By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Tomb Raider vs Uncharted argument has begun.

OdinHades said:

When it comes to shooting, it certainly feels a lot like Uncharted. Close Combat is a lot different though and the option to upgrade weapons as well as skills adds a little more to it. All in all, Tomb Raider offers more possibilities, both in exploring and combat. Besides, there are less shooting scenes than in Uncharted and more riddles, even if most of them are ridiculously easy.

When you completed the game and enter Free Roam Mode, that feels a lot like old Tomb Raider titles. You're just wandering around, no music or anything, looking for treasures and stuff. Enemies are still there, but appear in very few numbers. The only difference of course is, that you ave no clear goal in free roam.

All in all I thing CD found the middle between good old Tomb Raider and modern gameplay (Uncharted). People just demand action filled games nowadays and CD certainly deliver. It's impossible to serve everyone right, so if you don't like it, don't play it. Im a Tomb Raider Fan since 1997 (TR 2) and enjoyed the game quite a lot, but I also liked Underworld which for some reason got a lot of hate. The only complaint I have is the lack of end bosses. That turned me off with Underworld quite a lot and I really missed them in the newest game. As for Uncharted, I really like that series, too. The presentation is amazing and the story is always kinda interesting. But for me, Drake just can't compete with Lara.

I just hope the next Tomb Raider doesn't take 5 years to release. Remember when we got a new Tomb Raider every friggin' November? Granted, especially part 5 lacked quality, but those were good times nonetheless. After that the series really struggled. I know good games take time, but 5 effin years is just too much for Tomb Raider. I want a new one by the end of 2014! :P

I dunno, she just moves so similarly to drake except drake added a little bit of flair and had voice over for moments like when grenades get thrown your way. His responses are pretty funny. Lara is supposed to be more agile, and I remember those little flips shes used to do while shooting. Im guessing they will pop that into the sequel correct? 

Around the Network

Lara Croft vs Nathan Drake live action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEtC4QRhlzY

I always feel so dirty when playing this game. Lara sure does seem to moan a lot :)

PSN ID: clemens-nl                                                                                                                

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Lara Croft vs Nathan Drake live action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEtC4QRhlzY

Ha that was awesome. Top comment was "forget the fight, nathan and lara need to do each other... hard."

I would totally watch that.

Honestly the new Tomb Raider is better than every single uncharted game, you feel like you are discovering stuff, and you feel like you aren't being hand holded by stupid linear level design that is just covering and shooting and repeat and repeat.

Whoever says its Uncharted with tits obviously haven't played it.

I go as far as to say the optional tombs in the new uncharted are more fun to do than uncharted whole laughable "Puzzles"  , and they reward you, you feel you actually discovered something, unlike feeling you are watching a movie solve itself, and just shoot everyone. 

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
OdinHades said:

When it comes to shooting, it certainly feels a lot like Uncharted. Close Combat is a lot different though and the option to upgrade weapons as well as skills adds a little more to it. All in all, Tomb Raider offers more possibilities, both in exploring and combat. Besides, there are less shooting scenes than in Uncharted and more riddles, even if most of them are ridiculously easy.

When you completed the game and enter Free Roam Mode, that feels a lot like old Tomb Raider titles. You're just wandering around, no music or anything, looking for treasures and stuff. Enemies are still there, but appear in very few numbers. The only difference of course is, that you ave no clear goal in free roam.

All in all I thing CD found the middle between good old Tomb Raider and modern gameplay (Uncharted). People just demand action filled games nowadays and CD certainly deliver. It's impossible to serve everyone right, so if you don't like it, don't play it. Im a Tomb Raider Fan since 1997 (TR 2) and enjoyed the game quite a lot, but I also liked Underworld which for some reason got a lot of hate. The only complaint I have is the lack of end bosses. That turned me off with Underworld quite a lot and I really missed them in the newest game. As for Uncharted, I really like that series, too. The presentation is amazing and the story is always kinda interesting. But for me, Drake just can't compete with Lara.

I just hope the next Tomb Raider doesn't take 5 years to release. Remember when we got a new Tomb Raider every friggin' November? Granted, especially part 5 lacked quality, but those were good times nonetheless. After that the series really struggled. I know good games take time, but 5 effin years is just too much for Tomb Raider. I want a new one by the end of 2014! :P

I dunno, she just moves so similarly to drake except drake added a little bit of flair and had voice over for moments like when grenades get thrown your way. His responses are pretty funny. Lara is supposed to be more agile, and I remember those little flips shes used to do while shooting. Im guessing they will pop that into the sequel correct? 

I don't know, it depends. It's a young Lara and they wanted to show how she became the tough bitch (:P) she is in Tomb Raider 1 - 8. I think that went out pretty well acutally. Now, the question is, where in the timeline will the sequel take place? Is it still in prequel-mode or will it take place after Underworld? I personally think, we will see a prequel-trilogy that will end just before the start of Tomb Raider 1. After that, they will move on with the story, with a sequel to Underworld. 

Now about those movements. The young Lara in a new Tomb Raider will certainly learn some new moves, I think backflips and shooting while jumping is a safe bet. But it won't be like in other Tomb Raider titles, CD will want to really show Lara's learning curve. But those moves of Drake you mentiones are really just cosmetic to me. It's really nice in the first moment, but grows old fairly quick. I don't think we will see stuff like that from Lara at all, it just doesn't fit her. Drake is your funny Bro', always giving a comment to everything, always good mood and everything. Lara is just different. In the reboot, she is young and afraid at first, later she grows a little, but with a much darker side than Drake. She is aware of all the killing she is doing and she doesn't like it. Drake doesn't even care. He's like "lulz, I shot dat guy!". In the later storyline, Lara is icecold with little to no emotion at all. She prefers to work alone and just doesn't do funny stuff. 

But all those animations don't effect gameplay at all, so it's not a big deal to me personally. Sorry if I missed the subject a bit. :P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Hmm why am I suddenly remembering that Jim Sterling article, especially the part about Prototype vs InFamous 2? Must be coincidence.

Anyway, from the Uncharted games I have played and beaten(3, Golden Abyss ...and Fight for Fortune....) I think that Tomb Raider is a better game overall.

Uncharted is visually more diversive due to the traveling aspect (which Golden Abyss didn't have...), but it also felt like it could be sold as episodic content and Tomb Raider feels more like one single, connected adventure. They are both very linear and everything falls apart as soon as you touch it in both games. The combat of Tomb Raider is flat out superior, the weapon upgrade system keeps me engaged and the sidestuff is superior in Tomb raider as well. Uncharteds blinking stuff in corners is nothing compared to the bonus tombs and the small aforementioned zelda puzzles. Backtracking in TR also breaks the linearity up a little.

I can't say anything about the multiplayer as I haven't touched neither of the two games. No interest.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

I've been a fan of Tomb Raider since the Sega Saturn original. I love the character and the games. I started to lose interest in the series when the old ones stopped improving and lost hope when Dark Angel sucked on the PS2. But when Tomb Raider Legends came out I fell in love with the series all over again. Anniversary was just as good and Underworld is one of my favorite games of the generation.

The Uncharted games are pretty. As a Tomb Raider fan I thought it was a rip off at first, but there's more to it than that. They are extremely linear and don't have any real exploration. So Uncharted is kind of like Tomb Raider but not at the same time. Uncharted is fun in a movie kind of way. You shoot stuff and then participate in cinematics. Once you've finished it replaying is like re-watching a movie. I was afraid the new Tomb Raider would lose what makes Tomb Raider good and become an Uncharted clone.

Basically it took the best stuff from Uncharted, combined it with the best stuff from Legends and Underworld, and threw in some cool open world exploration. It's great. The linear/cinematic and shooting parts are like Uncharted, the action is like a combination of Underworld and Uncharted, and you still get the feeling of exploring thanks to the tombs and quests.

The new Tomb Raider is not like the originals, but it's not Uncharted with Lara Croft either. It still holds onto a lot of what made Legends-Underworld such great action adventure games. It's a very good balance.

Oh and the story, writing and acting is very good. And I have to mention the graphics and sound. Top notch.

Comparing Tomb Raider to Uncharted if fair, but there are so many differences that liking one doesn't not mean you will like the other. If you like the combat of Uncharted you'll like the combat of Tomb Raider. But if you just want a linear cinematic movie like game you will find a much bigger open game in Tomb Raider.

Chandler said:

Hmm why am I suddenly remembering that Jim Sterling article, especially the part about Prototype vs InFamous 2? Must be coincidence.

Anyway, from the Uncharted games I have played and beaten(3, Golden Abyss ...and Fight for Fortune....) I think that Tomb Raider is a better game overall.

Uncharted is visually more diversive due to the traveling aspect (which Golden Abyss didn't have...), but it also felt like it could be sold as episodic content and Tomb Raider feels more like one single, connected adventure. They are both very linear and everything falls apart as soon as you touch it in both games. The combat of Tomb Raider is flat out superior, the weapon upgrade system keeps me engaged and the sidestuff is superior in Tomb raider as well. Uncharteds blinking stuff in corners is nothing compared to the bonus tombs and the small aforementioned zelda puzzles. Backtracking in TR also breaks the linearity up a little.

I can't say anything about the multiplayer as I haven't touched neither of the two games. No interest.

you need to play 2 and come back and have this conversation again. 2 has taken my number 1 game of all time, knocking Legend of Zelda OT down a notch. 3 is still a very good game but doesn't have the same emotional impact of 2. Play 1 just for fun. It's flawed but sill a very good game, much like Golden abyss.

I planned to trade Ni no Kuni for Tomb raider but I'm still not convinced and might wait for the price to drop before picking up tomb raider.

The graphics of Tomb Raider are indeed absolutely beautiful. It blew me away, as I didn't really expect anything. But those graphics can at some points more than compete with Uncharted 3. Yes, I just said that. But damn, my fat PS3 really has a hard time with the game. It gets so hot, the cooling sounds just like an airplane or one of the first Xbox 360s with the disc drive running at full speed. Really, that thing is besoming ridiculously loud. I think I'll get a Super Slim next week.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.