Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wiiu RAM 43% slower than PS360 RAM

dahuman said:
VGKing said:
dahuman said:
VGKing said:
z101 said:
Turkish said:
Heavenly_King said:

You have to update the WiiU ram.   According to neogaf it is not even 17gb/s, it is.......12.8gb/s

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44502005&postcount=1200

Damn, updating now. Thanks for notifying.

Because someone on the internet said it, it must be true ...

Surely you people should wait when real technical specs roll in, not just a lonely number.

And the headline is false at all, because the eDRAM is also RAM and much more and faster than on any console before.

Then we would be waiting forever. There's a reason Nintendo hasn't(and won't) reveal specs. The system is way too underpowered to be a next-gen system. This just wont' get good 3rd party support. The ports it already had are horrible.

You are going to be really dissapointed when the Orbis and Durango come out if that's your train of thought.

Disapointed? Nope.

I know that at least Sony cares about making high-end hardware that is future-proof. They don't go for "Good enough".

It's guaranteed that the PS4/720 will be way more powerful than a PS3/360, if you think they won't, you're the one that's going to be disapointed. You see with Microsofts and Sony's consoles, 3rd party is king. 3rd party developers NEED powerful consoles to continue to push games and not be limited by 6/7 year old conosles.

They only did it for the PS3(and not really future proof either, it's really not that strong), and it costed them too much with not a lot of returns if at all, it just wouldn't be wise in their current money situation. If the rumors are true regarding the Orbis using those parts, then yes, you will be dissapointed, it will maybe last 5 years along side the other 2 at the very best. If anything, I predict the next xbox being the most powerful, but still not future proof. I mean shit, future proof in PC term is like 5 years tops. I don't even know why Sony thought they can make the PS3 last 10 years and evidently, they can't.

PS3 will last 10 years. We will be getting the FIFAs, Maddens and Call of Dutys for it years after the PS4 is released. Sony's financial situation or PS3 woes have nothing to do with this. I saw those PS4 specs, and from the looks of it PS4 > Wii U, and those aren't even finalized specs.

Around the Network
VGKing said:
dahuman said:
VGKing said:
dahuman said:
VGKing said:
z101 said:
Turkish said:
Heavenly_King said:

You have to update the WiiU ram.   According to neogaf it is not even 17gb/s, it is.......12.8gb/s

Surely you people should wait when real technical specs roll in, not just a lonely number.

And the headline is false at all, because the eDRAM is also RAM and much more and faster than on any console before.

Then we would be waiting forever. There's a reason Nintendo hasn't(and won't) reveal specs. The system is way too underpowered to be a next-gen system. This just wont' get good 3rd party support. The ports it already had are horrible.

You are going to be really dissapointed when the Orbis and Durango come out if that's your train of thought.

Disapointed? Nope.

I know that at least Sony cares about making high-end hardware that is future-proof. They don't go for "Good enough".

It's guaranteed that the PS4/720 will be way more powerful than a PS3/360, if you think they won't, you're the one that's going to be disapointed. You see with Microsofts and Sony's consoles, 3rd party is king. 3rd party developers NEED powerful consoles to continue to push games and not be limited by 6/7 year old conosles.

They only did it for the PS3(and not really future proof either, it's really not that strong), and it costed them too much with not a lot of returns if at all, it just wouldn't be wise in their current money situation. If the rumors are true regarding the Orbis using those parts, then yes, you will be dissapointed, it will maybe last 5 years along side the other 2 at the very best. If anything, I predict the next xbox being the most powerful, but still not future proof. I mean shit, future proof in PC term is like 5 years tops. I don't even know why Sony thought they can make the PS3 last 10 years and evidently, they can't.

PS3 will last 10 years. We will be getting the FIFAs, Maddens and Call of Dutys for it years after the PS4 is released. Sony's financial situation or PS3 woes have nothing to do with this. I saw those PS4 specs, and from the looks of it PS4 > Wii U, and those aren't even finalized specs.

Yeah and they made PS2s until 2010 so no shit, I'm talking about the tech front. I'd hope PS4>Wii U, it's coming out at least 1 year later, it'd be quiet embarrassing if it's not, just don't expect anything grand. High expectations will only result in a rubber hammer on your head is all I'm saying. It won't be like a PS3/360 vs Wii U situation again either, just don't expect huge jumps this time around.

Mr Khan said:
VGKing said:
aikohualda said:
YESSSSSSSSSSSS cause power = sales... oh wait...

The more power a console has, the more games can be made for it. The more games are made for it, the more people buy the Wii U. So yes, in a way power = sales.

Power was a huge limiting factor for the original Wii, it will be the same for the Wii U once Xbox 720 and PS4 release.

It won't be anywhere near as big an issue. The feature-set was the bigger gap problem between Wii and PS360, with things like TEV vs Programmable shaders, or many other features that were missing (Normal Mapping wasn't even standard). Also PS3 and 360 had about 6x as much RAM as Wii. Orbis/Durango would have to have 12 GB of unified RAM to create a gap that big, on raw numbers alone. We're looking at somewhere on the order of 2-4x, with processors that are likely to be much more similar.

Likely what you'll end up with is the difference between games running on min/max settings.

Yeah, processors will likely be very similar but that's only because processors haven't really advanced that much. There aren't that many options to pick from, and they can't continue using the Cell.

If next-gen games run on "minimum settings" on a Wii U, and "maximum" on a PS4/720, that would be amazing for everyone. That's just a best case scenario though. If a next-gen game can run on a Wii U, couldn't it also run on a PS3 or 360 as well? I think it all depends if developers put in the work, and that depends on how well these launch games sell and how well the Wii U itself sells.

VGKing said:
Mr Khan said:
VGKing said:
aikohualda said:

The more power a console has, the more games can be made for it. The more games are made for it, the more people buy the Wii U. So yes, in a way power = sales.

Power was a huge limiting factor for the original Wii, it will be the same for the Wii U once Xbox 720 and PS4 release.

It won't be anywhere near as big an issue. The feature-set was the bigger gap problem between Wii and PS360, with things like TEV vs Programmable shaders, or many other features that were missing (Normal Mapping wasn't even standard). Also PS3 and 360 had about 6x as much RAM as Wii. Orbis/Durango would have to have 12 GB of unified RAM to create a gap that big, on raw numbers alone. We're looking at somewhere on the order of 2-4x, with processors that are likely to be much more similar.

Likely what you'll end up with is the difference between games running on min/max settings.

Yeah, processors will likely be very similar but that's only because processors haven't really advanced that much. There aren't that many options to pick from, and they can't continue using the Cell.

If next-gen games run on "minimum settings" on a Wii U, and "maximum" on a PS4/720, that would be amazing for everyone. That's just a best case scenario though. If a next-gen game can run on a Wii U, couldn't it also run on a PS3 or 360 as well? I think it all depends if developers put in the work, and that depends on how well these launch games sell and how well the Wii U itself sells.

That's why 3rd party devs are building scalable engines now, it's almost like buying a PC in a way. Options options, dedicated by hardware specs.

dahuman said:
VGKing said:
dahuman said:
VGKing said:
dahuman said:
VGKing said:
z101 said:
Turkish said:
Heavenly_King said:

Disapointed? Nope.

Yeah and they made PS2s until 2010 so no shit, I'm talking about the tech front. I'd hope PS4>Wii U, it's coming out at least 1 year later, it'd be quiet embarrassing if it's not, just don't expect anything grand. High expectations will only result in a rubber hammer on your head is all I'm saying. It won't be like a PS3/360 vs Wii U situation again either, just don't expect huge jumps this time around.

They are still making/selling PS2s. Don't worry PS4 will be more powerful than a Wii U, I don't even know why you would think it wouldn't be.

I'm not stupid, I know this won't be an exact repeat of PS3 > Wii. I mean nothing can compare to the jump from SD to HD. Maybe 1080p 60FPS in 3D? Leaked specs mentioned that was Sony's goal.....we'll see.

Around the Network
VGKing said:

Actually, a lot of them could, yes.   RAM capacity could be what holds back those that don't.  

The similarity between architecture is now what allows this.     The difference between Wii and PS3/X360 is what caused so many problems in porting.   Some games simply couldn't be ported down because of the lack of multiple cores and programmable shaders.     That won't be the issue for PS3/X360 and Wii U with PS4/Next X.

They may need to reduce some scale in themodels and environment geometry.  But then again, it also depends on the game engine.  Some can do that for you rather quickly.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

VGKing said:
dahuman said:
VGKing said:
dahuman said:
VGKing said:
z101 said:
Turkish said:
Heavenly_King said:

Disapointed? Nope.

It does when Sony is struggling to pay the bills.

dahuman said:
VGKing said:
Mr Khan said:
VGKing said:
aikohualda said:

That's why 3rd party devs are building scalable engines now, it's almost like buying a PC in a way. Options options, dedicated by hardware specs.

True, but it will come down to more than just if a game can run on a Wii U.......it will come down to if there is an audience for it.
The big next-gen engine will be Unreal Engine 4. If Wii U can somehow manage to run that I think Nintendo will be in a good posistion.

VGKing said:
dahuman said:
VGKing said:
dahuman said:
VGKing said:
dahuman said:
VGKing said:
z101 said:
Turkish said:
Heavenly_King said:

Disapointed? Nope.

They are still making/selling PS2s. Don't worry PS4 will be more powerful than a Wii U, I don't even know why you would think it wouldn't be.

I'm not stupid, I know this won't be an exact repeat of PS3 > Wii. I mean nothing can compare to the jump from SD to HD. Maybe 1080p 60FPS in 3D? Leaked specs mentioned that was Sony's goal.....we'll see.

That's what I'm saying, PS3 can last into the next century if they keep making it, it'd just be outdated ass tech.

I don't think I've mentioned anywhere that I think Orbis wouldn't be more powerful, I was already in Gilgamesh's thread talking about the Orbis and how they can use the machine to bring out impressive things depending on how it'd be used. 1080p 3D 60FPS would have to be rendered in 120FPS, no fucking way it's going to happen unless you are running something in lower detail or with tricks rather than raw power, 720p might have a chance.

VGKing said:

True, but it will come down to more than just if a game can run on a Wii U.......it will come down to if there is an audience for it.
The big next-gen engine will be Unreal Engine 4. If Wii U can somehow manage to run that I think Nintendo will be in a good posistion.

Consider that already done.   It's fully scalable down to cell phones.

The rEVOLution is not being televised