By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Ohio school board to prevent school shootings by arming their Janitors with fire arms

Max King of the Wild said:
Trunkin said:
Janitors are low level peons without and education who make 12-15 bucks an hour. This is stupid though I'm all for teachers carrying them.

http://gizmodo.com/5671062/there-are-5000-janitors-in-the-us-with-phds

5k have phd's in which country? Also, 5k hardly disproves anything i said considering that would be a small minority .25%

5k in the US. I realize that it's only a small fraction of the 2+ million janitors in the country, but your comment  makes the statistic even more tragically hilarious that it already is.

Around the Network

5k is .22% (yes, POINT .22%) of the janitors position. That link actually shows janitor positions having the smallest amount of workers with higher than college education. It really isn't too concerning especially since what I stated above. Medical Doctors can come to the US and get a job as a phlebotomist and make more than what they would in their country.

Janitor is one of thousands of positions that can easily be handled by someone without a high school education, and for anyone with any kind of read degree to be doing it is a waste of resources; either the resources that went towards educating them, or the waste of the skills they gained from their education.

Also... i just don't like the general impression that you need to have gone to college to be considered smart. There are tons of smart people who haven't gone to college, or gotten a higher degree....

and plenty of stupid people that have... I mean, some of the people i meet in graduate programs.

I mean heck, one of the world's smartest men is a bouncer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Langan

PScollector said:
Solve a gun problem by giving out more guns...................................................fail

Yeah because gun control is working right? 

On topic, I think it is questionable having janitors with guns. They're one of the least respected professions in the world, wouldn't be long before a kid makes fun of the janitor and one of them loses their cool...maybe he doesn't shoot the kid but even if he just points it at the kid to scare the shit out of him or fires a warning shot...would be bad news. 

My solution is: 

1) The principal and vice principal(s) should have guns locked in their respective offices. There's 2 or 3 armed good guys right there, and the guns would always be safely locked away in a spot that students have very limited access to (and would never be in unattended). 

AND (not or)

2) An armed officer or two in schools. Even my school in Canada had an officer there full time (but unarmed I believe, mind you) so it's not a big deal. Having an armed officer or two in schools would massively increase the safety in schools, the only downside is the added cost of his salary. 

This way there would be anywhere from 3-5 good guys with guns who could quickly react to an armed assailant. Now doesn't that sound better than the shooter having a school full of defenceless kids and teachers to attack while it takes the police 10+ minutes to get there and respond?

nuckles87 said:
How so? :D

The link that trunkin provided shows that 95% of the janitors have less than a college education. It is the lowest percentage of people who have a college education. That would support what I said. Also, the link doesn't tell me where the degree was earned or what it was earned in.

Around the Network

Just as a video demonstrating my point:

HappySqurriel said:

5k is .22% (yes, POINT .22%) of the janitors position. That link actually shows janitor positions having the smallest amount of workers with higher than college education. It really isn't too concerning especially since what I stated above. Medical Doctors can come to the US and get a job as a phlebotomist and make more than what they would in their country.

Janitor is one of thousands of positions that can easily be handled by someone without a high school education, and for anyone with any kind of read degree to be doing it is a waste of resources; either the resources that went towards educating them, or the waste of the skills they gained from their education.

I agree, but like I said, maybe they are earning more money being a janitor than they would be working in their home country in line with their degree. So maybe they aren't too mad about their education like you suggested.

HappySqurriel said:

Just as a video demonstrating my point:

Terrible place to go if you are looking for a job. lol but I agree, my wife (majoring in economics) did a report on that just last semester. However, that video is utterly stupid for a few reasons. 1 New Orleans? on that street? people chose to go there. they didn't go there in pursuit of a career. 2. a lot of those majors are stupid things to major in (My wife actually did a breakdown of majors and returns) such as history. 3. They stopped showing the question "when did you graduate" and just started showing the "what did you major in" some of those may have been drop outs. and finally 4. cherry picked all to hell

THIS JUST IN!

Kids make fun of Janitor and get shot in the face.

Why have only have certain people (Janitors in this instance) carry? How about you let those teachers/janitors/administrators that WANT to carry, carry

Kasz216 said:
Also... i just don't like the general impression that you need to have gone to college to be considered smart. There are tons of smart people who haven't gone to college, or gotten a higher degree....

and plenty of stupid people that have... I mean, some of the people i meet in graduate programs.

I mean heck, one of the world's smartest men is a bouncer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Langan

I concur.  Completely.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.