By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Ohio school board to prevent school shootings by arming their Janitors with fire arms

Max King of the Wild said:
Janitors are low level peons without and education who make 12-15 bucks an hour. This is stupid though I'm all for teachers carrying them.

12-15 dollars an hour?  Perhaps I should clean up shit and puke for that wage.  I'm doing worse in the manufacturing industry.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Janitors are low level peons without and education who make 12-15 bucks an hour. This is stupid though I'm all for teachers carrying them.

12-15 dollars an hour?  Perhaps I should clean up shit and puke for that wage.  I'm doing worse in the manufacturing industry.

I changed it to 9 dollars an hour. but the average yearly salary is 25k. Thats more than i make in a 9-12 month period making 10.28 an hour.

sethnintendo said:

I changed it to 9 dollars an hour. but the average yearly salary is 25k. Thats more than i make in a 9-12 month period making 10.28 an hour.

Yep.  I don't believe I made more than that working for 10.70 with some overtime.  To make 25k a year working ~40 hours a week would be about 12 to 13 at the least.  Don't forget schools are shut down a lot (summer, winter holidays, etc). 

burninmylight said:
burninmylight said:

so you think you can roam the hallways undetected after getting in the school undetected with a firearm? The is very naive thinking if you think you can pull it off.

Assuming the school doesn't have metal detectors or security to check every student's bags at every entrance, how hard is it to conceal a handgun? Answer: Not very.

most school shootings are from people going into the school guns blazing with as many weapons as they can carry... so you would plan to carry around a backpack while looking for the janitor... and what if you never see him? Do you go to class or do you roam the halls while class is in looking for him? Then when you see him what do you do? Stalk  him or pull out your gun right then and there?

I'm not going to pretend to understand exactly how these disturbed human beings think, or act like I can put myself directly in their frame of mind. But am I allowed to make the assumption that when they go into the school guns blazing, it's often 1) unexpected and unnanounced, and 2) in a school light on (or bereft of) security or custodial crew armed with firearms? I imagine the shooters aren't completely psycho and beyond manner or logic, and if their aim is to take as many lives as possible, this is best achieved by first eliminating the biggest threats.

It also seems like you're assuming janitors can suddenly perform at the level of trained officers when bullets suddenly start flying and things get real. I'd venture to guess that simply putting a gun into a custodial worker's possession doesn't suddenly teach that person how to not panic, identify threats, manage a crowd or subdue a threat while minimizing casualties. I'm sure these people would receive some training to that effect, nowhere near the level you'd expect of a police officer. Otherwise, they'd just be police officers.

sethnintendo said:

Most people don't know janitors make good coin (working for private companies, at least). I have a friend that dropped out of college to become a janitor, and he pretty much makes the same as me without wasting the thousands of dollars to pay for a degree.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
sethnintendo said:

Yep.  I don't believe I made more than that working for 10.70 with some overtime.  To make 25k a year working ~40 hours a week would be about 12 to 13 at the least.  Don't forget schools are shut down a lot (summer, winter holidays, etc). 

I made 25k one year in my life (in '07) and I was making 11 dollars an hour and 60 hours a week for the last three months of the year. 9.75 at 50 hours a week for the middle 6 months and 8.50 and 30 hours a week for the first two months (I was out for a month because my lung collapsed). Those are rough estimates of course.

Anyway, I said 9-12 months because not every janitorial position is at a school thats closed during those times.

burninmylight said:
sethnintendo said:

Most people don't know janitors make good coin (working for private companies, at least). I have a friend that dropped out of college to become a janitor, and he pretty much makes the same as me without wasting the thousands of dollars to pay for a degree.

My baby's momma's grandpa was a higher level janitor... I don't exactly know what he did but he made great money. (Enough for a 3 level 4 bedroom house). Ofcourse he worked it damn near his whole life. The grandma was pissed at me and talked shit about me because I didn't take them up on their offer to
take a position in the inner city school of chicago. Here's the kicker though, I averaged 30 hours a week at target making about the same an hour as I would as a janitor (10 dollars an hour), target was a mile down the road while Chicago was 40 miles, and the government paid for my school and at the end of each semester I got a check for 1,500 in left over grant money. That family was the dumbest fucking family I have ever known

HesAPooka said:

A school board in Ohio has decided that the best way to prevent school shootings is to arm their Janitors, but don't worry because the cutodians will have a 2 day training session before being provided with a fire arm and ask to risk their lives on behalf of everyone else. 

I have to ask does this seem like a good response to the recent shootings? Would you feel safer knowing your Janitor is packing heat? Would you prefer armed police officers walking through the hall ways at your school? What happens if the Janitor loses his head and decides to use his training to hurt kids instead? Basically is someone did want to shoot up a school all they would have to do now is sign up to be a janitor at a school at that school district and the school would provide him with the gun he could do it with. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/11/armed-janitors-approved-school-shootings_n_2458167.html

i guess they cant hire illegal workers as a janitor now... kidding

wait 2 days???

wtf!?

in 2 days, people will be so accurate on shooting that kids receiving a stray bullet from a 2 day trained guy is next to impossible.... 

burninmylight said:
burninmylight said:
burninmylight said:

It also seems like you're assuming janitors can suddenly perform at the level of trained officers when bullets suddenly start flying and things get real. I'd venture to guess that simply putting a gun into a custodial worker's possession doesn't suddenly teach that person how to not panic, identify threats, manage a crowd or subdue a threat while minimizing casualties. I'm sure these people would receive some training to that effect, nowhere near the level you'd expect of a police officer. Otherwise, they'd just be police officers.

Not at all, that's why I'm against the janitors carrying but at the same time the shooter needs to confront an armed personel too.

aikohualda said:
HesAPooka said:

A school board in Ohio has decided that the best way to prevent school shootings is to arm their Janitors, but don't worry because the cutodians will have a 2 day training session before being provided with a fire arm and ask to risk their lives on behalf of everyone else. 

I have to ask does this seem like a good response to the recent shootings? Would you feel safer knowing your Janitor is packing heat? Would you prefer armed police officers walking through the hall ways at your school? What happens if the Janitor loses his head and decides to use his training to hurt kids instead? Basically is someone did want to shoot up a school all they would have to do now is sign up to be a janitor at a school at that school district and the school would provide him with the gun he could do it with. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/11/armed-janitors-approved-school-shootings_n_2458167.html

i guess they cant hire illegal workers as a janitor now... kidding

wait 2 days???

wtf!?

in 2 days, people will be so accurate on shooting that kids receiving a stray bullet from a 2 day trained guy is next to impossible.... 

I doubt the 2 days would have any substantial amount of target practice. It would probablly be more educational of how to evaluate the situation and the proper way to react to the situation. When to fire and not fire. Get to know the hand guns features such as ammunition, trigger, saftey, ect ect... Probably a short time in the range