By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - German Law to Blame For 18+ Rated Wii U Content Block In Europe

Lusche said:
Viper1 said:

XboxLive and Steam get past it the same way that PS+ does...a wallet system that verifies age.  That might be how origin gets past it now as well and probably how Nintendo can get past it.

Point is, at some point, EA Origin and PSN were just as affected by this problem as Nintendo is.  In fact, Sony completely removed all 18 rated games form the store rather than implement a time period.

ehm no ? no age verification and ps+ style wallet to verify age in germany for either origin, steam and xboxlive for usk18 games ...
as long as you pay they dont care ... bought many usk18 games on those platforms and they do not have an age verification in any way.

I'm only relaying what I'm being told by my friends in Germany.  I'm told you have to have PS+ or that PS+ is rated 18 itself so once you've purchased it, it's some kind of proof of age.  You can't buy rated 18 from the basic PSN store.

Origin most certainly locked out sales of rated 18 games to the same time period as Nintendo is.  I can show you dozens of links to people talking about that one.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:

I'm only relaying what I'm being told by my friends in Germany.  I'm told you have to have PS+ or that PS+ is rated 18 itself so once you've purchased it, it's some kind of proof of age.  You can't buy rated 18 from the basic PSN store.

Origin most certainly locked out sales of rated 18 games to the same time period as Nintendo is.  I can show you dozens of links to people talking about that one.

I also live in germany ...

and technicly no ps+ itself isnt rated 18 because you can get ps+ just with a credit card. while yes the psn cards which charges your account is usk18.
maybe thats why there is no usk18 content on the psn store.

origin:
http://store.origin.com/store/eade/de_DE/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.105641400

german store 6pm here, no problem buying an usk18 game ...

spurgeonryan said:
I blame Satan.

So then what about Sony and Microsoft and others? Do they do the same rules?

Like Viper said, Satan isn't headquartered in Germany, that's the problem. He's headquartered in Hell.

But he still might have restrictions for his German customers.

runqvist said:

Obviously you are capable of reading. I guess you are just being obtuse, but why not. The company located in germany has to abide with the german law, of course. The law in question is about protecting the german youth, who are residing in ... Germany. It limits the transactions for those people who happen to reside where the said law applies. Is it really so hard for you to understand?

I think what you are not understanding is that this law is not being applied to the buyers but the seller directly.  The law is not looking at who the end user is at all, only who the seller is.

Thera are 2 entites in a direct transaction.  A buyer and a seller.  While the intent of this law is to protect the buyer, it is applied to the seller.  So a kid in the UK is still buying from a German store that is subject to German law.

Say a German store sold hard alcohol online. German legal age is 18.  A 16 year old in Denmark (legal age there) would still not be allowed to purchase it because the German laws the store must abide by.

Viper1 said:

I think what you are not understanding is that this law is not being applied to the buyers but the seller directly.  The law is not looking at who the end user is at all, only who the seller is.

Thera are 2 entites in a direct transaction.  A buyer and a seller.  While the intent of this law is to protect the buyer, it is applied to the seller.  So a kid in the UK is still buying from a German store that is subject to German law.

Say a German store sold hard alcohol online. German legal age is 18.  A 16 year old in Denmark (legal age there) would still not be allowed to purchase it because the German laws the store must abide by.

while yes there is a law that you arent allowed to sell usk18 games to people under 18. (this is applied to retail stores with boxes)
idk why this is not used for digital sales here in germany, because you can get those usk18 games digitally without age verification anytime.
edit: maybe there is no law which forbids it

and no, there is no law which wont allow you to sell usk18 games digitally before 11pm

edit:
I think the companies are just careful, because they had trouble in the past which those kind of games and make their own law to protect them from the 'old german law' which doesnt exist anymore.

Around the Network
Lusche said:
Viper1 said:

while yes there is a law that you arent allowed to sell usk18 games to people under 18. (this is applied to retail stores with boxes)
idk why this is not used for digital sales here in germany, because you can get those usk18 games digitally without age verification anytime.
edit: maybe there is no law which forbids it

and no, there is no law which wont allow you to sell usk18 games digitally before 11pm

So Nintendo of Europe is stright up lying?

And how did EA Origin have the exact same time frame in their restirction initially?

Viper1 said:

So Nintendo of Europe is stright up lying?

And how did EA Origin have the exact same time frame in their restirction initially?

not lying maybe misinformed of the 'old' laws which dont exists anymore. or never existed for digital sales.

maybe also misinformed and now fixed because there is no such law.

The concentration on selling USK18-content misses the point. As Lusche said, there is no law in germany that restrict selling media to certain times. But there is a law, that demands a proper age-verification if you sell such content. Restricting times is NO proper age-verification and I suspect you have to do that to buy ZombiU via eShop (don't know, bought the game retail).
I really think the time-restriction is about the gameplay-videos available at eShop. For that the same rules as for TV-stations may apply. And it seems Nintendos shop-system can't block only the videos at certain times. Also I think Nintendo is overdoing it, but I'm no lawyer.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
The concentration on selling USK18-content misses the point. As Lusche said, there is no law in germany that restrict selling media to certain times. But there is a law, that demands a proper age-verification if you sell such content. Restricting times is NO proper age-verification and I suspect you have to do that to buy ZombiU via eShop (don't know, bought the game retail).
I really think the time-restriction is about the gameplay-videos available at eShop. For that the same rules as for TV-stations may apply. And it seems Nintendos shop-system can't block only the videos at certain times. Also I think Nintendo is overdoing it, but I'm no lawyer.

while this law exists for tv stations I do think this only applies to tv stations and not to trailers on a gaming console.
otherwise microsoft and steam would also have no trailers on their page/console in germany for that timeframe.

i think its a greyzone where the law might be unclear and nintendo just playing it safe to not get into trouble in the future if this changes.

Viper1 said:
runqvist said:

Obviously you are capable of reading. I guess you are just being obtuse, but why not. The company located in germany has to abide with the german law, of course. The law in question is about protecting the german youth, who are residing in ... Germany. It limits the transactions for those people who happen to reside where the said law applies. Is it really so hard for you to understand?

I'll ask you this again. How familiar are you with the european legislation?

I don't know how you define hard alcohol, but as far as I know the limit is 18 years in Denmark. I'd say that the german store can sell soft alcohol drinks which have 16 years age limit in Denmark to customers in Denmark if they want. But that is beside the point, those stores are allowed to sell the products for people over the legal limit any time, any day.  And you can even see their listings every hour?! Oh my god. That is unpossimble.

Also:

http://www.amazon.de/Ubisoft-ZombiU/dp/B0087Z90JM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355249143&sr=8-1

What, a store in germany is listing a 18+ product and it is not 23.00 yet? Another unpossimble!