By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U achievements?

RolStoppable said:

And on the flipside, if you are one of the persons who doesn't care too much about showing off, it's a meaningless feature. The vast majority of gamers fall into that camp. Some, because they are genuinely not interested at all. Some, because they aren't all that good at games and know that they'll never come close to achieve all the things good gamers do. Some, because they play games to have fun and don't believe that you can achieve anything substantial in a video game; they rather invest their energy into achieving things in real life instead. There are a lot of reasons to not care about achievements.

On gaming forums, however, achievements are of incredible importance. That's because the people who are attracted to such forums are often people who like to show off; and most of them are obviously male, because females in general don't have the same drive for competition. So you end up with a general consensus that suggests that a system-wide achievement system is a necessity. You are looking at a sample that is not representative of the actual market.

So Nintendo consoles don't have a system-wide achievement system. An insignificant minority will complain. It happens.

On a personal level, it doesn't bother me that Nintendo consoles don't have a system-wide achievement system; for that to happen I would have to care in the first place. On a business level, it doesn't hurt Nintendo to ignore a tiny minority of the market, so from that point of view I don't have any objections to Nintendo's decision either.

http://www.examiner.com/article/xbox360achievements-org-sets-new-monthly-record

2.5m unique monthly (!) users for Xbox360achievements.org
1.65m unique monthly (!) users for PS3Trophies.org

even more with Trueachievement users and people who don't want to use walkthroughs or need help to get their achievements.

Overall surely as insignificant as Zelda fans on the Wii.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
RolStoppable said:
d21lewis said:

Yeah, but then, you could just ignore them if you don't care about them.  I just know that nobody really cared about Uncharted until Sony gave it a trophy patch.  Then, the game exploded.  People like 'em. 

That's a nice story, but I don't believe in fairy tales.

Hey, it's money left on the table.  They're addictive.  Make one of those sales graph thingies that show Uncharted 1's sales.  I'm sure it will prove my point.  There are people that buy games for one console or the other just because they prefer one over the other.  With Nintendo, there's nothing there to prefer.

thanks for doing that for me lol

d21lewis said:
RolStoppable said:
d21lewis said:

Yeah, but then, you could just ignore them if you don't care about them.  I just know that nobody really cared about Uncharted until Sony gave it a trophy patch.  Then, the game exploded.  People like 'em. 

That's a nice story, but I don't believe in fairy tales.

Hey, it's money left on the table.  They're addictive.  Make one of those sales graph thingies that show Uncharted 1's sales.  I'm sure it will prove my point.  There are people that buy games for one console or the other just because they prefer one over the other.  With Nintendo, there's nothing there to prefer.

Certainly one less reason for PS3/WiiU or 360/WiiU owners to get a multiplat game on the WiiU (if they perform similar on each system and have the same content).

RolStoppable said:
d21lewis said:

Go here and enter Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, if it isn't already. The only notable spikes are holiday seasons and the PS3 Slim launch that coincided with a price drop, but feel free to point me to the date when the trophy patch for the game was released.

Got my first trophy in August 2008.  I noticed a steady rise about that time.

I don't care about PSN trophies, but I still look at the trophy requirements to see if there are any fun additional things I should do.

It simply feels regressive and does ignore a portion of the market.

Sort of like when the PS2 only had 2 controller ports even though the N64 and DC had them way before it.

Or releasing a non-HD console in 2006.

Or releasing a console without achievements in 2006.

Around the Network

Sony noticed how viral achievements were getting on 360 and quickly added trophies to the PS3.

Perhaps trophies were one of the reasons PS3 was 'saved', after all.

Collecting trophies and achievements is very addictive and those who enjoy it will for sure skip a platform without this kind of support, multiplat titles considered.

This may be a little off-topic, but trophies/achievements/unified login are going to create an attachment to the brand (PS/XBOX).

I would be willing to bet that the PS4/720 are going to roll over peoples trophies/achievements and that is going to create a new reason to stick with that brand.

"Hmmm should I get a PS3 or 720? I can start at 0 on PS4....or I can buy a 720 and keep building up my gamer score where I left off".

People are going to eat that shit up, and Nintendo has set themselves up for a future where there is no roll-over into the next generation. (Granted they can probably patch it in like Sony did)

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Miyamoto:

"We actually had look at how important people think achievements are for the gaming experience. Surprisingly, our survey at Club Nintendo showed that less than 1% think it is either "important" or "very important". Another thing that we concluded was that achievements in essence doesn't really add any new, interesting gameplay experiences. So, with this in mind, we decided not to invest any future effort in regards to achievements."

*coughcough*

My anecdote >>> Your "data"

JOKA_ said:
This may be a little off-topic, but trophies/achievements/unified login are going to create an attachment to the brand (PS/XBOX).

I would be willing to bet that the PS4/720 are going to roll over peoples trophies/achievements and that is going to create a new reason to stick with that brand.

"Hmmm should I get a PS3 or 720? I can start at 0 on PS4....or I can buy a 720 and keep building up my gamer score where I left off".

People are going to eat that shit up, and Nintendo has set themselves up for a future where there is no roll-over into the next generation. (Granted they can probably patch it in like Sony did)

Exactly. Despite owning PS3/360/PSV/PC, I pick multiplats only on PlayStation platforms because my trophy count is higher.

Seeing how Sony added trophies to PS Vita games and unified the login, it's a no brainer they will do the same with the PS4; same for Microsoft with 360, Games for Windows and Windows Phone, they will add the 720 to the mix for sure.

Nintendo however missed no less than three opportunities to implement this system - Wii, 3DS and now Wii U. I tell you, I would most certainly have gotten a Nintendo console (3DS specially) if it had some kind of achievement system. I really like collecting stuff.

noname2200 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Miyamoto:

"We actually had look at how important people think achievements are for the gaming experience. Surprisingly, our survey at Club Nintendo showed that less than 1% think it is either "important" or "very important". Another thing that we concluded was that achievements in essence doesn't really add any new, interesting gameplay experiences. So, with this in mind, we decided not to invest any future effort in regards to achievements."

*coughcough*

My anecdote >>> Your "data"

It's pretty hilarious how Miyamoto surveyed people at "Nintendo Club" about an achievement system they never had in the first place.

Now please, survey the playerbases of PlayStation and Xbox systems, who are used to trophies and achievements. I would bet the results would be quite different.

If I remember correctly, Gearbox (Borderlands dev) once mentioned easy achievements could boost the sales of their games by up to 40K units (AAA title).

I also hope they implement their "hearts" system some time.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey