By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U didn't meet our expectations. Is it a flop?

Is the Wii U a flop?

Yes 64 19.45%

No, it's a MAJOR flop. 50 15.20%

other 214 65.05%

Total:328

Hmmm.... We are still in the worst economic recession since the Great Depression. Europe is hanging by a thread. U.S. may be going through another recession period since the fiscal cliff has yet to be resolved. Yet, the Wii U still managed to outsell the HD twins during times of economic prosperity.... Indeed a flop.

Around the Network

Well it's official, Wii U is not a flop.

According to your poll, the VGC community has voted in favor of Wii U not being a flop, nor a major flop.

Gaming Away Life Since 1985

JayWood2010 said:
Euphoria14 said:
Wow, where were all these people for the PSASBR flop thread Rol made? Sony said it was selling to expectations and nobod cared since the VGC community expected more.

I believe that thread was made well before sony stated that, and I'm pretty sure he made that thread because of the ridiculous predictions by a few posters.  On top of that it wasn't a well recieved game.

I would need to check but I am sure Sony stated that before the thread was made, just like how people would shit on Ass Creed Liberation sales (claiming it sold well due to bundles) even though Ubisoft said they were "happy" with the sales.

Also, a score In the mid to high 70s isn't bad. Especially since many reviews gave low scores because they spent 50% of the review bitching about how it wasn' Smash Bros.

Either way, WiiU sales are fine right now, even if Eu sales could use a pick me up.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:

It was also predicted by some that the WiiU would hurt PS360 sales and beat them both during the holiday season.

I think we need to talk about this.

Don't forget the sold out for months comments.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Anyway if this helps you feel better by all means enjoy yourselves! Post me when WII U really is a flop! One million off and its a flop! Just Woooow!

Around the Network

Btw this was posted just now by Joh Harker at Gaf

"sales are below expectations :("

He is one of the members who give data/info about hardware/software sales. iirc from NPD info

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

pezus said:
Mnementh said:

I don't know why price and supply-constraints are important. The console sells what it sells. Surely, price influences the demand, but the same does advertisement and games. Should we say, that PS2-launch-numbers aren't comparable, because the system had good games, was cheap and had good advertisement? Nobody forced Sony to price the PS3 at 600 €/$, they could have reduced the specs and release to a lower price-point.

The later release on the other hand is a point, but considering that:

WiiU, Japan, first 4 weeks: 644,474

WiiU, Europe, first 4 weeks: 415,426

WiiU, USA, first 4 weeks: 849,068

Sum:  1,908,968

PS3, Japan, first 4 weeks: 197,567

PS3, Europe, first 4 weeks: 743,910

PS3, USA, first 4 weeks:  378,603

Sum:  1,320,080

So, the WiiU launched better than PS3 even if you take into account the later launch.

And stop the crap, that this comparison is not working because of the price, otherwise I start to praise 3DO-launch.

Hang on, why is WiiU launch being compared to PS3 launch and not its predecessor, Wii? It's the same as comparing PS3 launch with GameCube/Xbox launches, and not the PS2 launch. PS3 was called a failure because it sold a lot less than PS2. WiiU will be called the same if it sells a lot less than Wii.

You cutted out the quote I made. The guy I quoted was saying that the comparison isn't holding because of price of the PS3 and the supply-constraints of the Wii (and both for X360). Also he said, that PS3 launched later in europe. While I don't think the crap about price and supply-constraints are important (both the fault of the device-maker and part of the planning of a launch), I agreed on the importance of the later launch of the PS3 in europe. Therefore I only took the data for PS3 in comparison, to show that even if you take the later launch into account, the WiiU outsold the PS3. In my earlier thread I included also the XBOX360 and the Wii, look there for more comparisons: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=151739&page=1

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

M.U.G.E.N said:

He is one of the members who give data/info about hardware/software sales. iirc from NPD info

I'm still wondering what is "below expectations"...Overall? Compare to the Wii? Compare to the HD consoles? Either way the real opinion that matters is the Nintendo one, which we will know in March.

Nintendo and PC gamer

forgot thats a bad word! Not really knowing all this! I like how the poll says yes and no its a major flop. Crazy stuff Not giving an answer of not a flop but instead other.

osed125 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

I'm still wondering what is "below expectations"...Overall? Compare to the Wii? Compare to the HD consoles? Either way the real opinion that matters is the Nintendo one, which we will know in March.

Don't think he is allowed to give us any clear answers. But he is a well trusted source of info. Guessing the next few NPDs will be very telling.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!