By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS2 the biggest thing since TV

Attoyou said:

Yeah I know. And my point was that PS2 was not anything like Wii for its time, it was cutting edge as far as graphics and tech for a time. Nintendo fans went from championing graphics to graphics didn't matter (Seems graphics do matter if you have a look at any Wii U graphics thread over the last couple of years lol) Meanwhile I have yet to See a PS fan say anything like  "graphics dont matter" weakest system or not, since ps1. Anyways this is getting more and more off topic. 

But for a longer time, it was not... Anyways, I agree with the rest that loyal fans usually just follow a company blindly and it happens for fans of all companies, so this is you are correct, a non-issue. I just wanted to point out the obvious in a thread that states the ludicrous (PS2 biggest thing since TV).

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
Attoyou said:

Yeah I know. And my point was that PS2 was not anything like Wii for its time, it was cutting edge as far as graphics and tech for a time. Nintendo fans went from championing graphics to graphics didn't matter (Seems graphics do matter if you have a look at any Wii U graphics thread over the last couple of years lol) Meanwhile I have yet to See a PS fan say anything like  "graphics dont matter" weakest system or not, since ps1. Anyways this is getting more and more off topic. 

But for a longer time, it was not... Anyways, I agree with the rest that loyal fans usually just follow a company blindly and it happens for fans of all companies, so this is you are correct, a non-issue. I just wanted to point out the obvious in a thread that states the ludicrous (PS2 biggest thing since TV).

PS2 still had a big jump though.  That MGS2 demo looked unlike anything we'd seen on Dreamcast and it came out before Gamecube and Xbox so they couldn't prove they could do better.  It was a NEXT GEN system spec wise as in it was above Saturn, Psone, and N64 by a very significant margin.  Wii on the other hand wasn't that far above PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube so it deservidly gets bashed for its tech.  PS4 may not be above xbox and I don't care if it is just like I didn't care if PS3 was above 360.  I only care if it's a leap over the current gen which I think it will be and give those amazing first party studios a big jump to work with.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

platformmaster918 said:

PS2 still had a big jump though.  That MGS2 demo looked unlike anything we'd seen on Dreamcast and it came out before Gamecube and Xbox so they couldn't prove they could do better.  It was a NEXT GEN system spec wise as in it was above Saturn, Psone, and N64 by a very significant margin.  Wii on the other hand wasn't that far above PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube so it deservidly gets bashed for its tech.  PS4 may not be above xbox and I don't care if it is just like I didn't care if PS3 was above 360.  I only care if it's a leap over the current gen which I think it will be and give those amazing first party studios a big jump to work with.

Fair enough.

Some fans just won't stop bragging about having the very best graphics, and I'm glad you and I agree that that's just silly.

happydolphin said:
His point about DVD wasn't cutting edge, it was media functionality. DVDs were just more practical in every way than VHS.

So I gotta say no to that.

DVD was an increase in video and audio quality. And by that time, DVD players weren't common in Japan, so PS2 introduced the DVD for many people.

torok said:
happydolphin said:
His point about DVD wasn't cutting edge, it was media functionality. DVDs were just more practical in every way than VHS.

So I gotta say no to that.

DVD was an increase in video and audio quality. And by that time, DVD players weren't common in Japan, so PS2 introduced the DVD for many people.

The most important part of your post is the second, because we know that the DVD wasn't particularly cutting edge, it was just incredibly more practical. And yeah, bringing that to the masses was largely thanks to the PS2, I agree.

The increase in video and audio quality was important, but not as important as people put emphasis on video and audio quality today (a bit crazily if I may say so).

The point he was making was that the PS2 was a neat console for its time, it brought media playback and all. I mentioned as a reply Netflix, but you're both right to say that media capability is now considered de facto, whereas in the PS2's time, it wasn't.

So I concede the point.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
platformmaster918 said:

Fair enough.

Some fans just won't stop bragging about having the very best graphics, and I'm glad you and I agree that that's just silly.

To anyone who's obsessed with graphics capabilities I always say

Q: you enjoyed gaming on PS1/N64/PS2/Gamecube/etc.  Those systems don't look good compared to current gen.  Does this make every game that you loved on them not enjoyable anymore?

A: Well no

Q:  Oh but I thought it needed to have the best graphics?  By your logic every system and game that isn't cutting edge isn't as enjoyable as a system that is.  You believe it is inferior.  Therefore every generation just gets better than the one before and every game in 720p is better than every game in 480p.

A: ...

The ironic thing is that most of these same people want BC in their new console and say their favorite game ever is something from the N64 or SNES era lol I honestly think people just lose sight of how ridiculous that kind of position is.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

happydolphin said:
The most important part of your post is the second, because we know that the DVD wasn't particularly cutting edge, it was just incredibly more practical. And yeah, bringing that to the masses was largely thanks to the PS2, I agree.

The increase in video and audio quality was important, but not as important as people put emphasis on video and audio quality today (a bit crazily if I may say so).

The point he was making was that the PS2 was a neat console for its time, it brought media playback and all. I mentioned as a reply Netflix, but you're both right to say that media capability is now considered de facto, whereas in the PS2's time, it wasn't.

So I concede the point.

Looking at these points, the PS2 wasn't as cutting edge as PS3 was at launch time. DVD wasn't so expensive and advanced as Blu-Ray was in 2006 and the praphics tech in PS3 was more advanced comparing with other devices in the same time frame. So PS2 wasn't cutting edge (your point is correct), it had a balanced set of technological features. PS3 would be cutting edge. And by the look of things, a balanced set is much more successful than cutting edge devices.