By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U didn't meet our expectations. Is it a flop?

Is the Wii U a flop?

Yes 64 19.45%

No, it's a MAJOR flop. 50 15.20%

other 214 65.05%

Total:328

I'm not sure what this means but two days before Christmas every single Walmart, Kmart and Gamestop I went to had plenty of Wii U's in shelves. I was a bit shocked to say the least.

Around the Network
MDMAlliance said:
Wii U is not a flop/major flop. It may not have sold out, but at the same time it also had a really high supply. It's also not fair at all to talk about a system being a flop or not when it hasn't even reached it's halfway mark in its life. This, of course, will also apply to the Vita. We don't know what will happen, so maybe the Vita wont end up being a flop.

While that all makes sense, you must know that I'm using a different definition of flop.

flop - [noun] - a product that performs considerably below the general expectations of the community.

It is a MAJOR flop, we need to talk about it...

Nintendo and PC gamer

well the launch of the system was pretty great but then sales just dropped off quickly. if these numbers are correct the WiiU might have a hard time coming its way. its the only system to be down weekly in the weeks coming to christmas. also its been being outsold by PS360 by a margin of almost 2:1 in the past 2 weeks.

looking at this weeks data the PS3 outsold the WiiU by about 2:1 in Usa and the 360 sold about 2.5 times more in USA

in japan its selling pretty good but in europe its sales are miserable, lets be honest about that. The Vita has outsold the WiiU in europe for the past 2 weeks and in this week the 360 outsold the WiiU by almost 4:1 and the PS3 outsold it by over 5:1

its to be expected that the HD twins outsell the WiiU but lately the margin has been pretty big, even the Wii outsold it by every territory expect for japan this week. as i said the first couple of weeks launch numbers in Japan and USA were pretty great, not so much in europe. this isnt a problem of supply chain its a problem of keeping up momentum. it can hardly be called a flop, even its EU numbers. but if it continues this trend then it might have a tough time ahead of it.

We won't know until the end of the fiscal year if it is below expectation which is 5.5m stated by nintendo.

Around the Network

Too early for a flop, but I don't expect it to ever reach the numbers the Wii did. Also, it's the first Nintendo console that loses money per sale supposedly and the gamepad is nowhere near as easy to understand for non-gamers as the wii-mote was.

XBL Gamertag: ckmlb, PSN ID: ckmlb

pezus said:
Euphoria14 said:
pezus said:

Beginning of 2012 I think. Still, I think pretty much everyone expected a Nov/Dec release at that point (based on past trends and the little info from Nintendo) so us not knowing the release date wouldn't be a factor. 

Edit: What a nice sig you have, Jay.

It was also predicted by some that the WiiU would hurt PS360 sales and beat them both during the holiday season.

I think we need to talk about this.

Yes, I remember DaRev even making a bet with me about that. Unfortunately he spelled 2013 as '2012' when the bet was made >_>. I was led astray by the hype, and genuinely thought WiiU would beat PS3 during the holiday season.

So you're part of the flop?

Now we definitely need to talk about this 

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

So the Wii U is a flop because it failed to meet the expectations of a few dozen people on a gaming message forum? Seems like sound logic to me..

There's also this article today: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/analyst-gamestop-s-wii-u-sales-were-below-expectations/0108850

XBL Gamertag: ckmlb, PSN ID: ckmlb

Maybe if it sells only 3.91 million in its first year it would be a flop.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.