By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The bans in Jaywood's thread are laudable

Chandler said:

I don't see how it is trolling when someone posts what he thinks is a good deal and people state their opinion that they think it is not a good deal for them. It's the same when someone posts a "deal" for Vita memory cards, 95% of the responses will be "still too much, I can get 32gb for 20 bucks for my 3DS" and I think it's totally legit.

But I have already learned to stay away from MS threads as mods are just way more sensible when it comes to MS than everywhere else, and thats a fact. When I posted my negative opinion about Dishonored I was answered with "you have bad taste", "you suck" and "you are not a real gamer" instead of reasonable points why I'm wrong and the amount of shits given from mods amounted to zero. I haven't reported anyone though, maybe thats essential.

If it's offensive, the mods should go out of their way to ban them without you having to report it. It's the internet equivalent of the police watching a criminal stab someone to death right in front of them and then letting them run away.

Around the Network
Icy-Zone said:
Btw I didn't get banned, but instead I received a warning. Either way I don't think I deserved it. Why? Because we were discussing the sale of a year's subscription of live for $34.99, and saying it's "Still too pricey for what's offered. Zero dollars and zero cents would be nice, or dedicated servers for all popular games" shouldn't of warranted any moderation. It was an opinion of the new price. Simple as that. If it were free I would have reconnected my 360 for some online action and commented in the thread "positively."

Nope, the thread wasn't about opinion of the price of XBL, it was about an concrete discount that might be good for people interested in the service. I think your post would have been OK in a thread that was: "What do you think about the price of XBL" or "I think XBL is offering great value for the price". But it wasn't an thread asking for opinions, but a thread offering a service to users that like XBL. You came in (not alone) and started to destroy the thread by upsetting the people the thread was made for in the first place.

Think of it, if it was a thread about a discount to PSV-memory-cards and someone comes in complaining that they are even now more pricey than SD-cards.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

theprof00 said:

You say I'm escalating? What do you think brought me here in the first place? I don't report. Maybe once a month. Or a very clear violation. Now we're seeing bans left and right for minor infractions. I want something done, and this is the only thing that makes sense to me. You have a better solution? Be my guest and offer it.

Minor infractions? Do we talk about the JayWood-thread? I saw people destroying a thread that wanted to notice interested VGC-users about a great deal for XBL. I think the ban-hammer would have been swung the same in a thread about a discount on PSV-memory-cards for users complaining that even now it is more expensive than SD-cards or a thread about an offer of WiiU-bundled with 3 games for great price that users answers that WiiU has inferior graphics. Such posts are offtopic AND offending to the audience of the threads. But the same posts could be fine in a thread asking for opinions about XBL/PSV/WiiU or starting with a personal opinion about these things.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

PlaystaionGamer said:

nope just saying you could be doing more poductive things lol like gaming even?

So could you - and I too. But we all three decided to post on VGC instead. What's your point?

good god, don't get me started

there goes my clean record :'(

Around the Network

I did feel that mods came down far heavier than normal. In a lot of other threads, people quite often go off-topic with hate, most common example are sales or metacritic score being bought up in a negative way when they aren't even relevant to the thread. But then again, JayWood probably had his cursor hovering over the report button for a good hour or so, and since mods mostly rely on people to report trouble makers, it's understandable.

Fantastic move by mods and I hope this continues.

No point in derailing a thread genuinely attempting to sell out a service.

Infact I did learn a lot how to post on threads after being banned on several occassions.

I'm not particularly sure what's going on with people on this site currently, but there does need to be more vigorous action taken. I don't know if it's because of a lack of truly active mods, or because of the things going on which are, but it certainly feels like things have escalated, and poor Jay, who merely tried to save people money, seems to be bearing the brunt of it.

Why can't we all just get along?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

pezus said:
NeilStrauss said:

I am afraid of writing on jaywood threads.

However, I have reported trolling against Sony dozens of times, and nothing ever hapenned to the trolls, are the mods Sony-blind?

Nah, it works often for me. Not as often as I'd like, but still

You're a reporter? Now i hate you even more ;o