By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U achievements?

I just don't think the argument that they are unnecessary is valid, since people who don't like them can just ignore the achievement system. But if there is no system at all, people who like them are dissapointed. But i think Nintendo has a lot to do with the whole account system, so users can personalize their accounts more. And that would best include some kind of achievement system. Don't be so stubborn Nintendo! :-O

Around the Network

I usually trust Nintendo but this was a mistake. A chance to start new would have been greatly appreciated. If there were Achievements, I'd be playing games right now instead of browsing the web with my Wii U.

It seems to me that achievements are popular mostly in the west, which is why Nintendo overlooked it.
Personally, I don't care too much... Most games I play, I never notice when I unlock achievements... I also think a lot of the achievements are ridiculously dumb (You threw a grenade! Wow!) ... so personally, I get no incentive to play games when achievements are involved.

But I can see why they should've been included to draw the 360/ps3 crowd in more. Ah... well.

KylieDog said:
RenderMonk said:
It'd also like to see the Wii U have achievements of some kind. I know that Nintendo believes that they cheapen the gameplay though. And it's just too "American" for them. Don't see them making it a mandatory thing, although they really should. It does beg the question though.....if the have been quoted as saying they won't make them mandatory, but they will allow them, then there has to be some sort of system in place for them. Sure they can copy the achievement/trophy lists from Microsoft/Sony, but what will they be called, how will they be tracked, and in what form will they appear and where.

So one way or another they will be coming. Then once they start, I don't see them backing away from them. So if we see them at all on the Wii U, eventually they will be as common place as they are on the other two systems. Wonder what date/game will kick off the show?

When they say they will let developers choose, they really mean there is no system of any kind and it cannot be tracked or seen by others in any way whatsoever.  Up to the dev means the dev need create there own system, most do not bother.

Miiverse. You end up making a forum-post for every in-game achievement you can, if the game supports it.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

i'm ashamed to say that i am a trophy whore. So obviously achievements are important to alot of people.

Around the Network

Without Achievements the Wii-U is DOOMED!

Mr Khan said:
KylieDog said:
RenderMonk said:
It'd also like to see the Wii U have achievements of some kind. I know that Nintendo believes that they cheapen the gameplay though. And it's just too "American" for them. Don't see them making it a mandatory thing, although they really should. It does beg the question though.....if the have been quoted as saying they won't make them mandatory, but they will allow them, then there has to be some sort of system in place for them. Sure they can copy the achievement/trophy lists from Microsoft/Sony, but what will they be called, how will they be tracked, and in what form will they appear and where.

So one way or another they will be coming. Then once they start, I don't see them backing away from them. So if we see them at all on the Wii U, eventually they will be as common place as they are on the other two systems. Wonder what date/game will kick off the show?

When they say they will let developers choose, they really mean there is no system of any kind and it cannot be tracked or seen by others in any way whatsoever.  Up to the dev means the dev need create there own system, most do not bother.

Miiverse. You end up making a forum-post for every in-game achievement you can, if the game supports it.

I considered something like that.  I even thought that it would actually be better than real Achievements because you can post an actual pic of your accomplishments for others to see.  Then, I realized how tough it was to filter through past posts.  It really is like Twitter.  If you post a lot, your older posts will never be seen, again.

radiantshadow92 said:
they said no. and to that i said big mistake

Nintendo never outright said no. They said that developers will be able to on a game-by-game basis, and that they can if they want to. There just won't be an overall unified approach. Whether developers actually implement them is left up to them. 

I don't care about achievements but I like the idea of sharing things with your friends. For example, in Mario Kart you get 3 stars when you're really good, so why not sharing that information in your profile? Things like that would be cool to see.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

IamAwsome said:
radiantshadow92 said:
they said no. and to that i said big mistake

Nintendo never outright said no. They said that developers will be able to on a game-by-game basis, and that they can if they want to. There just won't be an overall unified approach. Whether developers actually implement them is left up to them. 

As far as I know, they are not integrated to your Nintendo Network ID.   So those "achievements/trophies" will only exist on certain game only, which makes them kind of more useless of what they already are.   Having said so,  even though trophies are useless in a practical sense, people like to rise their gaming points, and because of that it is important for the trophies to be integrated to your online ID.

Saying "it is a game to game basis" is like when some PS2 or PS3 (before the patch) games had some badges or medals unlocked by completing certain tasks, but they are not worth a damn for your gaming score.  So they are not trophies in a proper sense, in other words Nintendo said no, indirectly.