By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U Initial Sales Better Than PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360?

The Wii U is selling not too shabby if launches are aligned. Wii U not doomed confirmed!

Around the Network

Any side can claim victory if they want to skew numbers.

The WiiU certainly had a good launch in November/December. However, its abysmal January and February sales are likely far more indicative of where its going to be until major 1st party support shows up.

I'd say that its trending towards failure. It can absolutely change course, but Nintendo has to push software and maybe even a price cut to change its fortunes. If it doesn't act quickly and properly, even fewer people will be able to defend it. If it can't match the PS3/X360 sales by the end of the year (launches aligned), then its going to end up with a very poor performance.

If it does less than PS3/360, people will defend it by saying "..But the 360/PS3 sold 70 million units each with these launches! The WiiU is right there!" without taking the context in that the WiiU is going to be pidgeonholed as gravely inferior to next-gen machines (essentially, the Dreamcast of a 2-horse race).

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Flawed comparison considering it is missing many things like not globally launched and more expensive consoles. The main point is no matter how good sales are for the first 2-3 weeks it doesn't matter if every other week after that it is horrible and the competition did better and still does better.. Trying to spin numbers and downplay that to make it sound not so bad doesn't work.

If we try to mask the stench of feces with Febreeze, it'll only work for a little while.

Trying to mask the utter failure (week after week) that is the Wii U with Cumulative Graphs will only work for awhile. Nintendo must get games out for the system, there is no question. There is no way anyone can argue that point. The Wii U needs games, or it will flat line and drop below PS3 and XB360.

newwil7l said:
SonOfLiberty said:
newwil7l said:
SonOfLiberty said:
newwil7l said:
Soundwave said:
It's starting to trend behind the PS3 in the US anyway.

The PS3 sold 124k or so its first February (Feb 2007), the Wii U did 66k, so PS3 was almost double the Wii U for the corresponding month, which is pretty sad when you consider the PS3 was $500/$600 at that time with no games either.

Yeah but the PS3 didn't have the record for the longest time span with out a new game being released.

But Nintendo messing up shouldn't fault the ps3.

I didn't fault the PS3. What the hell are you talking about.

But u just gave Wii U an excuse saying it has a game drought.Just because the ps3 didn't suffer from a severe game drought shouldn't take away from the sales. 

Yes, but you are doing the exact same thing as me. Your making excuses for PS3 by talking about the price.

Lol your right. guess I was being hypocritical 

Around the Network

all this crap about the wiiu not being a success in the long-term and it hurting for 3rd party support as well, better be prepared to eat a ton of crow . when nintendo proves u wrong in due time.......
just like the ps3 sales being bad to ok for awhile as well in the us after it launched , why because of price and lack of games. doesnt this sound familiar to what ppl are saying about the wiiu now. the ps3 turned out to be a success and prove alot of ppl wrong in the end, get the point now ppl . a post launch being bad doesnt spell doom and gloom at all, just like every game system to release ( except the wii being a curve ball to the norm ) can have a turn around and be a success.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

mrstickball said:

The WiiU certainly had a good launch in November/December. However, its abysmal January and February sales are likely far more indicative of where its going to be until major 1st party support shows up.

I'd say that its trending towards failure. It can absolutely change course, but Nintendo has to push software and maybe even a price cut to change its fortunes. If it doesn't act quickly and properly, even fewer people will be able to defend it. If it can't match the PS3/X360 sales by the end of the year (launches aligned), then its going to end up with a very poor performance.

If it does less than PS3/360, people will defend it by saying "..But the 360/PS3 sold 70 million units each with these launches! The WiiU is right there!" without taking the context in that the WiiU is going to be pidgeonholed as gravely inferior to next-gen machines (essentially, the Dreamcast of a 2-horse race).

Well it's getting Pikmin 3 in April or May.

Its also getting Bayonetta 2 in that time.

But it's getting great 3rd Party support with Monster Hunter 3 Definitive version & Lego City Undercover 1 (the 3DS gets the prequel)

So lets see how Lego Grand Theft Auto & Monster Hunter 3 definitive does, follow by Pikmin 3 & Bayonetta 2.

People don't like to have a system that collects dust.

Wii U hardware sales are actually over 3 million, maybe 3.5 million now.

Kaizar said:
mrstickball said:

Well it's getting Pikmin 3 in April or May.

Its also getting Bayonetta 2 in that time.

But it's getting great 3rd Party support with Monster Hunter 3 Definitive version & Lego City Undercover 1 (the 3DS gets the prequel)

So lets see how Lego Grand Theft Auto & Monster Hunter 3 definitive does, follow by Pikmin 3 & Bayonetta 2.

People don't like to have a system that collects dust.

How much hardware do you think each game is going to move? We're looking at a >100,000 unit discrepency each month before the holidays. That's a pretty large amount to make up with 4 pieces of software, with few of them likely to hit 1 million units or more.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I don't think the Vita or the Wii U are dead. I'm sure Sony and Nintendo can fix the Vita and Wii U.