By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U achievements?

They need to hurry up and make them mandatory

They THINK that Ninty fans don't want it BUT THEY DO even if they don't know it yet

They better do it now so the majority of the Wii U library will have the Accomplishments

Sony did the same thing with their Trophies in 2008.. they didn't make them mandatory but would allow devs to implement them if they wanted SMFH! They eventually made them mandatory in every game in 2009 if i'm not mistaken

and now their are a lot of games on PS3 that dont have Trophies( The majority of the games released before 2009)

lol Ninty is going to eventually make them mandatory in a year or 2 so they should just do it now..

Around the Network

If a game has achievements on one console and not on the other, I will always buy the one with achievements. So I will always buy a multi plaform game on the PS3 or Xbox in preference to the Wii U. If Nintendo wants to ensure increased sales of third party titles then they need to have an achievement system in place...

It's not a deal breaker for me. Besides, I think ingame achievments are better.

I think they should have launched Wii U with a system-wide achievement system like everything else out there now.

I bought Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Mass Effect 3, Darksiders II, and Assassin's Creed III all on Wii U, and some have "accomplishments", but they're just not the same when you can't share them or add them to your overall gamerscore or whatever.

I think it's really necessary that Nintendo implements some kind of mandatory achievement system! It doesn't have to look exactly like the one from MS or Sony but i think an achievement system is also a factor for which system the consumer buys his/hers 3rd party games for. I know it is for me, i buy most of my multiplats for the 360 because i like how the profile puts together everything you have played, you can see your progress, can compare with your friends etc.

Nintendo has the right instrument with the MiiVerse, all they have to do now is to expand the system there! Right now the possibilities are very limited and primitive, why can't we see the games we have played in our profiles? That would be a start, they could implement a 6 step system for every game for example: If you progress the game, for each step you cross you can collect an item. For example a fire flower for the first step, a red mushroom for the second step and so on and if you complete the game you get a star or whatever. Those items would all add together in your profile and maybe you could unlock certain things when you have collected enough items of a kind.

Thats just an idea i had, it certainly needs some rethinking i know I'm not a fan of those "kill 50 enemies" or "make 20 backflips" achievements, that's why i think it would be better to keep them on a low number. But if every developer can make his own system and implement something one way or another, it's just not satisfying for the consumer, nobody will keep track and it's just confusing.

But it's Nintendo, i'm not getting my hopes up about that, they are just really conservative about stuff like that...

Around the Network
Metallicube said:

Achievements are a neat little bonus, but they shouldn't be required. They add nothing to gameplay, they only add an artifical sense of accomplishment, which the game itself should be able to provide on its own.

This. Though I will say that I'm addicted to achievements and can't imagine a way to play without them (sadly). It's kind of like actually having proof that you finished halo 4 on legendary solo or whatever. Nothing wrong with a bit of online bragging rights. It's in a way, the progression of games. MS did it, Steam and Sony followed suit.

I think achievements are superfluous, and one of many things wrong with the video game industry at the moment.

However, many people seem to adore them and will even purchase games for a particular system in order to raise their gamer score or trophy count. So with that in mind, Nintendo made a mistake not including them. But it's a business mistake, not a mistake of philosophy.

Nintendo's saving them for next gen.

Maybe they should make an accomplishment system a la super mario bros :
- 1 star when you complete the game.
- 1 star when you unlock all the hidden levels and so on up to 5 stars when you do everything in the game.

But we must first concentrate ourselves on the way to entertain people, for video games to live. Else, it's a world where sales representative will win, which has as effect to kill creativity. I want to say to the creators all around the world:"Courage, Dare!". Shigeru Miyamoto.

What did Iwata say? They didn't want the traditional online platform, therefore they won't add achievement/trophies because it has already been done.

Ach/trophies are the reason why I keep playing certain games after finishing them, getting more bang for my buck.