By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Tomb Raider vs Uncharted argument has begun.

J_Allard said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
PearlJam said:
Pretty much everything in Tomb Raider is better except maybe the graphics. The controls are tighter and more responsive, the platforming is better, etc.

Uncharted's problem is that it isn't really that great at anything except graphics and presentation. But if you don't like what's being served, the game itself is pretty average at best.

It's a mediocre shooter, people who play real shooters know this. The platforming is pretty limited compared to a real platformer. And it really isn't a good action-adventure because it is way too linear and too scripted to offer any real excitement. It's like watching a weak Indiana Jones reboot or something ghetto like that.

Many people are tired of the Uncharted circle jerk, it really isn't that great unless you ignored everything but Sony exclusives. Tomb Raider is just a better game, but Uncharted is a somewhat decent movie.

Some people might like that cast of Uncharted but I didn't care for any of them. Too generic and uninspired. Lara Croft is an icon, Drake is just some guy.

Drake is just some guy? The character has more dimensions than lara has in her whole body. The real lara takes is a rich school girl who would rather stay a broad than at home and take what she wants from people. Drake is a comedic character with a background of being a street urchin, therefore hes a good thief as well as a great historian and treasure hunter for hire. He doesn't stick around when he sacks a tomb, he finds what he wants and leaves. Uncharted uses the narrative which hits you harder than makes it closer to home as to how he finds certain objects. This is why Crystal Dynamics took that and made the Tomb Raider game more linear. Tomb Raider hasn't been relevant in nearly fourteen, maybe fifteen years and comes back just happening to look like Uncharted and you're just immediately going to write off Uncharted? Her relationship with the other friends of hers is nowhere near as interesting as nathan drake either. If nathan drakes friends died I would actually care, Tomb Raider, nope. Its all about Lara and no one should forget that. She doesn't move like Lara, she moves like drake, she shoots like drake. The real lara runs in like an elegant rambo and cleans house, in this game shes just plain old rambo. It doesn't stop the game from being great, I just dont see where shes like the old lara.

You've had 4 games to care about Uncharted's characters. The people in the Tomb Raider reboot, not so much. And since in those 4 Uncharted games there was much more emphasis put on the narrative than the gameplay, I'd hope you'd care more than someone from a Tomb Raider game you are yet to even actually play through.

Their differences are what makes them great. Lara croft would been better with an Assassins Creed type narrative, but I liked what I saw from my roommate playing it, which is basically 2/3 of the game. Far Cry 3 nailed everything Tomb Raider was aiming to do down to the hunting. It meant something to do it.

Around the Network

Drake is my fav character from this gen, lara croft annoys the fuk outta me I can't look at her the same after those horrible movies.

J_Allard said:
UnitSmiley said:
God I wanna play this now just to compare. Looking at this thread it's basically

Sony fans: Uncharted is better.
Non Sony fans: Tomb Raider is better.

HA this is exactly how the online world has reacted. Idk if I would say its been as extreme as one being better than the other, but it's become blatantly clear that Uncharted fanboys want to make it known that Tomb Raider is nothing more than an Uncharted knock off. It's a shame, because they are missing an incredible game that is really nothing much like Uncharted at all.

Actually its always been the other way around. If you've wanted the best supply is comparitive action games the most variations have been on the PS3. When InFamous and Batman Arkham City came out they had InFamous as well, when Dantes Inferno came out it had God of War to contend with and when Tomb Raider came out it had Uncharted to contend it. If you've seen angry joe's show he even admits that he's always hated Tomb Raiders game and this gameplay and story is more of something he can sink his teeth into (mind you he's an Xbox 360 only owner and has never played uncharted). He acts like what hes seeing in Uncharted is brand new. Im sure when you've only plays on that platform such things are new to you, but when you own multiple consoles like I and many other gamers do you tend to know better. When you only own a 360 you in most cases have no base for comparison unless you're waiting for multiplats. Anyway, watch the Angry Joe review which was rather good but at the same time rather naive. 

Angry Joe Show review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3d3LunXDkw

Wright said:
This is my thought:

Does Indiana Jones have a decent game that can compete with Uncharted or Tomb Raider? Emperor's Tomb was pretty good but that has issues too. 

I hoped Tomb Raider to have more platforming than Uncharted. I am dissappointed. I don't care of hunting in the jungle. Tomb Raider was about action and platforming which became less now; and after the first chapter things looked dull.

Not sure what you're going on about there with Batman and Infamous and Dante and God of War. I am strictly talking about Uncharted fans seemingly being hell bent on letting everyone know their opinion that Tomb Raider is just an Uncharted clone and nothing special. As if Uncharted created the genre or something.

Fact of the matter is you can list many different games that Tomb Raider has elements of. Resident Evil 4. Zelda. Far Cry 3. The Batman games of this gen. And yes, Uncharted. Much like Uncharted itself has bits of pieces of many other games as well. I mean.. you're talking in this thread about how the game plays and feels and all you have done is watch someone play bits and pieces. Come on. It's ok for the game to get praise and for people to like it more than Uncharted. Just enjoy an awesome game. Or I guess enjoy watching your friend play an awesome game.

By the way part of me wonders how annoyed your friend must have been as you probably constantly commented over his shoulder how such and such animation or such and such gameplay element or such and such setting is an Uncharted rip off. Poor friend :p

Around the Network
J_Allard said:
UnitSmiley said:
God I wanna play this now just to compare. Looking at this thread it's basically

Sony fans: Uncharted is better.
Non Sony fans: Tomb Raider is better.

HA this is exactly how the online world has reacted. Idk if I would say its been as extreme as one being better than the other, but it's become blatantly clear that Uncharted fanboys want to make it known that Tomb Raider is nothing more than an Uncharted knock off. It's a shame, because they are missing an incredible game that is really nothing much like Uncharted at all.

But the same could be said for anti Sony people who want to disregard Uncharted since they don't have access to it and hate Sony lol.

Just to be clear I'm not saying anyone is doing that! But it falls in line with what some people would do. I have yet to play Tomb Raider so I won't say it's better or worse, but Uncharted really is pretty amazing. Well to some people I guess, I know others don't seem to care for it. That's why I want to play it myself.

Tomb Raider is a nice game Uncharted is a living legend

Don't get me wrong, i'm a huge sony fan, but I think uncharted is awful and Tomb Raider is my 2nd favourite franchise of all time.

But I'm also a girl, love puzzle games, and despise shooters (and yes the shooting in the last few hours of (new) TR annoyed me some), so go figure probably

Just wanted to put it out there that the 'sony fan = uncharted love' link isnt necessarily true. Tomb Raider and Uncharted are very different games, and from my experience dont often share the same fanbases.

For the record, I also adore the new tomb raider game, its not as good as underworld, but its still great!!!!

PLAYSTATION NATION LADY OF JRPGS

Favourite Games of 2013 1.Tomb Raider(PS3) 2.Atelier Ayesha(PS3) 3.Virtues Last Reward (Vita)

Maybe it's better than Drake's Fortune and Uncharted 3 but Among Thieves? fuck no it's a masterpiece.

I'm like the biggest Sony Fan on the planet. Right now, I'm writing this on my Sony Vaio, but I also visit the site quite often with my Sony Xperia Tablet S. On the Go I prefer my Vita though, it's the Wi-Fi Model, but it gets online with a little help from my Sony Xperia S Smartphone, which I can easily control with my Sony Smartwatch. Or to be short: Everything in my appartment is from Sony. If they would be making washing machines, I'd buy one.

That said, Tomb Raider wipes the floor with Uncharted. Just deal with it. The PS3 Version is by far the best console version though. :P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.