By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will PS3 overtake 360 in sales?

When will PS3 overtake 360 in total sales?

Temp in 2013, Perm in 2014 227 42.67%

Permanently in 2014 (Won... 79 14.85%

Temp in 2013, and 2014, Perm in 2015 23 4.32%

Temp in 2014, Perm in 2015 29 5.45%

Permanently in 2015 (Won... 3 0.56%

Temp in 2014, and 2015, Perm in 2016 8 1.50%

Temp in 2015, Perm in 2016 3 0.56%

Some point after 2016, bu... 10 1.88%

It won't, sales for both... 27 5.08%

It won't, 360 will hold ... 122 22.93%

Total:531
Max King of the Wild said:

Next gen will loose total console sales compared to this gen. Main reason is no one capturing the same market Wii did. 3rd party exclusives will be unheard of which will reduce the reason to own multiple consoles so more people will own one console compared to this gen.

Wii U will be the largest loser and 360 will have a hard time being relevant in Japan and have immediate competetion upon it's launch. I see MS being 3rd again.

I disagree, I think Wii U will capture leading sales in Japan, and be up there in Americas/Europe like it did in this gen. Nintendo is universally loved, unlike Microsoft which really only has a huge base of fans in former British Empire countries, and the USA.

I also think while we might see less 3rd party exclusives next gen, we'll still see a lot of "exclusively not on" games, and I think MS will be the most hurt by this. I can easily see several JRPG's releasing only on the WiiU/PS4, and at the same time I can see many shooters being developed exclusively not on WiiU.

This next gen could be very similar to the current one, or very different. IMO I think that MS got hurt extending the life of the 360 artificially. People can see now the repetative sequels of exclusives, and the value oriented with the PS3 (free online). People also respect Wii/WiiU more, so we might see more games like XenoBlade and The Last Story release on the WiiU then we did on the Wii. At the same time Nintendo can be hurt because the WiiU might not be that different from the Wii.

Anything can happen, after all, who would have predicted such a slow start for the Vita?

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Aura7541 said:
exclusive_console said:
Lafiel said:
platformmaster918 said:

So I guess you're pretty sure Xbox 3 will beat PS4 then?  Considering they had every conceivable advantage this gen (a year head start +a couple months in Europe, no system sellers for PS3 in first 2 years, and most of all being 2/3 the price) and they're still going to end up 3rd I wouldn't be so confident.

personally I see MS in a very very good spot - they are likely to take US+UK markets (which probably are the most profitable markets) this gen and carry that advantage into next gen as the majority of the users seem convinced of MS' approach

as by far most western devs are located in these countries and naturally will feel more inclined to work on the neXtbox, maybe using it as their go to main platform or even trying to produce exclusives (a big part of that decision is up to publishers though)

additionally MS established their live subscription service very well and can use it to further subsidize their console, meaning they might put out the stronger console (than Sony) for the same price or a similar speced mashine for a lower price as they are sure to get a lot of revenue/profits from live subscriptions

further enhanced is that advantage by the strong yen and relatively weak dollar/euro, which means Sony can't afford to invest that much into hardware if they want to sell their machine for a decent price in dollar/euro zones

overall I think MS is in a way stronger position than at the begin of the current gen, as their stronger market position and consumer accentance is more important than a 1 year headstart

They did well in the US because of FPS and rise of COD. In the UK they had advantage with the price of PS3 but since the slim it is pretty even between them.

All fifa, sports games, fighting games, racing games, action adventure games and other genre PS3 has the advantage except FPS.

360 gained on newer games with FPS only. Charging with online gameplay they tied the gamers who made friends and then it was too late for them to move to PS3, PC because of that and had to pay subscription fees to play online. So they celeverly trapped them but not sure those guys will continue next gen TBH.

They are in good position because only average gamer will go with 720 considering 360 support is been dying for years now.

The timed exclusive is the only thing I see going for 720. Everyone knows PS3 wide genre of games. PS4 will continue that.

Third party will probably be same for all. In fact Sony gets lots of extra like Ezio Trilogy. AC3 extra content and so on.

As far PS3 going past 360 it is just matter of time as I said before.

People forgetting the 360 failure rate. This year probably the first time ever 360 failure rate is only little higher other year it was 2 and 3 times more at least.

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox-failure-rates-are-reportedly-down-ps3-failure-rates-just-generation-comes-to-a-close/

PS3 is already gone past 360 actually. 360 failure rate was at one time 54%. I have seen on guy in forum says he has gone through 14 360 by now. Here is the video he has gone through more than 11.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueJonDaCLnk

The PS3 install base has been larger than the 360 install base since last March, at least according to Strategy Analytics. And this March, it showed the PS3 still had a larger install base than the 360's.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ps3-surpasses-xbox-360-worldwide-report/

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ps3-surpasses-xbox-360-worldwide-report/

Absolutely. I also saw this news some time back. If you look at the failure rate and do the math it is obvious that PS3 is already ahead. 360 are redundant.

There wouldn't be so many 360 sold and I wonder how many people got the arcade model too ? Upgrading HDD on 360 is not simple like PS3 as well.

It'll happen eventually because Sony won't pull the PS3 for at least 15yrs. Like I said, completely irrelevant. They won't surpass the XBox 360 until after the next XBox is launched. Most people won't care by that time.

'gaming till I'm gone'

^^

It even doesn't matter now or some 5 years ago to people. It only matter to Companies. I am sure PS3 will reach 120 million. It has so many years left in it and million yet to buy gaming console.

phenom08 said:
VGKing said:
I picked 2014. The Xbox 360 is going to have a tough year ahead. PS3 still has lots of AAA exclusives next year so that should give it lots of momentum.

The PS3 has those every year and still hasn't passed it.

Nah. This year it didn't have any AAA releases. Its weird though since this year the gap will be bigger than last year(in PS3s favor). That's due to XBox 360 seeing major declines though. Next year with God of War/The Last of Us/Beyond + all the multiplats I can see the PS3 FINALLY overtaking the 360.

Around the Network
XanderZane said:

It'll happen eventually because Sony won't pull the PS3 for at least 15yrs. Like I said, completely irrelevant. They won't surpass the XBox 360 until after the next XBox is launched. Most people won't care by that time.

People on this website wtill will, and crazy fanboys.

It doesn't matter if PS3 can't surpass the 360 before the next gen. People will notice it, say "Good for Sony" and then move onto the next gen. PS3 surpassing 360 is no more interesting then Wii potentially passing PS1.

MS did a great job this gen, sure it fell back to 3rd place, but it basically tied Sony for 3rd, and the gap from 2/3 to first is a shit load smaller then last gen (Could end up as little as 15 million, or 18%, last gen it was 125 million and 500%).

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results