By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - games that are loved that you think are bad?

Would have to be Uncharted series. I really liked the original Tomb Raiders, but UC never really grabbed me for whatever reason.

Same applies for Lylat Wars.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

This list would honestly be too long if I were to include EVERY game/franchise that I feel that way about.

To preface anything I say hereafter on the subject, I was born in 1981, my first console was an Atari, I "grew up" with my NES, and got a Game Boy and SNES each a few years after they had launched (lack of $$$$). So that is the era I grew up in, when arcades were amazing and unique and actually mattered, and when 2D, sprite based gaming was king. I am not only "nostalgic" for that era and those types of games....I also just happen to very strongly feel that the video games industry and games on the whole were a lot BETTER back then. I think the industry has grown, but with that, has also come the price of becoming more "mainstream", and we're seeing and experiencing it. And I honestly haven't been a fan of the change since all the way back in the PS1 days, when a lot of top games were judged by how much FMV and voice acting they had, and not always whether or not the game itself was actually GOOD or fun to play. That, in my eyes, has only gotten worse and worse and worse with each passing generation.

Part of the reason that I like and have stuck with Nintendo as a console maker all these years (despite also owning a TG16, Genesis, PS2 and PS3, among others), is because especially at this point, they're the last big publisher that still bothers to turn out "old school" style games. They still make VIDEO GAMES, whereas to me it seems like most developers, especially western developers, are obsessed with trying to prove "video games are art", and as such trying their very best to turn gaming into interactive movies, instead of just GAMES. Thus the birth of bullshit like QuickTime Events gameplay, and a heavy focus, again, on cinematic cutscenes, voice acting (nowadays with actual noted Hollywood actors, including the expense that costs). Game budgets are getting more and more bloated, and you're seeing studios that lasted for in some cases decades, that used to turn out amazing products, disappear after one or two flops. Just look at Apogee/3D Realms, Midway, Factor 5, Free Radical, Acclaim, THQ, etc. Companies like Sunsoft, Hudson Soft, Taito, SNK, Tecmo, Jaleco, Kemco, Enix, Tradewest, Data Easth, etc, are all either dead, bought and absorbed into other companies, or otherwise now fairly irrelevant. Once-great developers like Capcom, Konami, Namco, Squaresoft, Activision, and even Ubisoft to some extent are all shells of their former selves, and have turned into lumbering, soulless corporate giants, that at least in this man's opinion, rarely ever put out TRULY quality games anymore. A developer like RARE got bought out by Microsoft, emasculated, castrated, and are now making shitty Kinect games instead of masterpieces. Even the other two of the ORIGINAL "Big Three", Atari and Sega have had their problems and in their own ways are each struggling to stay afloat and stay relevant. And that sucks.

So, with all of that said, you can start to imagine where I'm coming from and how I feel about modern gaming. Don't get me wrong, there have been many modern games that I thought were great, NOT made by Nintendo even. I happen to think that younger developers like Vanillaware and Clover/Platinum and Team Ico, for example, have made some great stuff. I'm not a fan of Bayonetta or Godhand or Madworld, but Okami easily is one of the best games I've played in the last several years, and The Wonderful 101 looks like it could potentially be fantastic. I also enjoyed what I've played (haven't beaten yet still) of Batman Arkham Asylum. For what they were worth, I enjoyed the Ghostbusters game and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. de Blob was entertaining, as was something like 3D Dot Game Heroes. I even have found enjoyment to be had in Skyrim (the first Elder Scrolls game I've ever bothered playing), IN SPITE of how retardedly glitchy the fuckin game is. There are many others I can't pull off the top of my head.

BUT, it needs to be said that in answer to the actual thread question.....yeah, there are a LOT of high selling, seemingly beloved games/franchises that I quite simply couldn't give a fuck less about, and while I do acknowledge the quality and finer points of SOME of them, many of them I do in fact consider to be terribly overrated, and just straight out "bad" games. What, you may ask? Well.........here goes:

Halo. Call of Duty. Battlefield. Assassin's Creed. Crysis. Infamous. Prototype. Uncharted. Metal Gear Solid. Gears of War. God of War. Grand Theft Auto. Killzone. Mass Effect. Bioshock. Deus Ex. Half-Life. Saints Row. Resident Evil (the first couple were good, after the DC game, nope). Final Fantasy (haven't been into the series since FFVI). Tomb Raider (was never into it). Splinter Cell. Borderlands. Far Cry. Silent Hill. Ninja Gaiden (like the original trilogy, not the new one). Devil May Cry. Dead or Alive (never into it, poor man's Virtua Fighter). WoW (liked the first three WC games, but it's gone to shit). Etc. etc. etc.

So yup.

DevilRising said:

This list would honestly be too long if I were to include EVERY game/franchise that I feel that way about.

To preface anything I say hereafter on the subject, I was born in 1981, my first console was an Atari, I "grew up" with my NES, and got a Game Boy and SNES each a few years after they had launched (lack of $$$$). So that is the era I grew up in, when arcades were amazing and unique and actually mattered, and when 2D, sprite based gaming was king. I am not only "nostalgic" for that era and those types of games....I also just happen to very strongly feel that the video games industry and games on the whole were a lot BETTER back then. I think the industry has grown, but with that, has also come the price of becoming more "mainstream", and we're seeing and experiencing it. And I honestly haven't been a fan of the change since all the way back in the PS1 days, when a lot of top games were judged by how much FMV and voice acting they had, and not always whether or not the game itself was actually GOOD or fun to play. That, in my eyes, has only gotten worse and worse and worse with each passing generation.

Part of the reason that I like and have stuck with Nintendo as a console maker all these years (despite also owning a TG16, Genesis, PS2 and PS3, among others), is because especially at this point, they're the last big publisher that still bothers to turn out "old school" style games. They still make VIDEO GAMES, whereas to me it seems like most developers, especially western developers, are obsessed with trying to prove "video games are art", and as such trying their very best to turn gaming into interactive movies, instead of just GAMES. Thus the birth of bullshit like QuickTime Events gameplay, and a heavy focus, again, on cinematic cutscenes, voice acting (nowadays with actual noted Hollywood actors, including the expense that costs). Game budgets are getting more and more bloated, and you're seeing studios that lasted for in some cases decades, that used to turn out amazing products, disappear after one or two flops. Just look at Apogee/3D Realms, Midway, Factor 5, Free Radical, Acclaim, THQ, etc. Companies like Sunsoft, Hudson Soft, Taito, SNK, Tecmo, Jaleco, Kemco, Enix, Tradewest, Data Easth, etc, are all either dead, bought and absorbed into other companies, or otherwise now fairly irrelevant. Once-great developers like Capcom, Konami, Namco, Squaresoft, Activision, and even Ubisoft to some extent are all shells of their former selves, and have turned into lumbering, soulless corporate giants, that at least in this man's opinion, rarely ever put out TRULY quality games anymore. A developer like RARE got bought out by Microsoft, emasculated, castrated, and are now making shitty Kinect games instead of masterpieces. Even the other two of the ORIGINAL "Big Three", Atari and Sega have had their problems and in their own ways are each struggling to stay afloat and stay relevant. And that sucks.

So, with all of that said, you can start to imagine where I'm coming from and how I feel about modern gaming. Don't get me wrong, there have been many modern games that I thought were great, NOT made by Nintendo even. I happen to think that younger developers like Vanillaware and Clover/Platinum and Team Ico, for example, have made some great stuff. I'm not a fan of Bayonetta or Godhand or Madworld, but Okami easily is one of the best games I've played in the last several years, and The Wonderful 101 looks like it could potentially be fantastic. I also enjoyed what I've played (haven't beaten yet still) of Batman Arkham Asylum. For what they were worth, I enjoyed the Ghostbusters game and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. de Blob was entertaining, as was something like 3D Dot Game Heroes. I even have found enjoyment to be had in Skyrim (the first Elder Scrolls game I've ever bothered playing), IN SPITE of how retardedly glitchy the fuckin game is. There are many others I can't pull off the top of my head.

BUT, it needs to be said that in answer to the actual thread question.....yeah, there are a LOT of high selling, seemingly beloved games/franchises that I quite simply couldn't give a fuck less about, and while I do acknowledge the quality and finer points of SOME of them, many of them I do in fact consider to be terribly overrated, and just straight out "bad" games. What, you may ask? Well.........here goes:

Halo. Call of Duty. Battlefield. Assassin's Creed. Crysis. Infamous. Prototype. Uncharted. Metal Gear Solid. Gears of War. God of War. Grand Theft Auto. Killzone. Mass Effect. Bioshock. Deus Ex. Half-Life. Saints Row. Resident Evil (the first couple were good, after the DC game, nope). Final Fantasy (haven't been into the series since FFVI). Tomb Raider (was never into it). Splinter Cell. Borderlands. Far Cry. Silent Hill. Ninja Gaiden (like the original trilogy, not the new one). Devil May Cry. Dead or Alive (never into it, poor man's Virtua Fighter). WoW (liked the first three WC games, but it's gone to shit). Etc. etc. etc.

So yup.

So basically you dislike every single big non-Nintendo game apart from sports games

Lets start with the most recent games

Gears of War 2: Loved the original but the second one SUCKED. Still havnt bothered to play the 3rd one.

Halo Reach: Destroyed what made the previous Halo games awesome namely the Multiplayer and made it Call of Duty with shields.

Halo 4: Same as Reach

Call of Duty: MW2 - Current. Same stuff just rehashed into a new game. Call of Duty 4 was the last good Call of Duty game.

Spore: Looked awesome... Before I played it

Anyways I could go on but this list is comprised of the games that pissed me off the most for their lack of being good. IMHO of course

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Pristine20 said:
-Any Mario game and pretty much any platformer (Jumping up and down over and over again is just nauseating)
-Any Zelda game (They just don't look like fun at all....don't get the obsession with OOT)
-Any Metroid game (just seems like a very lame attempt at FPS)
-GoldenEye on N64 (was boring back then when I tried it....maybe I'll feel differently today)
-Any Halo (never could get into the series on my original xbox and not even on 360)
-Smash Bros (just looks like a mess...)
-Mario Kart (played it, it wasn't "fun")
-Any GTA (always get bored of them after killing people around town a few times)
-All COD games after COD4 (too much emphasis on killstreaks and camping is just bad game design....try camping in kz2, see how well that works out)
-God of War series (seemed like I was just button mashing FTW; couldn't stand the QTEs either)
-Gears of War series (Just looking at the over-machismo makes me want to puke)

That's all that comes to mind right now.

Apparently you hate everything that is good

Around the Network
newwil7l said:
Pristine20 said:
-Any Mario game and pretty much any platformer (Jumping up and down over and over again is just nauseating)
-Any Zelda game (They just don't look like fun at all....don't get the obsession with OOT)
-Any Metroid game (just seems like a very lame attempt at FPS)
-GoldenEye on N64 (was boring back then when I tried it....maybe I'll feel differently today)
-Any Halo (never could get into the series on my original xbox and not even on 360)
-Smash Bros (just looks like a mess...)
-Mario Kart (played it, it wasn't "fun")
-Any GTA (always get bored of them after killing people around town a few times)
-All COD games after COD4 (too much emphasis on killstreaks and camping is just bad game design....try camping in kz2, see how well that works out)
-God of War series (seemed like I was just button mashing FTW; couldn't stand the QTEs either)
-Gears of War series (Just looking at the over-machismo makes me want to puke)

That's all that comes to mind right now.

Apparently you hate everything that is good

I'm a special person...what can I say. "Good" is subjective.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

heavy rain most games i dont like but could understand the appeal...this game tho had me like wtf it was one big qte and the story made zero sense with horrible voice acting .....must say tho the game provided me with plenty laughs

Final Fantasy in general isn't bad, but it doesn't deserve the love it gets. Most of the games I played in the series were decent at least, but I fail to see how the series is considered to be one of the best in gaming. It's stories are either minimal or adolescent, its gameplay overshadowed by other Square Enix games like Chrono TriggerKingdom hearts, and The World Ends With You, and their quality somewhat inconsistent. Their presentation is very good, but far from flawless. The CGI scenes in 7 and 10 were jarring, the music in recent games has been meh, and earlier games looked dull at points, even compared to other NES and SNES games.

Goldeneye may have been great at launch, but it was overshadowed within a few years. I don't see why it's so fondly remembered.

Kingdom Hearts 2. God that game irritates me. I was once tempted to make a Top 100 list of why I despise that game, but for the sake of brevity, I'll simply suggest you don't play it.

A lot of Art Games. I understand having a message, but story and meaning is just one part of the game. When you sacrifice design, gameplay, and presentation, you're doing it wrong.

An honorary mention goes to Twilight Princess. I never played through the game entirely, so maybe it got better, but the beginning was slower than a Snorlax.

Love and tolerate.

COD, Fifa and Metal Gear Solid (mostly because I suck at MGS ^^)

uncharted series, I wouldn't exactly say bad but I don't think highly of it

Pokemon after 3rd gen

batman AA/AC

oblivion

Super Mario 64 is probably the biggest one