By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS2 the biggest thing since TV

Biggest thing since the TV? Is this guy talking about electronics or any invention? PS2 is my favorite console of all time, but I would give that title to the PC with cell phones being a close second. The vast impact on communication and functionality that those two have made aren't comparable to a dedicated gaming machine.

And even if we're strictly talking gaming here, both PC and cellphones have a larger installed base and do things that can and can't be done on consoles. PS2 did what consoles did before it but on a much larger scale (aside from providing DVD functionality), because it brought gaming to the masses, but the statement made in the video is hyperbole.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
platformmaster918 said:
VGKing said:
Deyon said:
That Eyetoy part was a pretty nice jab at Microsoft!

No, it really wasn't...but those who think Microsoft inventented controller-less camera gaming probably got some history lessons :D

exactly.  Of course they didn't mention the most staggering number to me.  1.6 BILLION units of software sold to date.  Considering no other system has even gotten to 1 billion that is incredible.

Also I am going to love showing this video to everyone who thinks Wii is the biggest launch ever.  PS2 is the biggest and baddest game console ever and only just got discontinued in Japan.  It's probably close to 160 million if you do the math on their combined numbers and I'm not sure if we'll ever see another console as dominant...then again the PS4 is coming soon...oh so soon Sony shall rise again.

Maybe Xbox 360 will sell a billion games if you include digital downloads. The market has changed.

A Sony machine will never dominate the market like that again. Sony lost a lot of ground with the PS3. Also, the biggest advantage PS1 and PS2 had over the competition was tons of exclusive support. PS3 didn't have that and neighter will PS4.

man why you gotta rain on everyone's parade?  Just being nostalgic here and no machine will ever have the dominance PS2 did probably.  Now of course Sony lost a lot of third party exclusives but I prefer their 1st party stuff more than anyone else's and they still get those game, it's just xbox does too now.  They need 2 things to dominate again pretty decisively.  

1. advertising-let people know these damn games exist because as soon as someone sees me playing Heavy Rain, Twisted Metal, Resistance 3, or Sly 4 they instantly want it and many I know or tell about these games DO buy them but I'm not a mass market advertisement lol.  

2. launch same time same price-many 360 owners bought it in the first year or their friends did and wanted to play COD with them.  Many more bought it because it was less expensive to play their multiplats on (of course they didn't think of online.  This also ties in with advertising because they have to advertise the FREE nature of PSN for what will be the same experience for most of those players.  People play COD and sports games online and don't even realize there's a free alternative and it's sad quite honestly.  They're still more expensive so that shows that either people are catching on to this or they're seeing the exclusives through word of mouth so this is a good sign for Sony but they could easily have sold 100 million by now if they advertised these features better and weren't afraid to attack directly that model "Why pay $60 to play online when you could play online for free and get a whole nother game with that money?" something like that to show people the value.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

WagnerPaiva said:
VGKing said:
Deyon said:

No, it really wasn't...but those who think Microsoft inventented controller-less camera gaming probably got some history lessons :D

Yes, it was. Could someone compile all the ads in a thread?

What ads? You do know Eyetoy came out before Kinect right? So there was no "kinect bashing" as Kinect didn't even exist back then.

VGKing said:
WagnerPaiva said:
VGKing said:
Deyon said:

Yes, it was. Could someone compile all the ads in a thread?

What ads? You do know Eyetoy came out before Kinect right? So there was no "kinect bashing" as Kinect didn't even exist back then.

Sony predicted the copy and pre-bashed.  MS you've been Kazzed!

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

internet... biggest thing since tv... yeah seems more like it

Around the Network
platformmaster918 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
platformmaster918 said:
VGKing said:
Deyon said:

exactly.  Of course they didn't mention the most staggering number to me.  1.6 BILLION units of software sold to date.  Considering no other system has even gotten to 1 billion that is incredible.

Also I am going to love showing this video to everyone who thinks Wii is the biggest launch ever.  PS2 is the biggest and baddest game console ever and only just got discontinued in Japan.  It's probably close to 160 million if you do the math on their combined numbers and I'm not sure if we'll ever see another console as dominant...then again the PS4 is coming soon...oh so soon Sony shall rise again.

Maybe Xbox 360 will sell a billion games if you include digital downloads. The market has changed.

A Sony machine will never dominate the market like that again. Sony lost a lot of ground with the PS3. Also, the biggest advantage PS1 and PS2 had over the competition was tons of exclusive support. PS3 didn't have that and neighter will PS4.

man why you gotta rain on everyone's parade?  Just being nostalgic here and no machine will ever have the dominance PS2 did probably.  Now of course Sony lost a lot of third party exclusives but I prefer their 1st party stuff more than anyone else's and they still get those game, it's just xbox does too now.  They need 2 things to dominate again pretty decisively.  

1. advertising-let people know these damn games exist because as soon as someone sees me playing Heavy Rain, Twisted Metal, Resistance 3, or Sly 4 they instantly want it and many I know or tell about these games DO buy them but I'm not a mass market advertisement lol.  

2. launch same time same price-many 360 owners bought it in the first year or their friends did and wanted to play COD with them.  Many more bought it because it was less expensive to play their multiplats on (of course they didn't think of online.  This also ties in with advertising because they have to advertise the FREE nature of PSN for what will be the same experience for most of those players.  People play COD and sports games online and don't even realize there's a free alternative and it's sad quite honestly.  They're still more expensive so that shows that either people are catching on to this or they're seeing the exclusives through word of mouth so this is a good sign for Sony but they could easily have sold 100 million by now if they advertised these features better and weren't afraid to attack directly that model "Why pay $60 to play online when you could play online for free and get a whole nother game with that money?" something like that to show people the value.

What are you people being nostalgic about? Sony dominating the market? Sony fans can be a little nutty sometimes.

I don't think advertising has the impact you think it does. Advertising a lone doesn't make hits. Sony has to actually make games people want. Maybe more Gran Turismo and less of that other crap we saw in 2012.

Most people aren't actually playing games online, so MS charging for online play doesn't matter to most 360 owners.

Sony might be reluctant to promote its free online services because of PS+. I know its apples and oranges, but Sony probably doesn't want to shit on someone else's subscription service while pushing their subscription service. Also, I really feel Sony is on the ropes about keeping online play free. I atleast expect them to make online gaming more appealing for PS+ users.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
platformmaster918 said:
VGKing said:
Deyon said:

These threads and news about Playstation and recent sales must be obliterating you from inside out, huh?

I still have the fat PS2 with network adapter and HDD. Playing games off the hard drive really is the way to go. Much, much faster.

Player1x3 said:

These threads and news about Playstation and recent sales must be obliterating you from inside out, huh?

No, but I'm sure Sony's struggles is obliterating you.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Most undeserved console victory since the invention of consoles.

I LOVE ICELAND!