By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Tomb Raider vs Uncharted argument has begun.

happydolphin said:
UnitSmiley said:
I kinda want to try this game out for myself just to see how it compares to Uncharted.

Same here. I didn't realize it was even comparable so that makes it more interesting.

Well I remember Uncharted getting some shit at first for being similar to Tomb Raider...but then everyone fell in love with it lol. Now Tomb Raider is back and is supposedly taking things straight from Uncharted. It's kind of a funny situation, but at least people say it's a good game. If it's better than Uncharted though? Just a matter of opinion I guess. One that I obviously can't form as I havn't played it :p. It will be hard to be better than Uncharted though (for me anyway) one of my favorite series this gen. Fun gameplay and a loveley cast of charismatic characters.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
ethomaz said:

It is funny how the some guys praise the fake open world present in Tomb Raider because the game is a linear corridor like Uncharted lol.

No dude, a single path that just fattens a bit every now and again = openworld!!!

Oh, I know Tomb Raider guides you where you need to go.  It gives the illusion of freedom, though. 

UnitSmiley said:
happydolphin said:
UnitSmiley said:
I kinda want to try this game out for myself just to see how it compares to Uncharted.

Same here. I didn't realize it was even comparable so that makes it more interesting.

Well I remember Uncharted getting some shit at first for being similar to Tomb Raider...but then everyone fell in love with it lol. Now Tomb Raider is back and is supposedly taking things straight from Uncharted. It's kind of a funny situation, but at least people say it's a good game. If it's better than Uncharted though? Just a matter of opinion I guess. One that I obviously can't form as I havn't played it :p. It will be hard to be better than Uncharted though (for me anyway) one of my favorite series this gen. Fun gameplay and a loveley cast of charismatic characters.

I guess you could compare them in terms of presentation-- Uncharted (especially 2 and 3) had some truly epic set pieces.  Tomb Raider definitely seems to have borrowed those.  Yeah, Uncharted was hardly the first game to have those cinematic moments but the "Uncharted style" is pretty evident.  It's just that Tomb Raider has an arguably better director so the set pieces seem more dangerous and, since Lara initially seems to be frail and incapable of dealing with the things going on around her, it pulls you in even more.  The natural environment seems to be more fully realized, too.  Of course, Uncharted 3 is approaching two years old, now.

But, that's where things kind of end.  Tomb Raider has Lara gaining new abilities and upgradeable equipment as the game goes on.  I haven't beaten it yet.  I just got the part where I have a shotgun.  Sounds pretty standard but the moment leading up to that (and right after) was pretty friggin sweet.  Anyhoo, the combat systems, climbing, platforming, puzzles, etc. are like night and day.  They look similar from the outside, looking in, but the two games are really quite different.  I can easily see somebody loving one and absolutely loathing the other.

What I take away from all of this is that Naughty Dog created a new subgenre of Action/Adventure games with the Uncharted series. Tomb Raider follows the gameplay mechanics to a "T", and it won't be the last game to do so. With a slight change in story, this could have in fact been an offshoot of the Uncharted franchise. This style of gameplay will continue to influence the next generation of gaming. And it will either be to its detriment or advantage, depending on your personal opinion.

yea Tomb Raiders more violent, and gives you more ways to kill without using guns.

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:

Honestly the new Tomb Raider is better than every single uncharted game, you feel like you are discovering stuff, and you feel like you aren't being hand holded by stupid linear level design that is just covering and shooting and repeat and repeat.

Whoever says its Uncharted with tits obviously haven't played it.

I go as far as to say the optional tombs in the new uncharted are more fun to do than uncharted whole laughable "Puzzles"  , and they reward you, you feel you actually discovered something, unlike feeling you are watching a movie solve itself, and just shoot everyone. 

Pretty much this. The main difference for me is that while it is also pretty linear at its core, TR does not hold your hand the entire way through the game. Also, combat is infinitely superior to me because you are not simply thrown into corridor after corridor to handle wave after wave of mindless enemy. I like how most encounters are handled in a way where the level design is good enough that there are multiple ways to take the enemies down. It's a level of depth that Uncharted combat never comes close to reaching. There are also the more open world type levels, actual exploration, actual puzzles, and upgradable weapons. As a total package it feels more like a nice blend of old school Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 4, and maybe Zelda than some Uncharted clone.

Tomb Raider is more like Assassin's Creed than Uncharted!

Wright said:
This is my thought:

LOL. Look at the best game in the genre:

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Don't we want games to keep setting higher bars in their genres? Uncharted took Tomb Raider and mashed it up with Indiana Jones. Tomb Raider came back, and I do hope it raised the bar on Uncharted. If there's an Uncharted 4 (hopefully on PS4) then just looking prettier but being largely the same as Uncharted 2/3 won't be enough.

Tomb Raider has hopefully challenged Uncharted for best in genre and hopefully someone will up the ante some more. Maybe ND has decided to leave Uncharted behind, but I feel like they might want to milk the franchise just one more time.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Pretty much everything in Tomb Raider is better except maybe the graphics. The controls are tighter and more responsive, the platforming is better, etc.

Uncharted's problem is that it isn't really that great at anything except graphics and presentation. But if you don't like what's being served, the game itself is pretty average at best.

It's a mediocre shooter, people who play real shooters know this. The platforming is pretty limited compared to a real platformer. And it really isn't a good action-adventure because it is way too linear and too scripted to offer any real excitement. It's like watching a weak Indiana Jones reboot or something ghetto like that.

Many people are tired of the Uncharted circle jerk, it really isn't that great unless you ignored everything but Sony exclusives. Tomb Raider is just a better game, but Uncharted is a somewhat decent movie.

Some people might like that cast of Uncharted but I didn't care for any of them. Too generic and uninspired. Lara Croft is an icon, Drake is just some guy.