By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Tomb Raider vs Uncharted argument has begun.

KylieDog said:
d21lewis said:
KylieDog said:

Sorry didn't think that a spoiler.  I actually like new TR a lot, it clones Uncharted so much I think it impossible to like one and not the other.  I just think TR has abandoned its own identity and lost the good things about the older TR games and that Uncharted has the better writing, direction and overall experience.  Especially the writing though.

I've criticised UC3 story quite a bit also, it has problems.  Just still much better than TR. 

One thing you can spoil for me:  does the classic outfit unlock after you beat the game?  Would be a shame if it didn't.

There are no unlockables for TR.  Costumes are all DLC and there is no classic one.

Well, that sucks.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
J_Allard said:
Not sure what you're going on about there with Batman and Infamous and Dante and God of War. I am strictly talking about Uncharted fans seemingly being hell bent on letting everyone know their opinion that Tomb Raider is just an Uncharted clone and nothing special. As if Uncharted created the genre or something.

Fact of the matter is you can list many different games that Tomb Raider has elements of. Resident Evil 4. Zelda. Far Cry 3. The Batman games of this gen. And yes, Uncharted. Much like Uncharted itself has bits of pieces of many other games as well. I mean.. you're talking in this thread about how the game plays and feels and all you have done is watch someone play bits and pieces. Come on. It's ok for the game to get praise and for people to like it more than Uncharted. Just enjoy an awesome game. Or I guess enjoy watching your friend play an awesome game.

By the way part of me wonders how annoyed your friend must have been as you probably constantly commented over his shoulder how such and such animation or such and such gameplay element or such and such setting is an Uncharted rip off. Poor friend :p

I think you know exactly where I am going with this. When games are similar they are compared to other games. There are people with PS3 who might not like Uncharted but a lot of people do, but compared to the 360 when it comes to action/adventure games with different themes the PS3 just has more titles and competitive IP's at that. When Prototype came out people with only 360's were acting like it was the only Superhero game in town but InFamous also came and so did batman and both of those games were far more balanced. A base for comparison always makes the gamer more educated as to what works in a style of game. When I alluded to the Angry Gamer Show I was talking about his amazement with Tomb Raider. Many people who responded to him said," if you think what Tomb Raider did was new you need to seriously play Uncharted". Its basically Uncharted with a more open world, but can't be classified as an open world TPS. 

My Roommate and I had a convo about it, but we both know Drake and Lara are two different characters with different mentalities and aspirations. We discussed the similarities even though and he loved the game though. The only Uncharted he's played though was three because he doesn't own a PS3 or 360, so if he wants to see those games he just either plays or watches me on my consoles. 

I know exactly where you're taking it, into some pro-PS3 tangent. Just not sure what the relevance is. What do Infamous or Batman or Dante have to do with Uncharted fanboys and their reactions to the praise being heaped upon Tomb Raider? I mean you made this thread without having even played the game. You can think both games are great in their own ways, just so you know.Maybe you want to quote the guy I was replying to. He is the one who talked about Sony fans vs non-Sony fans. I am talking about the reaction of Uncharted fans. You can be a PS3 owner and have played all those off-topic games you're referencing and still not be an Uncharted fan and still enjoy Tomb Raider.

d21lewis said:
Lara got stabbed by a nail or whatever on the ground when she fell and was still able to climb. Nathan Drake got shot in the stomach and climbed a train hanging from a mountain.

You say tomato.....

Yeah, and you can feel and hear him wincing in pain and its affects its agility as he tries to survive. Nathan almost dies in the snow storm mind you of bloodloss and doesnt know hes right outside a city, but a tibetan saves him and nurses him back to health. That is the continuity of his near death experience which he has in almost every game. Escaping from the train, its called an adrenaline rush. Ive read stories of people being shot and not knowing it happend because of an adrenaline rush while in fight or flight until later they felt pain and a burning sensation where the bullet was lodged. Lara had a long bar that went through her the side of her abdomin right near her kidneys. I doubt any bandage would heal that up really quickly unless theres a med there who knows how to fix the problem. Realistically speaking, she would've been limping and in pain the whole game from that one injury. 

Nathan Drake is a survivor

Lara Croft suffers from a similar issue to Jason Brody from Far Cry 3 where they both turn from innocents into murderers but his reasons for snapping are far more clear. That guy was sent on his path to become a warrior after he was a survivor and had to watch his own brother die from pirates (but works with natives) on the island and goes through tremendous stress and at some point in the middle of the game he snaps. The only thing keeping him sane is the fear for the safety of his friends, but it becomes clear that the spoiled rich kid everyone knew was never the same again. When he gets shot in the arm or hand, he takes knife and fishes the bullet out of him, when he dislocates a bone he pops it back into place and when he has a cut or a bite he wraps it up. Every other injury is sustained with a med kit or a injection of adrenaline and that coupled with all the drugs that will turn anyone into a borderline paranoid psychopath. 

d21lewis said:
KylieDog said:
d21lewis said:
Lara got stabbed by a nail or whatever on the ground when she fell and was still able to climb. Nathan Drake got shot in the stomach and climbed a train hanging from a mountain.

You say tomato.....

This is where Uncharted has better writing/direction.  Drake stumbles a lot after he is shot and soon collapses in the snow and would have died if not found and given treatment.  Lara quickly ignores her injury and several times passes up chances to treat her very serious wound, then randomly near end game suddenly it is a huge major problem.

TR doesn't have good writing, that is one example of it.  If Drake run about all game with a bullet hole in his side it would be comparable.

NOOOO!  I HAVEN'T BEATEN THE GAME!  I can't play it unless my kid is around.

*edit* and I get it.  You don't like Tomb Raider.  You like Uncharted.  You're incredibly negative about Tomb Raider.  I can't change your mind.  I accept it.

Who said he doesnt like the game? Many people who liked the game had some gripe with her continuity or suspension of disbelief when it came to her injuries, her friends, or even her. He wouldnt be the first. The wound she got is far worse than drakes wound. As I said shes lucky that didnt pierce her kidney because he kidneys are in that area where the bar pierced.

ethomaz said:
There are some weird opinions here...

If you like Uncharted there is no way you don't like Tomb Raider too... and vice versa.

I like more Uncharted but Tomb Raider is a solid 8.5/10 game for me... and that is a lot because I just have boring and bad games below 7.

Tomb Raider is about an 8.5 game from what i've witness in my 2/3 of watching the game. I cant wait to play it and I dont know why anyone would score it so low. It has its flaws and they are a great topic of discussion (including the multiplayer) but that shouldnt mean the game should be scored low because of it. The game got an 87 on metacritic last time I checked and that seems about right.

Around the Network

Haven't played the game yet, I have rented it. But I get the feeling I can expect more of the same shallow gameplay-tossed in XP (CAUSE PEOPLE JUST LOVE WATCHING XP BARS FILL UP)-useless skills-and other silly carrot on the stick bullshit people have been going nuts about all wrapped up in a pretty world. (LARA PRETTY. WATERFALL PRETTY. GOTY)

Hoping i'm wrong and its a genuine surprise.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
d21lewis said:

You say tomato.....

Yeah, and you can feel and hear him wincing in pain and its affects its agility as he tries to survive. Nathan almost dies in the snow storm mind you of bloodloss and doesnt know hes right outside a city, but a tibetan saves him and nurses him back to health. That is the continuity of his near death experience which he has in almost every game. Escaping from the train, its called an adrenaline rush. Ive read stories of people being shot and not knowing it happend because of an adrenaline rush while in fight or flight until later they felt pain and a burning sensation where the bullet was lodged. Lara had a long bar that went through her the side of her abdomin right near her kidneys. I doubt any bandage would heal that up really quickly unless theres a med there who knows how to fix the problem. Realistically speaking, she would've been limping and in pain the whole game from that one injury. 

Nathan Drake is a survivor

Lara Croft stuffers from a similar issue to Jason Brody from Far Cry 3 where they both turn from innocents into murders but his reasons for snapping are far more clear. That guy was sent on his path to become a warrior after he was a survivor and had to watch his own brother die from pirates (but works with natives) on the island and goes through tremendous stress and at some point in the middle of the game he snaps. The only thing keeping him sane is the fear for the safety of his friends, but it becomes clear that the spoiled rich kid everyone knew was never the same again. When he get shot in the arm or hand, he takes knife and fishes the bullet out of him, when he dislocates a bone he pops it back into place and when he has a cut or a bite he wraps it up. Every other injury is sustained with a med kit or a injection of adrenaline and that coupled with all the drugs that will turn anyone into a borderline paranoid psychopath. 

Lara is what we call a super human, she requires a lot of beating to finally get really fucked up! XD

ps: please excuse the hair, I turned crossfire back on lol, so tressfx is bugged again until they fix it errrr...

So far the story is ok at best, as this is a reboot, there is absolute no character development at all. And being a rookie the moral decision taken by Lara is not convincing at all. When she rescue sam besides lara rest of the crew are in laundry washed clothes, which for me killed the illusion that they are really in danger. Poor writing so far @ 49%.

This game would have been more fitting as Chloe's Adventure rather than Lara Croft

taus90 said:
So far the story is ok at best, as this is a reboot, there is absolute no character development at all. And being a rookie the moral decision taken by Lara is not convincing at all. When she rescue sam besides lara rest of the crew are in laundry washed clothes, which for me killed the illusion that they are really in danger. Poor writing so far @ 49%.

This game would have been more fitting as Chloe's Adventure rather than Lara Croft

Naw bro, they were caught pretty easily, Roth and Grim had more action and they both look fucked up, Lara looked the most fucked up. Just tells you that they are pussies that didn't do a whole lot while Lara was busy being Wonder Woman and shit.

taus90 said:

Chloe is more convincing as to what Lara Croft would be like in real life and I am sure they were inspired by Megan Fox to make her. She knows shes not super woman but she can still handle a gun. As a main character I dont think she could take laras place and hold peoples interest in a videogame though. She would have that Bayonetta vibe where she can seduce men, and can hold her own in battle. Lara Croft is kind of known to just throw herself in a fight to get what she wants and seems kind of bored of being rich so she jumps into the thick of exploration and danger (which in the 80/90's was very cliche). Chloe would think before she fights  possibly even switch sides in a fight. Much like Lara she cant be trusted but Lara sticks to her guns (literally).