By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wiiu RAM 43% slower than PS360 RAM

ethomaz said:

dahuman said:

So once again, if you've been following Wii U news, the devs generally praised it based on latency, I'm hoping you understand what that means, if not, go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency

Just because a piece of memory has lower bandwidth, it doesn't mean it's actually slower, we don't have enough data to say if it's actually slower, it all depends on what the CAS number is, and we don't have that number, so no opinion really matters. Not to mention that we don't even know what the memory controller actually is doing in the CPU, how customized is it? Is it single channel or dual channel? Nobody knows but Nintendo.

The best case latency for Wii U memory is 5... it gives 6.25ns interval... great but not going to do miracle (even so I don't expect to Wii U use the best case... I think for mass production the 6 or 7 latency is a better choice).

So all really matter is how the 32 eDRAM can help the memory, or better, how the developers can use the eDRAM to avoid the slow main RAM... that's my point.

32MB eDRAM can help to archive 1080p but to do AA at the same time not... so for a complex game it have to be 720p.

The memory controller is a quad-channel 16bits (64bits real).

If it's really at 5ns, then depends on how the CPU is built, in theory the Wii U would still be faster in real world performance compared to PS3 and 360 on a memory level, because memory access time is the one weakness that the 360 and PS3 both had due to the way their CPUs work. Even more into the equation though, another question would be, how far away the CPU is to the RAM in cycles. It all depends on how well Nintendo has optimized this machine vs just tossing raw power bottle necks into it.

Just remember that bandwidth isn't everything, Clock speed only truly mattered in the SDR days. I'm also not too worried about AA with the advent of MLAA TBH.

Around the Network
VGKing said:
z101 said:
Turkish said:
Heavenly_King said:

You have to update the WiiU ram.   According to neogaf it is not even 17gb/s, it is.......12.8gb/s

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44502005&postcount=1200

Damn, updating now. Thanks for notifying.

Because someone on the internet said it, it must be true ...

Surely you people should wait when real technical specs roll in, not just a lonely number.

And the headline is false at all, because the eDRAM is also RAM and much more and faster than on any console before.

Then we would be waiting forever. There's a reason Nintendo hasn't(and won't) reveal specs. The system is way too underpowered to be a next-gen system. This just wont' get good 3rd party support. The ports it already had are horrible.

You are going to be really dissapointed when the Orbis and Durango come out if that's your train of thought.

Darc Requiem said:
VGKing said:
z101 said:
Turkish said:
Heavenly_King said:

You have to update the WiiU ram.   According to neogaf it is not even 17gb/s, it is.......12.8gb/s

Surely you people should wait when real technical specs roll in, not just a lonely number.

And the headline is false at all, because the eDRAM is also RAM and much more and faster than on any console before.

Then we would be waiting forever. There's a reason Nintendo hasn't(and won't) reveal specs. The system is way too underpowered to be a next-gen system. This just wont' get good 3rd party support. The ports it already had are horrible.

The PS3 is still getting terrible ports but I always see posters complain about lazy devs. You can't have it both ways guys.

It's not really about lazy devs, its about lead platforms and time constraints. The Xbox 360 is usually used as the lead platform to develop games(since its easier). This is why we have games like Call of Duty and Skyrim having more issues on PS3.

The same is happening with Wii U, but Wii U isn't even 2nd thought, its 3rd. Wii U versions of games will be the least optimized and will run worst. This late in the gen, I doubt any 3rd parties would want to pay any special attention to the Wi U versions of Black Ops 2/Mass Effect 3/...etc. In fact it's lucky that its getting them at all....

This is why I always laugh when I hear people wanting Grand Theft Auto V on Wii U. It's just not going to happen. A game that big and that complex would be hell to port over to a new console. Hell, even PC is being left out for launch...

Can someone describe exactly how RAM speed affects performance?

Does it mean slower texture loading? less polygons? what's the deal?

I LOVE ICELAND!

VGKing said:
z101 said:
Turkish said:
Heavenly_King said:

the reason why they don't release the specs is that the target-group has no interest in specs. they want to play new nintendo-games, that's it. and don't say underpowered if you don't know all the specs. funny though that ppl here who seem to be interested in specs seem to have close-to-zero knowledge in technology ;)

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:
Naraku_Diabolos said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

haha so shiny

the pic i saw was also for batman...so who knows maybe it's a bad port job from the devs

You are also forgetting the Wii U version is called the Armored Edition. Batman is supposed to be wearing better gear of sorts, and it's easier to navigate his armory menus on the GamePad.

actually the gamepad use is one of the most criticized aspects of the game. There's a thread on gaf comparing the ports and there's a lot of complaints about the framerate etc as well. 

I usually just tell people to buy a good PC, that game is pretty amazing with all the bells and whistles turned on.

Galaki said:
Suddenly, we have so many computer hardware experts on VGC.
Nintendo sure is screwing up bad by paying a lot of money for old tech.

I can tell you the people who are not and trying to be though :P

YESSSSSSSSSSSS cause power = sales... oh wait...

dahuman said:
VGKing said:
z101 said:
Turkish said:
Heavenly_King said:

You are going to be really dissapointed when the Orbis and Durango come out if that's your train of thought.

Disapointed? Nope.

I know that at least Sony cares about making high-end hardware that is future-proof. They don't go for "Good enough".

It's guaranteed that the PS4/720 will be way more powerful than a PS3/360, if you think they won't, you're the one that's going to be disapointed. You see with Microsofts and Sony's consoles, 3rd party is king. 3rd party developers NEED powerful consoles to continue to push games and not be limited by 6/7 year old conosles.

Viper1 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

actually the gamepad use is one of the most criticized aspects of the game. There's a thread on gaf comparing the ports and there's a lot of complaints about the framerate etc as well. 

Aren't they still having problems with UE3 on PS3 even after 6 years?   It's not surprising that the first Wii U games (farmed out to secondary studios no less) aren't running equally as well as on the other 2 consoles that have had 6 years of work on them.

sure. But the port had well over a year to be made yes? A port of a last gen game no less. But yea the devs are to be blamed here. 

I think colonial marines will be the big test as it has been touteda lot by the devs

@dahuman: yeah that's what I have heard as well

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!