By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Forza Horizon Tanking Just a Month After Release

riderz13371 said:

Haha.....going back to sales when the quality argument collapses on itself. Every Forza makes a profit on its own before its bundled, and as a franchise will have sold more then GT did this gen by years end. I see quality and superior sales from where im sitting.

You look at it as a franchise from this gen only perspective. I look at it from a franchise from the time it started to the present. Neither one of us can be wrong

But many will see you as using PS1 and PS2 games as a crutch. This gen is when Forza really took off and it really is smart to just use the most current data (this gen) to give a true picture of how each are doing currently. 

But to each their own. I wish you good day sir.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
riderz13371 said:

Haha.....going back to sales when the quality argument collapses on itself. Every Forza makes a profit on its own before its bundled, and as a franchise will have sold more then GT did this gen by years end. I see quality and superior sales from where im sitting.

You look at it as a franchise from this gen only perspective. I look at it from a franchise from the time it started to the present. Neither one of us can be wrong

But many will see you as using PS1 and PS2 games as a crutch. This gen is when Forza really took off and it really is smart to just use the most current data (this gen) to give a true picture of how each are doing currently. 

I guess I use the franchise as a whole beginning from ps1 till now because I grew up playing GT games so they sort of have that sentimental value feel to me.

I guess they won't ever think about a sequel. Shame, cuz the game is good, played the demo.

I'm waiting for the bomba price to go lower. 15 quid is my budget.

anmol111 said:
Forza is a franchise that is just beginning its life and Forza Horizon is a spin-off so its expected to sell worse than the actual games. Still I think Forza is a great franchise and is doing very well for itself. This is coming from a PS3 gamer.

And compared to GT5, it is not even in the same league as far as sales go because GT5 has a fanbase and its always known to be one of the biggest games PS offers. Also I think its commendable for GT5 to have sold 9 Million copies in only 2 years. The first year it sold 6 mil and the second 3 mil so if the trend continues, it should sell 1.5 mil this year making it easily reach the 10 mil mark as is common with a Gran Turismo game.

Forza has been around since 2005. Where the hell have you been? It's over 7 years old.

sales2099 said:

Gran Turismo as a franchise, using the most reliable up-to-date figures we have, is sitting at ~18.2 Million units for the generation as of September. Averages at just over 6 Million units per game over the 3 releases. This comes from Polyphony Digital. You are free to go check the site for proof.

Forza as a franchise this generation? Using the most reliable data we have for Forza games (VGC), Forza is sitting at 12.45 Million units as of November 17th. Averages at 3.1 Million units per game over 4 releases.

If you add on the original Forza Motorsport onto the current gen Forza total - THIS generations Gran Turismo numbers are still higher. Forza is no where near the size of Gran Turismo. The numbers are there, all you have to do is open your eyes. Its like comparing Killzone to Halo.

Around the Network

I picked mine up at Walmart for $15 so its not just MS selling their own game really cheap. I Wouldnt say the game tanked but I dont think it sold nearly what MS thought it would.

It will sell fine. Somewhere between the average Need for Speed game and Forza 4.

Turkish said:
I guess they won't ever think about a sequel. Shame, cuz the game is good, played the demo.

I'm waiting for the bomba price to go lower. 15 quid is my budget.

I'm sure they going to have at least one sequel.  I don't think it cost too much money to develop.  I will play it in a couple of days too busy playing PS3 games at the moment. 

CGI-Quality said:
Dmick90 said:

Sadly, Gran Turismo is really the only thing the Playstation has going for it anymore. The problem with Sony exclusives is that once Sony gets their hands on a blockbuster franchise they piss it away and that angers fans. Other than Gran Turismo most of their successful games come from third party companies. Remember Crash Bandicoot and how popular that was? Why did Sony let that franchise go? Naughty Dog is really like a one hit wonder kind of company. They let Crash go, Jak and Daxter was really popular they killed that, and now rumors are coming out that they are going to stop making Uncharted games. Why??? These games have developed a cult like following and Sony can't let their strongest IPs high and dry. 

I never said Sony doesn't put time and money into GT games, but this gen Microsoft has definitely outspent Sony in development and marketing costs on Forza games, atleast in North America. You think every single person that bought a Gran Turismo game since 1997 is still playing it up until this day? Come on dude... In my opinion Forza offers more but apparently we agree to disagree. Oh no Forza doesn't have weather or night driving that means the world is coming to an end!! Seriously get a grip dude...

Uncharted, God of War, Killzone, inFAMOUS, and LittleBigPlanet (among other successful, Sony owned/developed IPs), would beg to differ greatly with your first, very misinformed paragraph. They also never owned Crash, didn't kill Jak & Daxter, and never announced they'd conclude the Uncharted series.

To your second paragraph, no, not every single person that bough the first GT bought GT5, but if recent sales are any indication, MANY of them have. Hell, you think every person that bought the first of any iteration of any franchise buys all the sequels? Common sense would tell us "no". That goes-without-saying, for any franchise of any medium.

Lastly, to say that Naughty Dog is a "one hit wonder" kind of a company leads me to know that you aren't in touch with the current state of things. 

I said some of the most successful games in the history of the Playstation brand have come from third party companies. Can you not read? The top five best selling games on Playstation are: COD MW3, COD BO, COD MW2, GTA 4, and Gran Turismo 5. Other than Gran Turismo, Uncharted 2 was the only Sony owned IP that cracked the top ten in sales and it ranked #9. God of War 3 ranks #21, Uncharted 3 #14, Killzone 2 #35, inFAMOUS #53, Littlebigplanet #13.

Naughty Dog is a one hit wonder, they make a few hot titles for a few years and then they drop it like cold turkey and conjure up something new. Case in point, Crash Bandicoot, and Jak and Daxter.

CGI-Quality said:
Dmick90 said:

I said some of the most successful games in the history of the Playstation brand have come from third party companies. Can you not read? The top five best selling games on Playstation are: COD MW3, COD BO, COD MW2, GTA 4, and Gran Turismo 5. Other than Gran Turismo, Uncharted 2 was the only Sony owned IP that cracked the top ten in sales and it ranked #9. God of War 3 ranks #21, Uncharted 3 #14, Killzone 2 #35, inFAMOUS #53, Littlebigplanet #13.

Naughty Dog is a one hit wonder, they make a few hot titles for a few years and then they drop it like cold turkey and conjure up something new. Case in point, Crash Bandicoot, and Jak and Daxter.

You claim that "some of the most successful" titles come from them and then, in the same breath, call them a "One Hit Wonder" kind of company. That makes no sense, because the termonolgy was concocted on the basis of just that; an artists/performer that only had one notable offering. Naughty Dog is not in the category. Also, cracking the top 10 is a huge feat, I agree, but that doesn't mean it dictates the means of success.

And the pointless "can you not read" comment further proves my earlier point, no matter how much you want to paint yourself as "the nice guy"

Nice way to dodge and deflect the question. I thought you said your lineup of Sony IPs would defy my previous statement?

Who do you think you are? I'm new here and I don't know you people very well and you don't know me, so show a little respect and you'll get respect in return. And I know what one hit wonder is, I was using it as a figure of speech. Thought you were intelligent enough to realize that. You know the essence of what I meant.