By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Article: The Anomoly that is Gran Turismo vs Forza Motorsport

Michael-5 said:

Is it right to include GT5: Prologue? Forza Horizon still feels like Forza, and although affects like going off road, or sideswiping other cars have no negative effect on the game, has this ever stopped GT5 from being a Sim? Forza Horizon is still Forza, and it's still a sim.

Horizon takes more of an arcadey spin on things, like GT PSP.

If Horizon is still classed as a racing sim, then so is GT PSP.

The only reason GT PSP shouldnt be counted, is if you want to limit it to home-consoles to get the 4 vs 2 advantage. GTPSP is still a GT game released this gen, just as Horizon is still a Forza game this gen.

Gran Turismo. "The Real Driving Simulator".

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Michael-5 said:

Is it right to include GT5: Prologue? Forza Horizon still feels like Forza, and although affects like going off road, or sideswiping other cars have no negative effect on the game, has this ever stopped GT5 from being a Sim? Forza Horizon is still Forza, and it's still a sim.

Horizon takes more of an arcadey spin on things, like GT PSP.

If Horizon is still classed as a racing sim, then so is GT PSP.

The only reason GT PSP shouldnt be counted, is if you want to limit it to home-consoles to get the 4 vs 2 advantage. GTPSP is still a GT game released this gen, just as Horizon is still a Forza game this gen.

Gran Turismo. "The Real Driving Simulator".

LOL okay, whatever, it's not like Forza Horizon is going to bring in many sales.

Also GT PSP is a good sim, it's actually a really fun game, it's like playing GT3/4, but with newer cars.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Well the actual numbers are without any guess of vgchartz for GT is:
http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

9.190 + 5.350 for GT5P. 2006 PS3 was released. 2008 GT5P and 2010 GT5. Total is 14.54 already.

Many people say that is basically 1 game. I can see them releasing another GT game with install base.

I do not think all Forza games put together  make that numbers. Vgcharts do guess work and the numbers are probably much higher than it should. They often do such things on many games to get reaction, traffic on the site. Some of their  guess, estimate are probably closer than actual numbers !?

At the rate Forza goes I think Forza 7 might release before GT7. But I am not sure that will make difference. GT is by a long shot pinnacle of racing sim on consoles. However they need to know what other game devs are doing. TBH they really do not care about other racing games and just do their own thing which can be frustrating for people waiting and waiting for GT game and that causes disappointment as well.

Forza gets good ratings and that probably helps it but otherwise is no where near GT.

Carl2291 said:
Michael-5 said:

I completly disagree. You can't compare shipped units on one medium, refusing VGC data, and then use VGC data for the other. If you're going to compare GT5 to Forza, you compare it based on sales. Forza 3, 4 and Horizon have shipped many onsold units too.

Also, I was refering to console games only. When people play GT/Forza as simulation racing games at their finest, I don't think they even put GT PSP on the same level. It's portable Gran Turismo, nothing more (well a great game imo).

Fair enough, opinions will vary on that matter all the time.

Going by VGChartz data, the 4 Forza console games have indeed currently outsold the 2 console Gran Turismo games... But, if youre talking the SIM games, is it right to include Forza Horizon?

If you like to go by vgchartz:

360 in 7 yrs with 4 Forza games. Including Forza Horizon because it is a Forza franchise on the 360:

5.26 + 3.99 + 3.28 +0.83 = 13.36

PS3 in 6yrs with 2 GT games on PS3:

8.43 + 4.12 = 12.55

As I said in my previous post Forza overtracked and GT undertracked.

Obviously everyone knows that GT5P has sold 5.350 million. With regions provided by PD site.Vgchartz numbers are more than 1 million less. I mean seriously vgchartz should have updated it GT5P is now petty old.

Many people think GT5 was failure and Forza has reached its peak now ?  I think they are  done with 360 for now.

So it depends how you look at it. May be GT5 alone should have gone past 12 million on its own if it had got good scores and no std vs premium controversy, some mistakes PD made, release date and making people wait more than they had like. Game sites attacked them for these 2 reasons. 

GT5 is destined to go past 10million. I reckon next GT game will release on PS3 or compatible online with PS4 or vita if possible and go past 10 million and get better scores. Let us wait and see. I do not see anymore Forza games on 360. They might do ok with 720 releasing first. But PS4 version will overshadow it again. Like how GT5P did to Forza 3 running over 720P and still managing to have 16 detailed cars on track computer to low detail 8 cars for Forza3.

exclusive_console said:
Carl2291 said:
Michael-5 said:

I completly disagree. You can't compare shipped units on one medium, refusing VGC data, and then use VGC data for the other. If you're going to compare GT5 to Forza, you compare it based on sales. Forza 3, 4 and Horizon have shipped many onsold units too.

Also, I was refering to console games only. When people play GT/Forza as simulation racing games at their finest, I don't think they even put GT PSP on the same level. It's portable Gran Turismo, nothing more (well a great game imo).

Fair enough, opinions will vary on that matter all the time.

Going by VGChartz data, the 4 Forza console games have indeed currently outsold the 2 console Gran Turismo games... But, if youre talking the SIM games, is it right to include Forza Horizon?

If you like to go by vgchartz:

360 in 7 yrs with 4 Forza games. Including Forza Horizon because it is a Forza franchise on the 360:

5.26 + 3.99 + 3.28 +0.83 = 13.36

PS3 in 6yrs with 2 GT games on PS3:

8.43 + 4.12 = 12.55

As I said in my previous post Forza overtracked and GT undertracked.

Obviously everyone knows that GT5P has sold 5.350 million. With regions provided by PD site.Vgchartz numbers are more than 1 million less. I mean seriously vgchartz should have updated it GT5P is now petty old.

Many people think GT5 was failure and Forza has reached its peak now ?  I think they are  done with 360 for now.

So it depends how you look at it. May be GT5 alone should have gone past 12 million on its own if it had got good scores and no std vs premium controversy, some mistakes PD made, release date and making people wait more than they had like. Game sites attacked them for these 2 reasons. 

GT5 is destined to go past 10million. I reckon next GT game will release on PS3 or compatible online with PS4 or vita if possible and go past 10 million and get better scores. Let us wait and see. I do not see anymore Forza games on 360. They might do ok with 720 releasing first. But PS4 version will overshadow it again. Like how GT5P did to Forza 3 running over 720P and still managing to have 16 detailed cars on track computer to low detail 8 cars for Forza3.

I'm sure you never played Forza 3 it does not have low detailed cars I guess you have the cars in Forza 3 confused with the standard cars in GT5.  On top of that every car has a detailed interior view which is missing on almost all standard cars in GT5 and the few standard cars that have a detailed interior view all have gauges that don't work.

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:

Also of those 39 DLC cars aren't over ten of them just 2011 versions of 2010 NASCAR cars which are pretty much almost exactly indentical cars with different paint jobs.  So in over two years you really only had about 29 new cars added.  Also they pretty much half assed the NASCAR cars since they forgot Dodge models.

• V12 Vantage '10
  • Corvette (C7) Test Prototype '12
  • Challenger SRT8 Touring Car
  • Gran Turismo Racing Kart Jr.
  • Gran Turismo Racing Kart 100
  • Gran Turismo Racing Kart 125
  • Red Bull X2010 5G '12
  • Red Bull X2011 Prototype '11
  • CR-Z Touring Car
  • HSV-010 Weider (Super GT) '11
  • XJR-9 Le Mans '88
  • Aventador LP700/4 '11
  • Roadster Touring Car
  • RX-7 Touring Car
  • Cooper S '11
  • Cooper S Countryman '11
  • Lancer Evolution X Touring Car
  • 370Z (GT Academy) '08
  • 370Z Tuned Car (GT Academy) '08
  • GT-R Black Edition '12
  • GT-R Black Edition (GT Academy) '12
  • GT-R Black Edition Tuned Car (GT Academy) '12
  • GT-R Touring Car
  • GT-R N24 Schulze Motor Sport '11
  • GT-R N24 GT Academy '12
  • Leaf G '11
  • Leaf G (GT Academy) '11
  • Silvia Spec-R Aero (S15) (GT Academy) '02
  • Skyline GT-R V-Spec II (R32) (GT Academy) '94
  • Skyline GT-R V-Spec II Nür (R34) (GT Academy) '02
  • Skyline GT-R (R32) Touring Car
  • Skyline GT-R (R33) Touring Car
  • Skyline GT-R (R34) Touring Car
  • FR-S '12
  • BRZ S '12
  • Impreza Touring Car
  • Prius Touring Car
  • Beetle 1200 '66
  • Golf VI R '10
  • Scirocco R '10

I'm not sure but I think no car in this list are a NASCAR... in fact there is no NARCAR DLC for GT5... the 2011 NASCAR cars (11 cars) came with the Spec 2.0 patch/update and not via DLC.

I said 39 cars came via DLC but GT5 received a lot more cars via patch/updates... GT5 when released had 1,039 cars... today it had 1,140 cars... so in two year GT5 received 101 cars (there is 4 cars not confirmed yet).

o_O.Q said:

you're sure they'll be a spec 3.0?

has it been mentioned by pd at all?

i'd really like to see what they'd add

I'm not sure but there is evedences PD is working in some more surprises: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=151355

Chris Hu said:

As far as having a ballanced lineup of cars Forza is miles ahead of GT and starting with FM3 it also has a better variety of cars.  GT5 lineup of cars is pretty dated since about half the cars in the game first appeared in GT2.  Also whats the use of having 1000+ cars if you can just use the Red Bull Racing car to win over half of the races in the game.

That's a bit ironic.

You can't use the Rede Bull until the Endurance races (9 of 100 events in A-Spec) and it's impossible to use it in the Seasonal Events... there are a lot of chanllenge in GT5 A-Spec somes are almost impossible to win (the licences too).

About Forza what I know you can buy any car in begnning and can use it to win all races... there are cash for all too.

Michael-5 said:

Did you played Forza Horizon? There is nothing about Forza into it... and no, it's not a sim (but I think you don't know what a sim racing game is).

ethomaz said:

Michael-5 said:

Did you played Forza Horizon? There is nothing about Forza into it... and no, it's not a sim (but I think you don't know what a sim racing game is).

Yea, don't start this again, everything that they did to Forza Horizon, to make it feel like an Arcade game, are exactly what hurt GT5 as a SIM. You can't say that sliding against walls, not being slowed down for going off road ruin the SIM experience of this game because GT5 is notorious for this. I have won countless races in GT5 just by pinballing myself off another opponent in a hairpin corner.

I own Forza Horizon, and a lot of aspects are altered to give the game more of an arcade feel, but the core gameplay still feels right, cars handle like they should. The Viper is a demon in a straight live, but understeers in corners, where a BMW M3 sticks so damn well. Compared to any Free Roaming racer, this game is like asim.

I know it's not the same as Forza Motorsport or Gran Turismo, but it still feels right, Forza Horizon is nothing at all like NFS: Most Wanted or Test Drive Unlimited, and really not that far off from GT and Forza Motorsport.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results