By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wiiu RAM 43% slower than PS360 RAM

Can we please get back to the topic? Else a mod should close this thread.

Around the Network
drkohler said:

But you can't rerail a derailed thread! It's like dividing by zero!

Now seriously, there's no need to go back on topic. We know the numbers and, for better or worse, they don't lie.

The only thing we don't know is the latency of the RAM, which will also affect performance, but until someone find out that number or we find out the RAM of the other consoles, I think that there's no need to continue.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
drkohler said:

But you can't rerail a derailed thread! It's like dividing by zero!

Now seriously, there's no need to go back on topic. We know the numbers and, for better or worse, they don't lie.

The only thing we don't know is the latency of the RAM, which will also affect performance, but until someone find out that number or we find out the RAM of the other consoles, I think that there's no need to continue.

It's all turks fault...drinking too much Sony Kool Aide!!!  I agree this thread is done until an actual test of the system.  I'm outta here...BUT BEFORE I GO.....

KINECT RULES AND NO ONE EVER BOTHERS OR THINKS ABOUT THE MOVE ANYMORE!!!!

dahuman said:

Scisca said:
I think it's ridiculous that N fans are so proud and think they proved something huge when they say Wii U is a bit stronger than the HD twins. I actually think it would be next to impossible nowadays to create a weaker console, since such low level hardware probably isn't available anymore, apart from mobiles. I was expecting the Wii U to be better than PS360 in every single way and I hope that these strange numbers about the RAM and the CPU are somehow compensated for by the architecture of the console.

Having said that, I find it sad that people still compare the Wii U to PS360 and that this comparison is still legit. The way I see it, Wii U vs. PS360 is like Wii vs. GCN/X-box. A step forward, but hey. Nobody was excited about the Wii being more powerful than the PS2, right? Cause it had other competition in its generation. It wasn't competing with PS2/GCN/X-box. We still don't know anything about the next PS/X-box, but one thing is certain, they have to be a significant and noticable improvement over the previous consoles, cause otherwise people just wouldn't buy them!

Would all X360 owners buy the next X-box if it was Wii U strong and actually got all the same games as the X360? Not so sure about it. So these consoles will be more powerful. And they will be the Wii U's competition, not the PS360. The gap will hopefully be smaller, but is that going to be enough to convince core gamers to buying 3rd party multiplatform games for the Wii U instead of going with their old brand and benefiting from having the old fiendslist, achievements, etc.? Only time will tell. At least I hope that N will be getting the multiplats this time so that they can try to compete.

In my opinion, judging from all that, I think the Wii U has a huge chance to end up the way Gamecube did. A great console that sells quite average, because everyone only uses it to play Nintendo games, but it still remains profitable for Nintendo. I think that a Wii-like success isn't possible next gen. They managed to catch lightning in a bottle, but that won't happen for the second time, cause the competition won't ignore N this time and already has the Smartglass/Vita integration plus the casual market has changed. I see the future of the Wii U more GCN-like, then Wii-like. This is all just my prediction though.

PS. Haha, it feels so funny saying "next-gen" and not refering to the PS3/X360/Wii, since that is the "current-gen" now :) Time flies, the world changes... :)

could you like, fix that post? I couldn't read pass the second sentence cause it brings me stress to see a wall of text.

Is it better now?

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Scisca said:
dahuman said:

Scisca said:
I think it's ridiculous that N fans are so proud and think they proved something huge when they say Wii U is a bit stronger than the HD twins. I actually think it would be next to impossible nowadays to create a weaker console, since such low level hardware probably isn't available anymore, apart from mobiles. I was expecting the Wii U to be better than PS360 in every single way and I hope that these strange numbers about the RAM and the CPU are somehow compensated for by the architecture of the console.

Having said that, I find it sad that people still compare the Wii U to PS360 and that this comparison is still legit. The way I see it, Wii U vs. PS360 is like Wii vs. GCN/X-box. A step forward, but hey. Nobody was excited about the Wii being more powerful than the PS2, right? Cause it had other competition in its generation. It wasn't competing with PS2/GCN/X-box. We still don't know anything about the next PS/X-box, but one thing is certain, they have to be a significant and noticable improvement over the previous consoles, cause otherwise people just wouldn't buy them!

Would all X360 owners buy the next X-box if it was Wii U strong and actually got all the same games as the X360? Not so sure about it. So these consoles will be more powerful. And they will be the Wii U's competition, not the PS360. The gap will hopefully be smaller, but is that going to be enough to convince core gamers to buying 3rd party multiplatform games for the Wii U instead of going with their old brand and benefiting from having the old fiendslist, achievements, etc.? Only time will tell. At least I hope that N will be getting the multiplats this time so that they can try to compete.

In my opinion, judging from all that, I think the Wii U has a huge chance to end up the way Gamecube did. A great console that sells quite average, because everyone only uses it to play Nintendo games, but it still remains profitable for Nintendo. I think that a Wii-like success isn't possible next gen. They managed to catch lightning in a bottle, but that won't happen for the second time, cause the competition won't ignore N this time and already has the Smartglass/Vita integration plus the casual market has changed. I see the future of the Wii U more GCN-like, then Wii-like. This is all just my prediction though.

PS. Haha, it feels so funny saying "next-gen" and not refering to the PS3/X360/Wii, since that is the "current-gen" now :) Time flies, the world changes... :)

could you like, fix that post? I couldn't read pass the second sentence cause it brings me stress to see a wall of text.

Is it better now?

much, I actually read it lol. I doubt it'd end up like the GC though, Smart Glass and Vita adds too much cost, it's going to be a fun generation to watch for sure, so far the killer app is actually Miiverse lol.

Around the Network
VGKing said:
Darc Requiem said:
VGKing said:
z101 said:
Turkish said:
Heavenly_King said:

You have to update the WiiU ram.   According to neogaf it is not even 17gb/s, it is.......12.8gb/s

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44502005&postcount=1200

Damn, updating now. Thanks for notifying.

Because someone on the internet said it, it must be true ...

Surely you people should wait when real technical specs roll in, not just a lonely number.

And the headline is false at all, because the eDRAM is also RAM and much more and faster than on any console before.

Then we would be waiting forever. There's a reason Nintendo hasn't(and won't) reveal specs. The system is way too underpowered to be a next-gen system. This just wont' get good 3rd party support. The ports it already had are horrible.

The PS3 is still getting terrible ports but I always see posters complain about lazy devs. You can't have it both ways guys.

It's not really about lazy devs, its about lead platforms and time constraints. The Xbox 360 is usually used as the lead platform to develop games(since its easier). This is why we have games like Call of Duty and Skyrim having more issues on PS3.

The same is happening with Wii U, but Wii U isn't even 2nd thought, its 3rd. Wii U versions of games will be the least optimized and will run worst. This late in the gen, I doubt any 3rd parties would want to pay any special attention to the Wi U versions of Black Ops 2/Mass Effect 3/...etc. In fact it's lucky that its getting them at all....

This is why I always laugh when I hear people wanting Grand Theft Auto V on Wii U. It's just not going to happen. A game that big and that complex would be hell to port over to a new console. Hell, even PC is being left out for launch...

I can tell you right now the decision to port GTA5 to Wii U has nothing to do with how difficult it would be to port the game over and everything to do with how well R* believes the game would profit it. The gaming landscape would be massively different if publishers made their decisions based solely on ease of development/porting.

We also have a named executive in the industry stating that it's relatively painless and inexpensive to port games over to Wii U:

http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/7/19/3170432/ubisoft-says-wii-u-development-cost-not-a-huge-investment-plans-more

http://www.gamezone.com/products/wii-u/news/developing-for-the-wii-u-has-been-surprisingly-inexpensive-for-ubisoft

And I'm too lazy to find the sources, but I believe the developers of Darksiders 2 said porting the game to Wii U was easy because it's so similar to X360 architecture.

All that said, I see you have a point in saying a massive new game like GTA5 may not make it to a console in it's infancy due to time constraints, but my point is that the decision will come down to profitability more than anything. Does R* think porting the game over is worth the money, not the headache of development.