By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global UP! 5th January

Wii U has no game, and 3DS has too much of it!

(It's pretty sad that Wii U is selling less than the Wii though...)

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
kitler53 said:

based on what i heard hyped up prior to yesterday's NPD..

wonderful 101

pikmin 3

lego city stories

rayman legends

wii fit

eventual obvious nintendo titles like SSB, mario kart, whathaveyou.

Many are happy with these games coming (me included, I love Pikmin and Lego City and W101 are looking good), but I didn't heard they should move hardware. Some said that Lego COULD maybe create a short-term spike. Mario Kart isn't announced, Smash Bros will take more than a year. So the chalk board looks pretty empty. We don't know of anything that may save the WiiU.

it will of course depend on who you talk to.   there has been chatter that some of these will do great things  i, like you, have my doubts.  wii fit is the wild card, imo.  obviously it is a 20 or 40M seller depending on how you want to could the original and wii fit plus so there is potential.  but nintendogs didn't exactly do great on the 3DS so who knows if that wii fit's past success translates over to the wiiU.

my opinion is wiiU is in for a world of hurt until next holiday when nintendo's next big title is probably already scheduled for release.

platformmaster918 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
platformmaster918 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
PS3 is doing swell, and i hope it stays that way lol. everything else back to normal.

so sony prepared for Jan. i see. Jan. just may be Sony's.

the first half of the year is Sony's.  They already have 6 big exclusives coming out in LoU, GoW, Sly, Beyond, Ni No Kuni, and Puppeteer (some bigger than others obviously).  If they drop price or bring the 12gb one to the US then things will really skyrocket.  Remember no price drop last year and $199 is a BIG price drop for any conole that PS3 hasn't reached yet (I'm assuming they can afford it with the cheaper remodel).

i know, i was trying to be obvious, and it looks like i was lol.

i thought they had a PS3 for $179. yea i hope PS3 gets a price drop. i think the move(again you could be right) was to make profit before droping price.

i think all those exclusives will perform well. from 500k, and up. but ye, to keep momentum, a price drop would definitely do that.

Heavy Rain did over 2 million and with a good reputation (everyone I recommended it to loved it) and some advertising (never saw one ad for Heavy Rain tisk tisk yet again Sony marketing) Beyond could do 3 million with Ellen Page attached.  Last of Us could do 3-5 million with ND and judging by preorders (plus it will stand out as unique and hopefully be bundled come holidays).  GoW is GoW and has multiplayer plus GoW 3 is undertracked so 4-5 million.  Puppeteer I have no idea (unknown dev, new IP, don't know launch window although I suspect first half).  Sly is doing good preorders and I think it could do Sly 2 numbers (<2 million).  Ni No Kuni I suspect to be big in Japan especially but I don't follow JRPGs so I have no idea what to expect.  

They should drop PS3 price at E3 once all these games have given them their hardware boosts and they fully reveal PS4.  This would be the perfect time and then holiday bundles can have old games and PS+ for $150 or a new game (LoU, PSAllstars, GoW: Ascension, or a new third party game that fall) for $200.  Remember they had no big exclusives (Starhawk, Twisted Metal, and LBP Karting weren't advertised at all and recieved very little support) aside from MAYBE Allstars this year which flopped.  Couple that with no price drop and it's easy to see why PS3 went down so much.  They could easily get 10m next year with these things.  I mean there was really NO incentive to get PS3 this year if you hadn't already.  $199 is a huge deal just like $299 and every other $100 drop ($50 ones not so much) so it could see a huge jump from that compared to the $250 one 2 years ago.

yea i never saw a HR advert. either. Ni No Kuni has already released in JP

i think the Puppeteer wil reach 500k in it's first 2 wks and hit 1.5m at some point word of mouth final sales about 1.5 to 3.5m. 

LBPK was advertised, but not to my liking. Sony killed any chances Starhawk had at being a hit, 1m+. remeber flopped is subjective opinion. look at Sony All stars for Vita/PS3 and starhawk is.well you'll see  http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/game_comparison.php?reg=Global&ending=Cumulative&game%5B%5D=PlayStation+All-Stars+Battle+Royale+%28PS3%29+%5B70744%5D&game%5B%5D=PlayStation+All-Stars+Battle+Royale+%28PSV%29+%5B70745%5D&game%5B%5D=StarHawk+%28PS3%29+%5B43923%5D&game%5B%5D=Starhawk+%28PS3%29+%5B70736%5D

yea, i was worried about PS3 having nothing exclusive to boost sales, but although down by 1.8m ww from 2011 the end result is clear, and we know what would have happened, if Sony had a big rlease last yr. 

$199 price point would be perfect, but i could have sworn PS3 had a enrty level price of $179, but i think that should be Sony's target price. i think Sony can sell 11-13m this yr., depending on their approach, but i wouldn't bet on it.

lets face it, Sony hasn't done everything they could have to make PS3 a success this gen., but they did enough to make a very strong comeback proving the PS brand, wasn't hurt that much.

ethomaz said:

kowenicki said:

The opposite.

But you would say that because your annual lifetime predictions is looking ridiculous.  Your 10 week ones..... Good grief?

I'm pretty sure PS3 is under in Europe.

under suspicion of overtracking? *scnr*

kitler53 said:

it will of course depend on who you talk to.   there has been chatter that some of these will do great things  i, like you, have my doubts.  wii fit is the wild card, imo.  obviously it is a 20 or 40M seller depending on how you want to could the original and wii fit plus so there is potential.  but nintendogs didn't exactly do great on the 3DS so who knows if that wii fit's past success translates over to the wiiU.

my opinion is wiiU is in for a world of hurt until next holiday when nintendo's next big title is probably already scheduled for release.

Agreed. WiiFitU might not be as big as on Wii, look at Just Dance, the casuals didn't followed to WiiU yet. I think Nintendo made a big mistake, by not putting a Wiimote in at least one SKU. And I agree, that Nintendo has probably something lined up for the holidays, as it is most likely that PS4 and 720 will start at this time.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
fedfed said:
just a quick reminder

5th January 2013 first week after Xmas for WiiU release year = 135k sold for a total of 2,4 mil
6th January 2007 first week after Xmas from PS3 release date = 136k sold for a total of 1,4mil
7th January 2006 first week after Xmas after the XBox360 release = 117k sold and 1,3 mil in total

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/39089/Global/
http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/38725/Global/

Was that flop? Did Sony or MS do something quick and massive to change that?

Plus a minor difference: Nintendo has the 3DS in beast mode and Wii and DS keep bringing profit in... not everything feels doomed from Nintendo to me... any comment???

I am happy to have a Wii U selling on pair of XB360 and PS3!

not saying nothing against nintendo... and the numbers are not bad...

yet... differences to keep in mind...
Xbox 360 was first HD console (in a yet SD era) against the PS2 (only the major player ever in console history)

PS3 number is only JP and NA (no europe yet)... Wii U number is WW... PS3 600$ against a 400$ XB and a 150$ PS2, and Wii that made a great launch in the same period... Wii U a 350$ against 250$ PS3 and 200$ XB360 and a already "dead" wii, the difference in price and the competition is in favor of  Wii U...

the numbers just show that demand is not great now... nintendo have to do something if they want those 5M by 31 of march.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

freebs2 said:
Now they have to show something really amazing at e3 or I see this going to fall behind the Gamecube.

Hahahaha, no. Nothing will ever be as big of a bomb that the GC was. (It's sad that the GC did bomb though.)

walsufnir said:
ethomaz said:

kowenicki said:

The opposite.

But you would say that because your annual lifetime predictions is looking ridiculous.  Your 10 week ones..... Good grief?

I'm pretty sure PS3 is under in Europe.

under suspicion of overtracking? *scnr*

here in EU the PS3 12Gb is 199€ and selling good.
in spain, a PS3 country from what i know, only exchange Xmas gifts on 6 of January, so, great numbers by PS3 this time of the year is normal, lower than last year because Spain is in a financial/social crisis (lots of unemployment)

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

NintendoPie said:
freebs2 said:
Now they have to show something really amazing at e3 or I see this going to fall behind the Gamecube.

Hahahaha, no. Nothing will ever be as big of a bomb that the GC was. (It's sad that the GC did bomb though.)

Never heard of Bandais Wonderswan? The Virtualboy? Apple Pippin? N-Gage? And a lot more.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Euphoria14 said:
Train wreck said:

Seems we have to bring back the chalkboard for the wii U.  Have to house these Wii U excuses somewhere:

Ethomaz was pretty much warned by Khan last night because he posted a WiiU related .gif from GAF, claiming it was unnecessary and not to do it again.

Sadly I expect the same to happen with this.

There should definitely be a place for humour here, within reason. This is within those limits.