By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will PS3 overtake 360 in sales?

When will PS3 overtake 360 in total sales?

Temp in 2013, Perm in 2014 227 42.67%

Permanently in 2014 (Won... 79 14.85%

Temp in 2013, and 2014, Perm in 2015 23 4.32%

Temp in 2014, Perm in 2015 29 5.45%

Permanently in 2015 (Won... 3 0.56%

Temp in 2014, and 2015, Perm in 2016 8 1.50%

Temp in 2015, Perm in 2016 3 0.56%

Some point after 2016, bu... 10 1.88%

It won't, sales for both... 27 5.08%

It won't, 360 will hold ... 122 22.93%

Total:531
Max King of the Wild said:
Michael-5 said:
sales2099 said:

Cute. Gen over gen Xbox improved and PS declined. I think the trend will only widen next gen.

I dunno about that. I'll agree that the NExtbox will likely do better then 360 in Japan, much like 360 did better then XB1, but in WW regions anything can happen.

Sony really tried to push Blu-Ray with the PS3 and it really hurt them, next gen Sony isn't pushing anything. Then again, one could argue because there is no new media type in the PS4, then maybe this will hurt sales. After all many of my early adopter PS3 and to an extent PS2 friends bought the system for Blu-Ray/DVD.

The 360 did better because of Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, Last Remenant and a few other titles. Why the fuck would the next box get the same level of support from the Japanese next time around with the pathetic returns it provided them. On top of the that the next box will have immediate competition which I believe will snuff it out pretty fast

Mistwalker is a small company and relies on strong publishing funds just to release the game. Without MS games like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey would never have been created, same idea with The Last Story on Wii and Bayonetta 2 on Wii U.

As for the Namco and SE exclusives on 360, it's likely MS will pay for some exclusivity next gen too.

Also it's not like XB1 was void of JRPG's. Panzer Dragoon Orta (Shooter), Otogi, and Jade Empire were amazing Japanese games exclusives.

Even then, Japan is a small niche market, and I don't think any NextBox sales will be strong there. What I'm suggesting is the Nextbox might sell 2.5 million lifetime in Japan instead of 1.5 million like 360 did and 0.5 million like XB1 did.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

i'm almost positive (not sure of PS360 out look sales wise) the gap will be below 1m 2013 end and gone in 2014.

sales2099 said:
platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:
platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:
platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:

Now that I have to disagree with. The gap is now at 2 million and will prob be 2.5 million by years end. PS3 cant make up a 2.5 million gap in one year. Probably in first half of 2014.

I hope you saw my edit.  A products ability to maintain the interest of consumers even after superior hardware is out should be counted.  If 360 can't keep selling because people lose interest or Microsoft can't support it with good enough games then they still lost.  You're just making fake parameters because you know Playstation consoles have the longest lifespans.

I did. PS2 was allready the winner, which was why it continued to sell well into the next gen. Also the competitors were nowhere near close in lifetime sales. PS3 is totally different then PS2 in those regards. Bad example.

Oh sales should be counted when next gen happens. Not denying that. Im saying "whos gonna care?", which is a very legit question.

If PS3 passes 360 in 2014 or 2015 when all 3 next gen consoles are out, people will just shrug in neutrality. They arent current anymore. Period. To me, 360 won when it was part of the current gen. Anything that happens after is hollow as again....people just wont care.

PS3 fans crack open the bubly and Xbox fans will cheer on the Xbox 3 beating PS4. The cycle begins a new and in the end you won nothing. Just inherited another generation of fighting for lost marketshare.

So I guess you're pretty sure Xbox 3 will beat PS4 then?  Considering they had every conceivable advantage this gen (a year head start +a couple months in Europe, no system sellers for PS3 in first 2 years, and most of all being 2/3 the price) and they're still going to end up 3rd I wouldn't be so confident.

Cute. Gen over gen Xbox improved and PS declined. I think the trend will only widen next gen.

you and your gen over gen.  So you really don't think any of those contributed, or do you just think everything will go the exact same?

Honestly, it all boils down to if theres a head start. The rest simply falls into place.

Those are very flawed speculations, sales. The "head start" trick is like a match. It'll work, but it'll only work once. Sony is more prepared for next gen. Unlike the PS3, the PS4 will be released with a very solid foundation of games. In fact, the PS4 will have no problem outselling the NextBox. If you look at the sales rates between the PS3 and the 360, the PS3 is the much faster selling console (and could've sold even faster if it had a foundation at launch).

When nobody would care.. honestly why the hell does it matter anymore?

Yay!!!

Aura7541 said:
sales2099 said:
platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:
platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:
platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:

Now that I have to disagree with. The gap is now at 2 million and will prob be 2.5 million by years end. PS3 cant make up a 2.5 million gap in one year. Probably in first half of 2014.

I hope you saw my edit.  A products ability to maintain the interest of consumers even after superior hardware is out should be counted.  If 360 can't keep selling because people lose interest or Microsoft can't support it with good enough games then they still lost.  You're just making fake parameters because you know Playstation consoles have the longest lifespans.

I did. PS2 was allready the winner, which was why it continued to sell well into the next gen. Also the competitors were nowhere near close in lifetime sales. PS3 is totally different then PS2 in those regards. Bad example.

Oh sales should be counted when next gen happens. Not denying that. Im saying "whos gonna care?", which is a very legit question.

If PS3 passes 360 in 2014 or 2015 when all 3 next gen consoles are out, people will just shrug in neutrality. They arent current anymore. Period. To me, 360 won when it was part of the current gen. Anything that happens after is hollow as again....people just wont care.

PS3 fans crack open the bubly and Xbox fans will cheer on the Xbox 3 beating PS4. The cycle begins a new and in the end you won nothing. Just inherited another generation of fighting for lost marketshare.

So I guess you're pretty sure Xbox 3 will beat PS4 then?  Considering they had every conceivable advantage this gen (a year head start +a couple months in Europe, no system sellers for PS3 in first 2 years, and most of all being 2/3 the price) and they're still going to end up 3rd I wouldn't be so confident.

you and your gen over gen.  So you really don't think any of those contributed, or do you just think everything will go the exact same?

Honestly, it all boils down to if theres a head start. The rest simply falls into place.

Those are very flawed speculations, sales. The "head start" trick is like a match. It'll work, but it'll only work once. Sony is more prepared for next gen. Unlike the PS3, the PS4 will be released with a very solid foundation of games. In fact, the PS4 will have no problem outselling the NextBox. If you look at the sales rates between the PS3 and the 360, the PS3 is the much faster selling console (and could've sold even faster if it had a foundation at launch).

considering Sony made pretty much every concievable error with PS3 in its first 2 years (50% more than competition, no games to support the platform, late, and being difficult to program for) I don't see how it even outsold Xbox.  The answer is either A) people just enjoy the games more B) the brandname is stronger or C) a combo of the 2.  If both launch at $400 in 2013 and Sony uses the rumored off the shelf parts then they will have absolutely no problem.  They of course are more prepared as a number of first party studios have been silent going on 2 years come this rumored launch window.  These errors they made are HUGE and would have killed any other platform.  Didn't 3DO launch at $600 an die in a year or something?  My point is they spotted MS an awful lot and had Wii to steal their thunder.  I think we'll see Sony back on top if WiiU doesn't take off especially if they fix their marketing and let people know that PS is less expensive if you plan on playing online and will only become more so the longer you own the system.  360 fans have spent $350 on Live if they bought 360 in 05.  That's the cost of a WiiU deluxe!  Advertise PS+ and advertise every great exclusive by actually showing what makes it great (no KB riding a horse) and they will be dominating next gen.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

Lol @ the Sony fanboys talking about the head start for the xbox 3. Even if we do get it, we don't need it this time. Xbox 1 was an introduction into the gaming world, the 360 was more about growth and gaining market share, which is why the year head start was a necessity. The 360 outsold the successor of the greatest selling home console in history ( to be fair, at least for the moment and the gen they were part of). We have the momentum, market share and brand awareness. Not to mention the juggernaut that is Microsoft behind the wheel. I'm not saying were going to win, that would be foolish, but as far as positioning, Microsoft are probably in the best position out of the 2 companies (Ninty has already started the next gen) to go into the next/this new generation.

With the low sales levels for consoles in general this year, even if the PS3 dominates through next year it will probably only outsell the 360 by 10-30k per week typically. Console sales will not suddenly skyrocket next year.

I see next year will be much the same as 2012... I expect the PS3 will gain ground but at the slow rate it gains, 360 will stay ahead. Then, MS will release a new console at the end of 2013 which will lower sales of 360 but, not enough to let PS3 by... In 2014 PS3 will take over assuming the PS4 is not released in 2013.

It is like winning the bonus leg after the end of the race. 1st place trophy awarded, 2nd place trophy awarded... But by the end of the bonus leg of the race, 3rd won 2nd overall... There was no trophy awarded, just a token mention that they moved up a position after no one cared.

ironmanDX said:
Lol @ the Sony fanboys talking about the head start for the xbox 3. Even if we do get it, we don't need it this time. Xbox 1 was an introduction into the gaming world, the 360 was more about growth and gaining market share, which is why the year head start was a necessity. The 360 outsold the successor of the greatest selling home console in history ( to be fair, at least for the moment and the gen they were part of). We have the momentum, market share and brand awareness. Not to mention the juggernaut that is Microsoft behind the wheel. I'm not saying were going to win, that would be foolish, but as far as positioning, Microsoft are probably in the best position out of the 2 companies (Ninty has already started the next gen) to go into the next/this new generation.

1st and formost, i am a Sony fan. secondly, i agree MS is in therfect position, i just hope MS doesn't focus to much on multimedia v games which is more important in the gaming industry.

MS won't have thesame 3rd party advantage in the 7th gen. in the 8th gen. it's like hitting the reset button. they have no advantage, but they do have great positionng.

talking about market share at this point is pointless. i may aswell say MS na Sony have the same market share, as there's not much of any marke share separating them.

Agreed, but not my point. My point was that Microsoft gained a lot and most of it was Sony's from the previous gen.

I was expecting my post to get quoted, but not by a good response! Hahaha!!

ironmanDX said:

I hate this "it was their first system" excuse.  Nintendo and Sony both led the market with their first system.  Hell Sony sold 100 million when many thought the ceiling for gaming was the NES's 60 million and they did it going against two established juggernauts in SEGA and Nintendo.  Xbox got its ass beat fair and square.  Also I don't think its reasonable to expect to maintain 70+% market share like Sony had with PS2.  That being said without 4 major advantages being handed to them this gen I don't think MS will be as strong the next go around.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers