By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Ohio school board to prevent school shootings by arming their Janitors with fire arms

NintendoPie said:
Max King of the Wild said:
Janitors are low level peons without and education who make 12-15 bucks an hour. This is stupid though I'm all for teachers carrying them.

That is quite the generalization you got there!

You're right sorry. 9 to 15 bucks an hour. How is it generalizing? To be a janitor you don't need a high school diploma. People with college educations would be wasting their degree cleaning up puke after snot nosed kids.

Around the Network
sperrico87 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Why give the janitors guns? Give them to the teachers or put police officers in their. It doesn't have to be armed to the teeth just a few officers.

Police only get there after the crime has been committed.  Their job is to draw a chalk outline around the bodies.  They'll run toward the sound of the gunfire...after the guns already been fired.  Unless you're going to have an armed guard in every single room of the school, at all times, your plan doesn't work.  Even then, it's no guarantee at all that a shooting could always be prevented.  All it would take is the officer to turn their back to the criminal, or have their attention diverted, and they themselves could be shot without any warning.  So it's just not a very realistic or well-thought out plan.

First of all a armed person doesn't need to be in all the classrooms. Having them would be a deterrant and if someone still proceeds with their plan to start shooting a school then the duty of the armed personel is to limit the damage. As for the person turning their back, that's obviously a possibility but the person needs to get in the school with the gun undetected first. Then they need to make sure their shots count.

I don't think these so-called symbolic "deterrants" mean much to someone who's psychotic enough to want to shoot a classroom full of children.  You're attempting to apply rational solutions to an irrational problem.  The insane are called so for a reason.  It's not something that can even be predicated, let alone prevented.

sperrico87 said:

NobleTeam360 said:
Why give the janitors guns? Give them to the teachers or put police officers in their. It doesn't have to be armed to the teeth just a few officers.

Police only get there after the crime has been committed.  Their job is to draw a chalk outline around the bodies.  They'll run toward the sound of the gunfire...after the guns already been fired.  Unless you're going to have an armed guard in every single room of the school, at all times, your plan doesn't work.  Even then, it's no guarantee at all that a shooting could always be prevented.  All it would take is the officer to turn their back to the criminal, or have their attention diverted, and they themselves could be shot without any warning.  So it's just not a very realistic or well-thought out plan.

That is true. Columbine, after all, actually had an armed policeman stationed on the premises. He was just away from the school when the shooting happened. Virginia Tech, like most colleges, had its own police force. Neither were able to prevent their shootings simply because they can only be in so many places at once. I don't know about "having an armed guard at every door" but both certainly would have required an increased police presense for it to have been effective in these situations, going by what I've read about them.

That being said, having armed police officers at a school isn't a bad idea. It just isn't flawless. The policeman stationed at Columbine actually says that a combination of an assault weapons ban and more armed guards on school grounds would both help reduce these sorts of shootings:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/columbine-armed-guards-schools-students-safe-article-1.1225796

As far as I'm concerned, that's kind of solution is the only serious one there is.

You're right sorry. 9 to 15 bucks an hour. How is it generalizing? To be a janitor you don't need a high school diploma. People with college educations would be wasting their degree cleaning up puke after snot nosed kids.

Just because you don't have a diploma doesn't mean you're stupid. 

How is it not generalizing?

Trunkin said:
Janitors are low level peons without and education who make 12-15 bucks an hour. This is stupid though I'm all for teachers carrying them.

http://gizmodo.com/5671062/there-are-5000-janitors-in-the-us-with-phds

5k have phd's in which country? Also, 5k hardly disproves anything i said considering that would be a small minority .25%

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:

Just because you don't have a diploma doesn't mean you're stupid. 

How is it not generalizing?

reading comprehension has failed you my son.

Where in the world did you get that from? If anyone has failed at reading comprehension it, for sure, would not be me.

NintendoPie said:

Where in the world did you get that from? If anyone has failed at reading comprehension it, for sure, would not be me.

youre denial is making it worse.

Trunkin said:

http://gizmodo.com/5671062/there-are-5000-janitors-in-the-us-with-phds

On a side note ...

I wonder how many of those PHDs regret their education now. Its one thing to say you don't care that your education has no real world value when you're a student, but when you graduate with tens of thousands of dollars of student debt and work at an awful job for low pay I imagine your values shift dramatically.

youre denial is making it worse.

I like how you're still not answering my question on where you percieved that I can't comprehend what I read.