By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U Initial Sales Better Than PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360?

Wii U wins next generation confirmed!

Around the Network
VGKing said:
Nintendo consoles perform different from Sony and MS ones. Just because it was able to match or exceed the expensive PS3/360 launches, it doesn't mean Wii U will be ok in the long run. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Wii U WILL NOT have the 3rd party support for it to have healthy sales 5+ years from now. Nintendo's first party offerings are what will make or break this consoles. We saw how well that worked out for the Gamecube.

I am all here for the Wii U to perform like Gamecube, if it means we will get the same great quality games Gamecube had.

Mnementh said:

No, I have to disagree with you here. In the graph I posted you can see the european and american launch for the Vita, and the graph stays far below that one of the WiiU. The current sales of the WiiU are similar to what the Vita managed in it's first year, but the launch was better, even if you include the later launches for Vita.

Only I didn't claim that the Wii U didn't have a better launch, but rather that they both fizzled out very similarly due to terribly structured (i.e., non-existent) post-launch support.

bananaking21 said:
gigantor21 said:
bananaking21 said:
badgenome said:
bananaking21 said:
the launch of the system was really good. numbers were really solid, but then sales dropped like a rock

Sounds familiar.

- picture of the deceased

its disrespectful to speak bad about the dead

Why did this make me laugh so hard when I have a Vita? XD

But yeah. That's the weird thing about this: the sales it had during the holiday season were amazing, and yet as soon as you hit January they careen off a goddamned cliff. It looks like it's going to sell just above the PS3 through March, because the post-Christmas numbers are so shit they're eating into the huge advantage it had over the PS3's holiday numbers. This despite the PS3 being dismissed as an expensive paperweight for several years.

It's so schizophrenic.

haha because its a funny joke

and actually if my memory serves me correctly, the november numbers were really really good, it didnt reach Wii numbers but it was close, then the decembers were quiet bad, i remember it was even lower than PS3's first december. then in january the console went from bad to straight out horrible.

the PS3's numbers were actually healthier, even though they are still less (aligned) the drop from the christmas period to the post-christmas period was less, it also stabilized at a higher number then the WiiU's. and this is just USA, lets not start talking about europe 

Holy shit, you're right. As far as the NPD numbers go:

PS3 in December '06: 490,700 (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12375)

WiiU in December '12: 460,000

And the Gamasutra article states that the PS3 was "severely supply constrained" to boot, meanining that it could've sold more. Damn.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

badgenome said:
Mnementh said:

No, I have to disagree with you here. In the graph I posted you can see the european and american launch for the Vita, and the graph stays far below that one of the WiiU. The current sales of the WiiU are similar to what the Vita managed in it's first year, but the launch was better, even if you include the later launches for Vita.

Only I didn't claim that the Wii U didn't have a better launch, but rather that they both fizzled out very similarly due to terribly structured (i.e., non-existent) post-launch support.

Well, I agree on that. Seems I got your comment wrong then.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
gigantor21 said:
bananaking21 said:

haha because its a funny joke

and actually if my memory serves me correctly, the november numbers were really really good, it didnt reach Wii numbers but it was close, then the decembers were quiet bad, i remember it was even lower than PS3's first december. then in january the console went from bad to straight out horrible.

the PS3's numbers were actually healthier, even though they are still less (aligned) the drop from the christmas period to the post-christmas period was less, it also stabilized at a higher number then the WiiU's. and this is just USA, lets not start talking about europe 

Holy shit, you're right. As far as the NPD numbers go:

PS3 in December '06: 490,700 (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12375)

WiiU in December '12: 460,000

And the Gamasutra article states that the PS3 was "severely supply constrained" to boot, meanining that it could've sold more. Damn.

i know im right, i alway am and thats whats bad about the WiiU numbers, the launch numbers were really good, but then when the pre-orders were given out and hardcore nintendo fans got there hands on the console, the numbers dropped hard, and even harder after the holidays, yet people dont seem to understand that, i get it aligned the WiiU sold more, but the way this is selling is really really bad. it shows there there is no appeal to the mass market yet. the "core gamers" dont seem interested at all, the "casuals" dont care about the system and even nintendo fans dont seem to excited about the system. it doesnt help that nintendo has no big game releasing for it before E3 either. in its first quarter the biggest game the system is getting is lego. 

newwil7l said:
SonOfLiberty said:
newwil7l said:
Soundwave said:
It's starting to trend behind the PS3 in the US anyway.

The PS3 sold 124k or so its first February (Feb 2007), the Wii U did 66k, so PS3 was almost double the Wii U for the corresponding month, which is pretty sad when you consider the PS3 was $500/$600 at that time with no games either.

Yeah but the PS3 didn't have the record for the longest time span with out a new game being released.

But Nintendo messing up shouldn't fault the ps3.

I didn't fault the PS3. What the hell are you talking about.

But u just gave Wii U an excuse saying it has a game drought.Just because the ps3 didn't suffer from a severe game drought shouldn't take away from the sales. 

the_dengle said:
The way I see it, launch: great; post-launch: terrible

Yup.this is all there is to it 

Soundwave said:
newwil7l said:
Soundwave said:

The PS3 sold 124k or so its first February (Feb 2007), the Wii U did 66k, so PS3 was almost double the Wii U for the corresponding month, which is pretty sad when you consider the PS3 was $500/$600 at that time with no games either.

Yeah but the PS3 didn't have the record for the longest time span with out a new game being released.

The PS3 didn't have a Mario game though, and it would've had a Rayman game if the terrible sales of the platform didn't scare away Ubi Soft. 

True, but the PS3 was also a blu-ray player - many of which at the time were more expensive as stand-alone units, so the PS3 was a substantial value for anyone in the market for one.

Still, there's no sugarcoating the issue regarding current WiiU sales and Nintendo has nobody to blame but themselves. They've pretty much followed the same flawed pattern they did with the 3DS launch; better in that they had two great in-house launch games as opposed to none for 3DS, but worse in that they have no games post-launch to warrant a somewhat high price against the powerhouse PS360.

However, also like the 3DS, I believe that there is still a window of opportunity to turn WiiU into a success. It's just up to them if they take it or not.

SonOfLiberty said:
newwil7l said:
SonOfLiberty said:
newwil7l said:
Soundwave said:

But Nintendo messing up shouldn't fault the ps3.

I didn't fault the PS3. What the hell are you talking about.

But u just gave Wii U an excuse saying it has a game drought.Just because the ps3 didn't suffer from a severe game drought shouldn't take away from the sales. 

Yes, but you are doing the exact same thing as me. Your making excuses for PS3 by talking about the price.