected console to verify that one of the players is licensed to use the content.  But again, that's how the console works today.

how'd you know it was being the Xbox 8? you mean like windows 8? you Xbox infinity would sound cooler imo.

btw he wasn't funny either. and that licensing thing, you mean in a way to prevent piracy?

kowenicki said:
Cyrus_ATX said:
Typical corporate statement, nobody should expect them to clear things up on an unannounced product.

Off topic:

Windows Weekly #305
http://twit.tv/show/windows-weekly/305

1:20:30

Interesting!!!

Very interesting!!! 

Funnily enough, Mary Jo Foley was once a huge supporter of IBM OS/2 Warp.  She hated Microsoft in the 1990's when she wrote for PC Magazine.  I always find it curious that she now follows Microsoft.

Also, Paul Thurrot was a Windows 95 beta tester, as well as several other Microsoft products since.

If it truly wasn't online only, they would have made a comment about how they think 'always online' is anti-consumerist.

kowenicki said:
JoeTheBro said:
kowenicki said:
teigaga said:

Reported.

Is it really necessary to claim your kill?

If only everyone was as honest, we'd all know where we stand. 

Your still going a little over the top
obviously it was a silly comment
understansing that it was you should have just ignored it
really you could have let it go

again though

personally
really
i'd have continued without reporting it
casting that aside now
Kowenicki, its obvious some "negative xbox" news/comments were going to come from this thread, not just VG...but on youtube n4g and a couple of other sites

your right, if only everyone was honest in their comments