By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Tomb Raider vs Uncharted argument has begun.

Oh well. You can't pleas everybody, Lara. :(

Around the Network

Why are we even comparing the two to begin with? Tomb Raider=exploration/platforming/puzzles while Uncharted=story/cinematic moments/emotion.

I find it funny too that some people can't get over the fact that some people like TR better and some people like UC better. Get over it. I've played probably 8 or so hours of Tomb Raider and it is great. If a new TR game and an UC game came out on the same day I would easily buy the new Uncharted first because, in my opinion(keyword people), it is a better game. But, I like them both, so whatever.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
taus90 said:
So far the story is ok at best, as this is a reboot, there is absolute no character development at all. And being a rookie the moral decision taken by Lara is not convincing at all. When she rescue sam besides lara rest of the crew are in laundry washed clothes, which for me killed the illusion that they are really in danger. Poor writing so far @ 49%.

This game would have been more fitting as Chloe's Adventure rather than Lara Croft

Chloe is more convincing as to what Lara Croft would be like in real life and I am sure they were inspired by Megan Fox to make her. She knows shes not super woman but she can still handle a gun. As a main character I dont think she could take laras place and hold peoples interest in a videogame though. She would have that Bayonetta vibe where she can seduce men, and can hold her own in battle. Lara Croft is kind of known to just throw herself in a fight to get what she wants and seems kind of bored of being rich so she jumps into the thick of exploration and danger (which in the 80/90's was very cliche). Chloe would think before she fights  possibly even switch sides in a fight. Much like Lara she cant be trusted but Lara sticks to her guns (literally). 

Ever play any Tomb Raider games? Lara has always been more of a scholar/artistocrat than she has been a "tomb raider". The franchise has always given you nice little details about almost everything you find in games as far as relics and treasure goes, proving there's a lot more to her than simply treasure hunting or "boredom". And even in this new reboot, if you've really watched 2/3 of your friend playing or whatever, has he actually raided any tombs? Her reactions to the tombs and the set pieces are bigger than her reaction to the treasure chests she opens.

Both of them clearly treasure hunt for both historical and personal satisfaction. They both care a lot about the myths and legacies and both are greedy and want the treasures. And in both franchises, when they either get or fail to get that first treasure, a sinister supernatural/superpower plot is revealed and they have to span the globe to basically save the day.

I'm a huge fan of both (played Uncharted 1-3 and all Tomb Raider games) and I'm very impressed with the new Tomb Raider.

Whilst they've both taken influence from each other they're also aiming for different things. Uncharted goes for an epic experience with tongue in cheek characters and focussed gunplay. The new Tomb Raider on the other hand aims for a darker story with greater emphasis on Lara as a character in both personality and gameplay development. It also has far more exploration than Uncharted.

Uncharted could focus on directing the player down a linear path creating epic set pieces, directed banter and small set "arenas" for gunplay. Whilst Tomb Raider directs you down a path for story heavy moments, it also gives you much larger open areas to explore with multiple paths of discovery and platforming rather than a single narrow path. In some ways these areas are a bit like the design philosophy of Crysis but with added puzzles and platforming.

My only real complaint about Tomb Raider is that the puzzles just aren't as large in scale or as challenging as in the past. The optional tombs are a nice touch but could have been much larger in scale.

KylieDog said:
nnodley said:
Why are we even comparing the two to begin with? Tomb Raider=exploration/platforming/puzzles while Uncharted=story/cinematic moments/emotion. 

Because TR ditched real exploration, real platforming and real puzzles.  Is an Uncharted clone now.

Yes, it took a lot from uncharted, but there is quite a bit of exploration and platforming.  At least to me there is.  To me I see two similar games but also two very distinct games.  But, to each his own.