By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U Initial Sales Better Than PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360?

bananaking21 said:
badgenome said:
bananaking21 said:
the launch of the system was really good. numbers were really solid, but then sales dropped like a rock

Sounds familiar.

- picture of the deceased

its disrespectful to speak bad about the dead

Why did this make me laugh so hard when I have a Vita? XD

But yeah. That's the weird thing about this: the sales it had during the holiday season were amazing, and yet as soon as you hit January they careen off a goddamned cliff. It looks like it's going to sell just above the PS3 through March, because the post-Christmas numbers are so shit they're eating into the huge advantage it had over the PS3's holiday numbers. This despite the PS3 being dismissed as an expensive paperweight for several years.

It's so schizophrenic.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

Nope. This pretty thing missed the good launch (=first three or four weeks).

Consider that the Vita launched after the holidays, not before like the Wii U. But the trajectory between the two is pretty similar so far: a reasonable amount of pent up demand that was immediately expended, followed by falling off of a cliff. I don't think the Wii U will languish as badly or for as long as the Vita has, but the bungling of the launches are more similar than different.

WiiU's first february was worse than PS360s.

See my thread in Sig for actual numbers. WiiU does not seem poised to beat ps3 by end of March, when it launched in Europe.

SonOfLiberty said:
newwil7l said:
Soundwave said:
It's starting to trend behind the PS3 in the US anyway.

The PS3 sold 124k or so its first February (Feb 2007), the Wii U did 66k, so PS3 was almost double the Wii U for the corresponding month, which is pretty sad when you consider the PS3 was $500/$600 at that time with no games either.

Yeah but the PS3 didn't have the record for the longest time span with out a new game being released.

But Nintendo messing up shouldn't fault the ps3.

I didn't fault the PS3. What the hell are you talking about.

Around the Network

Soundwave said:
newwil7l said:
Soundwave said:
It's starting to trend behind the PS3 in the US anyway.

The PS3 sold 124k or so its first February (Feb 2007), the Wii U did 66k, so PS3 was almost double the Wii U for the corresponding month, which is pretty sad when you consider the PS3 was $500/$600 at that time with no games either.

Yeah but the PS3 didn't have the record for the longest time span with out a new game being released.

The PS3 didn't have a Mario game though, and it would've had a Rayman game if the terrible sales of the platform didn't scare away Ubi Soft. 

And despite how much people try to downplay it, I really do think Nintendo intended for Nintendo Land to be the Wii Sports of the Wii U. That wasn't just a throw away title. 

You are right for the most part. However I normally would agree that Mario would have helped, but it didn't because we just had a game of the exact same franchise (2D Mario) released 3 months earlier.

Nintendo consoles perform different from Sony and MS ones. Just because it was able to match or exceed the expensive PS3/360 launches, it doesn't mean Wii U will be ok in the long run. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Wii U WILL NOT have the 3rd party support for it to have healthy sales 5+ years from now. Nintendo's first party offerings are what will make or break this consoles. We saw how well that worked out for the Gamecube.

gigantor21 said:
bananaking21 said:
badgenome said:
bananaking21 said:
the launch of the system was really good. numbers were really solid, but then sales dropped like a rock

Sounds familiar.

- picture of the deceased

its disrespectful to speak bad about the dead

Why did this make me laugh so hard when I have a Vita? XD

But yeah. That's the weird thing about this: the sales it had during the holiday season were amazing, and yet as soon as you hit January they careen off a goddamned cliff. It looks like it's going to sell just above the PS3 through March, because the post-Christmas numbers are so shit they're eating into the huge advantage it had over the PS3's holiday numbers. This despite the PS3 being dismissed as an expensive paperweight for several years.

It's so schizophrenic.

haha because its a funny joke

and actually if my memory serves me correctly, the november numbers were really really good, it didnt reach Wii numbers but it was close, then the decembers were quiet bad, i remember it was even lower than PS3's first december. then in january the console went from bad to straight out horrible.

the PS3's numbers were actually healthier, even though they are still less (aligned) the drop from the christmas period to the post-christmas period was less, it also stabilized at a higher number then the WiiU's. and this is just USA, lets not start talking about europe 

badgenome said:
Mnementh said:

Nope. This pretty thing missed the good launch (=first three or four weeks).

Consider that the Vita launched after the holidays, not before like the Wii U. But the trajectory between the two is pretty similar so far: a reasonable amount of pent up demand that was immediately expended, followed by falling off of a cliff. I don't think the Wii U will languish as badly or for as long as the Vita has, but the bungling of the launches are more similar than different.

No, I have to disagree with you here. In the graph I posted you can see the european and american launch for the Vita, and the graph stays far below that one of the WiiU. The current sales of the WiiU are similar to what the Vita managed in it's first year, but the launch was better, even if you include the later launches for Vita.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]