By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will PS3 overtake 360 in sales?

When will PS3 overtake 360 in total sales?

Temp in 2013, Perm in 2014 227 42.67%

Permanently in 2014 (Won... 79 14.85%

Temp in 2013, and 2014, Perm in 2015 23 4.32%

Temp in 2014, Perm in 2015 29 5.45%

Permanently in 2015 (Won... 3 0.56%

Temp in 2014, and 2015, Perm in 2016 8 1.50%

Temp in 2015, Perm in 2016 3 0.56%

Some point after 2016, bu... 10 1.88%

It won't, sales for both... 27 5.08%

It won't, 360 will hold ... 122 22.93%

Total:531
Max King of the Wild said:
Michael-5 said:

shipped =/= sold, We're talking about sales, well at least I am. This is where you fail.

In 2010 MS just released the 360 Slim and has having shortages. Just because PS3 shipped as many units as 360, doesn't mean the demand was equal.

So, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, and so far 2012, 360 sales tend to be noticably higher in the fall. 2009 was the year of the PS3 Slim, and 2007 makred the first PS3 price cut.

No, of course sales doesn't equal sold. Not at all... Ps3 has millions of units on shelves and retailers keep taking more.

Anyway, the ridiculous part in your post is including 2006. Yeah, Wii U also beats next box and Ps4. Wii U always sells better than those two in 4th quarter. YUP! You heard it here folks. Also ps3 and 360 sold the same in 2010... as per shipments showed.

And you include 2012 yet VGC isn't supported by NPD or shipments.

PS3 ships to more retailers, especially those in Latin America and regions outside of North America and Europe. Heck, most retailers in Japan stopped stocking 360's. So duh, PS3 will ship more, and 360 ca still sell just as much, if not more, with less shipped. This is why PS3 sales tend to be strong outside of Q4 where 360's crash, just as the shipments do.

PS3 and 360 did not sell the same in 2010, look at VGC data, again shipped =/= sold.

2012 I said so far, for the point of demonstration, 360 is still selling more then PS3 for the holiday season, and NDP does back a stronger Black Friday (and probably November) in Americas.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
Michael-5 said:

shipped =/= sold, We're talking about sales, well at least I am. This is where you fail.

In 2010 MS just released the 360 Slim and has having shortages. Just because PS3 shipped as many units as 360, doesn't mean the demand was equal.

So, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, and so far 2012, 360 sales tend to be noticably higher in the fall. 2009 was the year of the PS3 Slim, and 2007 makred the first PS3 price cut.

No, of course sales doesn't equal sold. Not at all... Ps3 has millions of units on shelves and retailers keep taking more.

Anyway, the ridiculous part in your post is including 2006. Yeah, Wii U also beats next box and Ps4. Wii U always sells better than those two in 4th quarter. YUP! You heard it here folks. Also ps3 and 360 sold the same in 2010... as per shipments showed.

And you include 2012 yet VGC isn't supported by NPD or shipments.

PS3 ships to more retailers, especially those in Latin America and regions outside of North America and Europe. Heck, most retailers in Japan stopped stocking 360's. So duh, PS3 will ship more, and 360 ca still sell just as much, if not more, with less shipped. This is why PS3 sales tend to be strong outside of Q4 where 360's crash, just as the shipments do.

PS3 and 360 did not sell the same in 2010, look at VGC data, again shipped =/= sold.

2012 I said so far, for the point of demonstration, 360 is still selling more then PS3 for the holiday season, and NDP does back a stronger Black Friday (and probably November) in Americas.

Oh how clueless you are.

Michael-5 said:

Oh how clueless you are.

If shipped = sold to you, why are you on a VGC forum? I think the purpose of this website is to compare units sold, and clearly 2010 sold more 360 units during the holidays then PS3.

If you don't understand this, or don't understand how PS3 stocks systems to more retailers, in more regions (This is why PS2 is still selling over 2 million units annually...in Latin America and continental Asia), then you are just manipulating information to suit your needs.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:
platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:

Now that I have to disagree with. The gap is now at 2 million and will prob be 2.5 million by years end. PS3 cant make up a 2.5 million gap in one year. Probably in first half of 2014.

I hope you saw my edit.  A products ability to maintain the interest of consumers even after superior hardware is out should be counted.  If 360 can't keep selling because people lose interest or Microsoft can't support it with good enough games then they still lost.  You're just making fake parameters because you know Playstation consoles have the longest lifespans.

I did. PS2 was allready the winner, which was why it continued to sell well into the next gen. Also the competitors were nowhere near close in lifetime sales. PS3 is totally different then PS2 in those regards. Bad example.

Oh sales should be counted when next gen happens. Not denying that. Im saying "whos gonna care?", which is a very legit question.

If PS3 passes 360 in 2014 or 2015 when all 3 next gen consoles are out, people will just shrug in neutrality. They arent current anymore. Period. To me, 360 won when it was part of the current gen. Anything that happens after is hollow as again....people just wont care.

PS3 fans crack open the bubly and Xbox fans will cheer on the Xbox 3 beating PS4. The cycle begins a new and in the end you won nothing. Just inherited another generation of fighting for lost marketshare.

So I guess you're pretty sure Xbox 3 will beat PS4 then?  Considering they had every conceivable advantage this gen (a year head start +a couple months in Europe, no system sellers for PS3 in first 2 years, and most of all being 2/3 the price) and they're still going to end up 3rd I wouldn't be so confident.

Cute. Gen over gen Xbox improved and PS declined. I think the trend will only widen next gen.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:
platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:

Now that I have to disagree with. The gap is now at 2 million and will prob be 2.5 million by years end. PS3 cant make up a 2.5 million gap in one year. Probably in first half of 2014.

I hope you saw my edit.  A products ability to maintain the interest of consumers even after superior hardware is out should be counted.  If 360 can't keep selling because people lose interest or Microsoft can't support it with good enough games then they still lost.  You're just making fake parameters because you know Playstation consoles have the longest lifespans.

I did. PS2 was allready the winner, which was why it continued to sell well into the next gen. Also the competitors were nowhere near close in lifetime sales. PS3 is totally different then PS2 in those regards. Bad example.

Oh sales should be counted when next gen happens. Not denying that. Im saying "whos gonna care?", which is a very legit question.

If PS3 passes 360 in 2014 or 2015 when all 3 next gen consoles are out, people will just shrug in neutrality. They arent current anymore. Period. To me, 360 won when it was part of the current gen. Anything that happens after is hollow as again....people just wont care.

PS3 fans crack open the bubly and Xbox fans will cheer on the Xbox 3 beating PS4. The cycle begins a new and in the end you won nothing. Just inherited another generation of fighting for lost marketshare.

So I guess you're pretty sure Xbox 3 will beat PS4 then?  Considering they had every conceivable advantage this gen (a year head start +a couple months in Europe, no system sellers for PS3 in first 2 years, and most of all being 2/3 the price) and they're still going to end up 3rd I wouldn't be so confident.

Cute. Gen over gen Xbox improved and PS declined. I think the trend will only widen next gen.

you and your gen over gen.  So you really don't think any of those contributed, or do you just think everything will go the exact same?

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network
platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:
platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:
platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:

you and your gen over gen.  So you really don't think any of those contributed, or do you just think everything will go the exact same?

Honestly, it all boils down to if theres a head start. The rest simply falls into place.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Michael-5 said:
postofficebuddy said:
Michael-5 said:

The gap for 2012 up to Dec 1st data is 1.25 million. Do you actually think that gap will grow, giving PS3 a larger lead?

360 sells better in the holidays, the annual gap will likely finish around 700k-1.1 million in favor of PS3, which is larger then 2010 and 2011 combined.

The gap for the year is 1.35 ATM. The next 2 weeks aren't looking to be much of an advantage for 360 and PS3 always wins the last 1 or 2 weeks of the year because of sales remaining high in Japan and Europe for Boxing Day.

Actually, only the last week, single week tends to favor PS3 as post Christmas sales mark a crash in sales in Americas/Europe, but not Japan.

So it really depends on how much the 360 can increase that gap. In the past, the last week favoring PS3 typically offset the week prior that 360 was superior, assuming similar trends, the gap will finish at 1.35 million - whatever 360 can manage in the next 2 weeks (December 8th data only gives 360 a 44k unit boost, so the gap will be about 1.31 million).

You're not accounting for the fact that Boxing Day has fell on the last week of the year for the past 3 years. This year it's on Christmas week. Anyway, I feel this whole argument is superfluous anyway. We won't really know for sure until we get shipments, NPD and Nintendos charts in January or February (I don't recall when their quarterly report is).

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

sales2099 said:

I dunno about that. I'll agree that the NExtbox will likely do better then 360 in Japan, much like 360 did better then XB1, but in WW regions anything can happen.

Sony really tried to push Blu-Ray with the PS3 and it really hurt them, next gen Sony isn't pushing anything. Then again, one could argue because there is no new media type in the PS4, then maybe this will hurt sales. After all many of my early adopter PS3 and to an extent PS2 friends bought the system for Blu-Ray/DVD.

postofficebuddy said:
Michael-5 said:

Actually, only the last week, single week tends to favor PS3 as post Christmas sales mark a crash in sales in Americas/Europe, but not Japan.

So it really depends on how much the 360 can increase that gap. In the past, the last week favoring PS3 typically offset the week prior that 360 was superior, assuming similar trends, the gap will finish at 1.35 million - whatever 360 can manage in the next 2 weeks (December 8th data only gives 360 a 44k unit boost, so the gap will be about 1.31 million).

You're not accounting for the fact that Boxing Day has fell on the last week of the year for the past 3 years. This year it's on Christmas week. Anyway, I feel this whole argument is superfluous anyway. We won't really know for sure until we get shipments, NPD and Nintendos charts in January or February (I don't recall when their quarterly report is).

Don't 360 consoles get ridiculous price cuts on Boxing day? Wouldn't boxing day help MS out more then Sony? Last 2 years 360 Arcades were $130 on Boxing day, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were that price again.

We can agree on one thing. VGC has made a hell lot of adjustments this fall. So you're right, nothing is for sure for a while.

Also while 360 probably won't outsell PS3 by as many units as it did in 2010 and 2011, I still think it will outsell PS3 by some small margin.

Michael-5 said:
sales2099 said:

I dunno about that. I'll agree that the NExtbox will likely do better then 360 in Japan, much like 360 did better then XB1, but in WW regions anything can happen.

Sony really tried to push Blu-Ray with the PS3 and it really hurt them, next gen Sony isn't pushing anything. Then again, one could argue because there is no new media type in the PS4, then maybe this will hurt sales. After all many of my early adopter PS3 and to an extent PS2 friends bought the system for Blu-Ray/DVD.

The 360 did better because of Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, Last Remenant and a few other titles. Why the fuck would the next box get the same level of support from the Japanese next time around with the pathetic returns it provided them. On top of the that the next box will have immediate competition which I believe will snuff it out pretty fast