By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - games that are loved that you think are bad?

GTA4 because it is boring and the main character is awful
Uncharted-series because it is overrated crap with awful gameplay

Around the Network
Pristine20 said:
newwil7l said:
Pristine20 said:
-Any Mario game and pretty much any platformer (Jumping up and down over and over again is just nauseating)
-Any Zelda game (They just don't look like fun at all....don't get the obsession with OOT)
-Any Metroid game (just seems like a very lame attempt at FPS)
-GoldenEye on N64 (was boring back then when I tried it....maybe I'll feel differently today)
-Any Halo (never could get into the series on my original xbox and not even on 360)
-Smash Bros (just looks like a mess...)
-Mario Kart (played it, it wasn't "fun")
-Any GTA (always get bored of them after killing people around town a few times)
-All COD games after COD4 (too much emphasis on killstreaks and camping is just bad game design....try camping in kz2, see how well that works out)
-God of War series (seemed like I was just button mashing FTW; couldn't stand the QTEs either)
-Gears of War series (Just looking at the over-machismo makes me want to puke)

That's all that comes to mind right now.

Apparently you hate everything that is good

I'm a special person...what can I say. "Good" is subjective.

Have you actually played the games in that original post, or just seen the trailer/gameplay?

*HIPSTER ALERT*

For me, you can pretty much insert any mainstream "bro" shooter...
Call of Duty, Battlefield, Borderlands, Mass Effect, Medal of Honor, Crysis, Dead Space, Far Cry, uhmmm yea the list goes on lol
I find them all to be terribly similar and soulless, "but mass effect and borderlands are RPGs" no, D&D, Final Fantasy, Megami Tensei, those are RPG's. no matter the extra features they seem to add, they all just feel the same....

It seems like a lot of people are answering the questions "games that are loved that you think are overrated?" or "games that are loved that you don't like?" Of course all of the answers are opinion, because the question is what we THINK is bad, but to me even if I don't like a game, I still can understand why it's considered good to so many people.

Games belonging to the Elder Scrolls series, Mass Effect series, and even the first Bioshock didn't interest me enough to finish them, but that doesn't mean that I think they are bad perse. Just not my taste. People are targeting some very big names here which if compared to other games totally blow them out of the water in their genre in terms of design and production value (Super Mario 64, GTA), but since the games didn't do what the player wanted, they considered by them to be bad. To me a bad game isn't one which does something or has a mechanic that I don't like. It isn't a game that doesn't live up to hype either. Come to think of it, it's actually difficult for me to come up with a definition for bad game, but many games listed above don't fit into the category.

If I had to pick one, I'd go with something like Farmville. Even if video game enthusiasts disagree that it is loved, its success speaks volumes against that sentiment. Still, I'd consider it bad because the gameplay is shallow, not immersive and nothing but a series of repeatable clicks which keep the player going by rewarding said clicks with a sense of achievement for doing very little. But then again, that's something people might look for in a game when they aren't into the immersion or complexity aspects of the design in the games they play so who am I to say its bad?

Munkeh111 said:

So basically you dislike every single big non-Nintendo game apart from sports games

Did I say that? Or anything even remotely close to that? No, I didn't.

Not everything I listed I HATE (though many I really don't care for), though all that I listed I at least simply have never had any interest in/don't care about.

But, I suppose if you need a little proof that your assumption is off base, sure why not:

Prince of Persia, de Blob, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Ghostbusters, Mushroom Men, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (is okay, not great), Super Street Fighter IV (same), Boom Blox, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Little King's Story, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Sonic Generations (decent), the Klonoa remake, RE: Umbrella Chronicles (was fun enough, basically House of the Dead), A Boy and His Blob remake, FFIV: The After Years, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom (even though I'm not familiar with most of the Tatsunoko lineup), and even though there are things I strongly dislike about it, I've still gotten a decent amount of enjoyment out of Skrim. There are others, but you get the idea.

Bear in mind, there're others I didn't list that I've just never really been much into, though I don't DISLIKE them, such as Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo,  the various LEGO games, Devil May Cry honestly falls under that category, except for the new one which is just lame, Sly Cooper, Spyro, stuff like that. And also, it bears saying that while I may REALLY dislike some games, like GTA, or Halo, or Uncharted....I see WHY some people like them so much, and know that most of them (with some exceptions, like CoD in my opinion) have a high degree of polish and all that. I just don't like them.

You go back in time a few generations, especially on NES and SNES, a majority of the games I love are big non-Nintendo party titles, like Castlevania, Final Fantasy, Mega Man, Ghosts n Goblins, Double Dragon, Final Fight, Golden Axe, Sonic, Gargoyle's Quest, Actraiser, Adventure Island, Breath of Fire, Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat, etc. It just so happens, sadly, that almost all of those franchises have either gone awol, or have (in my opinion) in turned to utter shit in the last several years.

Around the Network

mainly platform games like sonic or mario i dont think they are bad per se but fuck do they bore me quick

crysis 3. da f@ck is the deal with this game ?

totally forgettable and the "good" graphics are nothing more than a scheme to make you buy better hardware:

no, if you can't optimize your code to take proper advantage of the hardware at hand, you don't have good graphics, you have an elaborate advertisement that says buy more stuff !

DevilRising said:
Munkeh111 said:

So basically you dislike every single big non-Nintendo game apart from sports games

Did I say that? Or anything even remotely close to that? No, I didn't.

Not everything I listed I HATE (though many I really don't care for), though all that I listed I at least simply have never had any interest in/don't care about.

But, I suppose if you need a little proof that your assumption is off base, sure why not:

Prince of Persia, de Blob, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Ghostbusters, Mushroom Men, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (is okay, not great), Super Street Fighter IV (same), Boom Blox, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Little King's Story, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Sonic Generations (decent), the Klonoa remake, RE: Umbrella Chronicles (was fun enough, basically House of the Dead), A Boy and His Blob remake, FFIV: The After Years, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom (even though I'm not familiar with most of the Tatsunoko lineup), and even though there are things I strongly dislike about it, I've still gotten a decent amount of enjoyment out of Skrim. There are others, but you get the idea.

Bear in mind, there're others I didn't list that I've just never really been much into, though I don't DISLIKE them, such as Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo,  the various LEGO games, Devil May Cry honestly falls under that category, except for the new one which is just lame, Sly Cooper, Spyro, stuff like that. And also, it bears saying that while I may REALLY dislike some games, like GTA, or Halo, or Uncharted....I see WHY some people like them so much, and know that most of them (with some exceptions, like CoD in my opinion) have a high degree of polish and all that. I just don't like them.

You go back in time a few generations, especially on NES and SNES, a majority of the games I love are big non-Nintendo party titles, like Castlevania, Final Fantasy, Mega Man, Ghosts n Goblins, Double Dragon, Final Fight, Golden Axe, Sonic, Gargoyle's Quest, Actraiser, Adventure Island, Breath of Fire, Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat, etc. It just so happens, sadly, that almost all of those franchises have either gone awol, or have (in my opinion) in turned to utter shit in the last several years.

You just listed tons of games which aren't big games

DigitalDevilSummoner said:

crysis 3. da f@ck is the deal with this game ?

totally forgettable and the "good" graphics are nothing more than a scheme to make you buy better hardware:

no, if you can't optimize your code to take proper advantage of the hardware at hand, you don't have good graphics, you have an elaborate advertisement that says buy more stuff !

crysis 3 is loved? LOL 

personally i bought crysis 2 and i thought it was boring

Crysis, Far Cry 2, Halo, Need for Speed (anno 2008 and up to now), World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XIII, Devil May Cry, Bioshock 2.
These are from the top of my head.