By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U Initial Sales Better Than PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360?

Soundwave said:
It's starting to trend behind the PS3 in the US anyway.

The PS3 sold 124k or so its first February (Feb 2007), the Wii U did 66k, so PS3 was almost double the Wii U for the corresponding month, which is pretty sad when you consider the PS3 was $500/$600 at that time with no games either.

Yeah but the PS3 didn't have the record for the longest time span with out a new game being released.

Around the Network
newwil7l said:
Soundwave said:

The PS3 sold 124k or so its first February (Feb 2007), the Wii U did 66k, so PS3 was almost double the Wii U for the corresponding month, which is pretty sad when you consider the PS3 was $500/$600 at that time with no games either.

Yeah but the PS3 didn't have the record for the longest time span with out a new game being released.

But Nintendo messing up shouldn't fault the ps3.

newwil7l said:
Soundwave said:

The PS3 didn't have a Mario game though, and it would've had a Rayman game if the terrible sales of the platform didn't scare away Ubi Soft. 

And despite how much people try to downplay it, I really do think Nintendo intended for Nintendo Land to be the Wii Sports of the Wii U. That wasn't just a throw away title. 

Nintendo did intend for Nintendo Land to do the same job. I think Reggie said so himself.
Problem is, marketing didn`t work and the price isn`t right for that job. If add all up, it`s 350 for console and Nintendo Land, but to also enjoy all of it`s games, you need a Wii remote (and nunchuck ?). Which equals 400.

Compare that to Wii`s 250 (for taking advantage of full game) and almost hysteria to get a single console.

Wii U might have Mario, but when Nintendo fails to market the console and after only 4/5 of another Mario game of the same nature, Mario too loses appeal.

Oh how soon people forget

Around the Network

Once something is doomed, you can't just un-doom it just like that. Judgement? The doom stands.

bananaking21 said:
BHR-3 said:
bananaking21 said:
the launch of the system was really good. numbers were really solid, but then sales dropped like a rock, so yeah if you compare aligned launched the WiiU is in front, but it wont stay like that for long

no there not

they are according to the article you just posted. though they use vgchartz numbers, i dont know about the offical numbers

You're exactly right:

The article is confusing initial/cumulated sales with current sales. And thinks it is an american problem, because they take the current sales from NPD. But current sales from VGC don't tell a different story.

Graph is from my thread about the WiiU-sales: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=152379

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

badgenome said:
bananaking21 said:
the launch of the system was really good. numbers were really solid, but then sales dropped like a rock

Sounds familiar.

Nope. This pretty thing missed the good launch (=first three or four weeks).

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

The way I see it, launch: great; post-launch: terrible.

badgenome said:
bananaking21 said:
the launch of the system was really good. numbers were really solid, but then sales dropped like a rock

Sounds familiar.

Nope.

The Wii U has always been ahead of the PS3 & 360, and still is right now.

The PS Vita has always been behind the 3DS & DS & GBA & PSP, and still is.

The PS Vita can only get good sales the first like 2 weeks when first sold at any certain price , and it still is weaker compare to when Nintendo first release, as well as when Nintendo first cut price.