By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Dating someone with kids

She shouldn't have let you meet the kids until she's serious that you're going to be in their lives or she needs somebody to buy them Christmas presents.

That's how it works, bro.

Around the Network
pokeclaudel said:
I was thinking more that she should be the one to initiate a call since I wasn't really in the wrong.

That's not how it works.... doesn't matter if you were right.. they own the vagina, they have the power

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

d21lewis said:
She shouldn't have let you meet the kids until she's serious that you're going to be in their lives or she needs somebody to buy them Christmas presents.

That is patent crap. I believe someone should meet my children as soon as they meet me, or even before if possible. I want them to know what they are getting into early so if they cannot handle it, there are no serious feelings to be hurt early on.

Meeting the children later can only make things more complicated. Everyone should know everyone asap, unless parents sleep around a lot and know they are not looking for a relationship.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

NiKKoM said:
pokeclaudel said:
I was thinking more that she should be the one to initiate a call since I wasn't really in the wrong.

That's not how it works.... doens't matter if you were right.. they own the vagina, they have the power

LOL! good catch, I was busy concentrating on the kids aspect. That post just confirms the OP really isn't ready for the type of relationship.

Come on, she probably denied it just because she was afraid of how you would react, and judging by your reaction that was justified fear.

You already decided it was not going to be a deal breaker, so don't make it one. Don't let what a kid says get to you, kids say a lot of things.
Just train the kids to call you by your first name and problem solved.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
GhaudePhaede010 said:
d21lewis said:

That is patent crap. I believe someone should meet my children as soon as they meet me, or even before if possible. I want them to know what they are getting into early so if they cannot handle it, there are no serious feelings to be hurt early on.

Meeting the children later can only make things more complicated. Everyone should know everyone asap, unless parents sleep around a lot and know they are not looking for a relationship.

I agree with d21lewis. The kids have no concept of whats going on. There really is no reason to meet someone who wont be around for long. The guy needs to be serious about the woman before he can know if he wants to be serious about the kids.

pokeclaudel said:
I'm going to be 23 pretty soon for the people asking how old I am. I mean there have been attempts to contact her by a text here or there but I'll admit they weren't the most sincere attempts to reach her. I was thinking more that she should be the one to initiate a call since I wasn't really in the wrong. I don’t know why the whole dad thing freaked me out so much. I just wish I was never introduced to kids at this point.

well did she respond to those texts?

idk this could not have been me! Seems like you are scared of something. I would have CALLED my girl THE NEXT DAY. You HAD to care about her because you were changing her kids diapers n sh!t.

Were you scared of the babies dad or something? be honest.

also, what happened after you went to the Bathroom after the kid called you "dad"?

pokeclaudel said:
I'm going to be 23 pretty soon for the people asking how old I am. I mean there have been attempts to contact her by a text here or there but I'll admit they weren't the most sincere attempts to reach her. I was thinking more that she should be the one to initiate a call since I wasn't really in the wrong. I don’t know why the whole dad thing freaked me out so much. I just wish I was never introduced to kids at this point.

There is no right or wrong here, you shouldnt be waiting for her to contact you after 3 weeks lol. It was an uncomfortable situation, how else did you expect her to react? The father is there, your there freaking out because what the kids said, she did what is probably the best thing at the time and avoids the whole deal. That doesnt mean to never address it after that. She probably feels you freaked out and abandoned ship,In her mind  you prolly look like the ass that bailed because the kids are getting to attached. Your reaction definately wasnt the best thing to do IF you do plan on pursuing the relationship.

Max King of the Wild said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:
d21lewis said:

I agree with d21lewis. The kids have no concept of whats going on. There really is no reason to meet someone who wont be around for long. The guy needs to be serious about the woman before he can know if he wants to be serious about the kids.

*facepalm*

Any serious parent knows you cannot be serious about a relationship unless your partner is serious about the child/children. They go hand-in-hand. To try to seperate the two is completely selfish and doomed to a measure of failure once thee other person realizes the freedom they have had with the parent is a fleeting reality. Thee only way to know how serious someone is about me, is to know how they can handle being with a father. Not with a man that has children somewhere; a father.

And it works the same way with a mother. If a mother wants to know how serious a man is about the relationship, from before day 1 (if possible), the partner should have a feel for the parents relationship with their child/children. Something that can only be gained first hand and not from story telling. Anything less is advertising the child/children as secondary and that should never be the representation of a parent. Between me and my girlfriend, we share 8 children. I met her children about three days into dating her and she met mine before we started dating at all. How she parents, how her children behave (if they are bad, well-behaved, have attachment issues, or have mental disabilities), how she changes as a person when around her chlidren are vital TO THE RELATIONSHIP and could have changed how I felt about her. Also, if a child/children is uncomfortable around thee other person, it is best known from the start so you can build together if possible as opposed working the relationship from the ground up all over again (if the relationship is not ended at that point; in my case, it would have been). A serious parent (I use the term loosely) knows better than to keep the children out of their life in that manner because the child is the parents life. If a parent is looking for a serious relationship, they better advertise being a parent first, and single second. If looking for a hookup, then you are correct, keep the lives distanced.

As far as advice to this guy, just move on. You care too much about the situation and that shows me you should walk away right now.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

I think many here are missing the most urgent point.

Call this person right away and communicate with her. To cut off all contact for over two weeks is inexcusable. Share this trepidation with her, and come to some kind of solution. But don't just drop off the face of the Earth.