By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - German Law to Blame For 18+ Rated Wii U Content Block In Europe

freebs2 said:

Basing on my very basic jusiprudence knowledge a possible explaination could be that th current German law became effective after the Wiiware service was introduced and it's not retroactive.

In other words it may be only appliable to products and services released after the law introduction.

WiiWare had no Gameplay-videos. A time-restriction points to freely available media (broadcast) and not to selling anything, because for selling stuff is no time-restriction in germany.

Also I don't know, if there was even an USK-18-title in WiiWare.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

Post-Ident can be used to verify an entry made online and AFTER that you could buy online without further identification. I think there was a discussion about Post-ident used for DE-Mail: http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/De-Mail-verklagt-E-Post-1151657.html

dont you use it to buy online for physical copies?

but which companies/websites uses postident to sell their digital copies to their users for age verification ?
steam, origin and xboxlive dont have an age verification at all somehow ...

Lusche said:
Mnementh said:

Post-Ident can be used to verify an entry made online and AFTER that you could buy online without further identification. I think there was a discussion about Post-ident used for DE-Mail: http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/De-Mail-verklagt-E-Post-1151657.html

dont you use it to buy online for physical copies?

but which companies/websites uses postident to sell their digital copies to their users for age verification ?
steam, origin and xboxlive dont have an age verification at all somehow ...

Yes, you clearly can buy physical copies with post-ident. But it can be used for verification of online-accounts. But I don't know if someone uses that besides De-Mail and E-Postbrief.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I just realised Nintendo sent an info regarding the topic in eShop. Not sure if anybody has mentioned this before but I think it's quite an interesting read:

"Da sich die Vorschriften zu Altersbeschränkungen in verschiedenen europäischen Ländern leicht unterscheiden und sich der Firmensitz von Nintendo of Europe in Deutschland befindet, erfüllt der Nintendo eShop die Auflagen der deutschen Jugendschutzbestimmungen, die somit für all unsere europäischen Märkte Anwendung finden."

Now this is quite interesting. I will try to translate it:

"As regulations regarding age registrictions differ slightly (ha, good one Nintendo!) among different european countries and Nintendo of Europe is located in Germany, Nintendo eShop is complying with requirements of German youth protection regulations, which thereby apply to all of our European markets."

Now I might not have translated everything 100% perfect but even in German this doesn't seem quite right... Age restrictions differ "slightly" in Europe? I don't think so... This sounds to me as if Nintendo went the safe route by complying with Europes strictes law to avoid having to deal with a few national differences...

Es freuht mich zu sehen das vgchartz so viele leute aus Deutschland habt. Es tut mir leit das ich kein 'ringel-s' hab. Und ich habe ein bischen zu viel Paulaner getrunken. Tut mir auch leit.
Gute nacht.

Around the Network
Sommernacht said:

I just realised Nintendo sent an info regarding the topic in eShop. Not sure if anybody has mentioned this before but I think it's quite an interesting read:

"Da sich die Vorschriften zu Altersbeschränkungen in verschiedenen europäischen Ländern leicht unterscheiden und sich der Firmensitz von Nintendo of Europe in Deutschland befindet, erfüllt der Nintendo eShop die Auflagen der deutschen Jugendschutzbestimmungen, die somit für all unsere europäischen Märkte Anwendung finden."

Now this is quite interesting. I will try to translate it:

"As regulations regarding age registrictions differ slightly (ha, good one Nintendo!) among different european countries and Nintendo of Europe is located in Germany, Nintendo eShop is complying with requirements of German youth protection regulations, which thereby apply to all of our European markets."

Now I might not have translated everything 100% perfect but even in German this doesn't seem quite right... Age restrictions differ "slightly" in Europe? I don't think so... This sounds to me as if Nintendo went the safe route by complying with Europes strictes law to avoid having to deal with a few national differences...

Which means that Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge will be censored on the eShop in all European countries.

NoE has stated they are indeed pursuing a means to bypass the time limit restriction.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

These are the type of stupid business decisions that make me laugh lol. Really, germany? So they didn't know about this law before lol... OFCOARSE they knew about the law.

Nintendo just discovered this maigcal thing they call the "internets." Now you have to pay the price. Notice how Sony and Microsoft don't have this problem lol.

But...but..but....