By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U didn't meet our expectations. Is it a flop?

Is the Wii U a flop?

Yes 64 19.45%

No, it's a MAJOR flop. 50 15.20%

other 214 65.05%

Total:328
Metallicube said:

So the Wii U is a flop because it failed to meet the expectations of a few dozen people on a gaming message forum? Seems like sound logic to me..

What if it doesn't meet Nintendo's own expectations by Q2 2013?

XBL Gamertag: ckmlb, PSN ID: ckmlb

Around the Network

Source thread is useless since at the end of 2011 nobody knew when the Wii U would launch and many people expected the Wii U to be out of the gates by November in ALL REGIONS.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

JayWood2010 said:
We won't know until the end of the fiscal year if it is below expectation which is 5.5m stated by nintendo.

Somebody gets it!  This thread should be about how clueless people are at predicting hardware sales.  No offense but anyone expecting a number higher than 3.5M is simply delusional.  If I make a complete nonsensical prediction like the Wii U will sell 2M in Jan 2013 should we should call it a flop or major flop if it sells 800k?

If Wii U doesn't SHIP 4.5M by April fools day, start the flop thread.  At the same time the launch only would be a flop not the system that early...cough..3DS...cough...PS3.

It's outsold both the PS3 and 360 during their launches and sold around 80% of the Wii sales during its launch. Not a flop by any stretch of the imagination.

Chandler said:
Source thread is useless since at the end of 2011 nobody knew when the Wii U would launch and many people expected the Wii U to be out of the gates by November in ALL REGIONS.

Strange that people would think that considering Nintendo's strategy with the Wii. In fact, the Wii U released earlier in every region except Japan. So if people predicted with consideration that Nintendo would use a similar strategy as the Wii, the Wii U would actually have a small advantage.

Around the Network

It's way premature to call it a flop. As far as we know, it's selling quite well. Not nearly as well as the original Wii, but I doubt any console will sell like that again.

Flash_Gordon said:
JayWood2010 said:
We won't know until the end of the fiscal year if it is below expectation which is 5.5m stated by nintendo.

Somebody gets it!  This thread should be about how clueless people are at predicting hardware sales.  No offense but anyone expecting a number higher than 3.5M is simply delusional.  If I make a complete nonsensical prediction like the Wii U will sell 2M in Jan 2013 should we should call it a flop or major flop if it sells 800k?

If Wii U doesn't SHIP 4.5M by April fools day, start the flop thread.  At the same time the launch only would be a flop not the system that early...cough..3DS...cough...PS3.

Yeah pretty much.  This is a pointless thread that I'm sure will generate attention

snowdog said:

It's outsold both the PS3 and 360 during their launches and sold around 80% of the Wii sales during its launch. Not a flop by any stretch of the imagination.

PS3 was 600 dollars at launch, Xbox 360 (400$) and Wii were both supply constrainted at launch. The Wii U is 350 dollars and abundent in supply. 

Edit: PS3 also didn't release in Europe till March 2007 (4 months after the NA launch).

XBL Gamertag: ckmlb, PSN ID: ckmlb

Well, I know it is a joke-thread, but the question is pretty good: How to define a flop? Sales in comparison with expectations? Sales in comparison with competition?Sales must be lower than X? Shrinking sales compared to predecessor? It's pretty hard. I think the expectations are not totally from the table, but it should be combined with other criteria. Also some expectations (manufacturer) are more important than others (forum-posters).

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Far too early to call it a flop.