By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wiiu RAM 43% slower than PS360 RAM

Play4Fun said:
Turkish said:
oni-link said:
Turkish said:
oni-link said:
Wow...just...wow...I knew this site was full of anti-Nintendo fanatics like Turkish, VGking etc...but I didn't know it was this rampant!!! I'll wait for a full analysis of the system before jumping the gun. I take it that the term "no one is saying Wii U is not more powerful than PS360...the question is how much" that these people hide behind is thrown out the window b/c of some presumed RAM speed (what the heck). Never mind that the Wii U has better latency, more eDRAM, double the amount of RAM or a better GPU or even CPU. Well I am totally happy with my Wii U, which seem to outperform both PS360 on CoD: BO 2 on the videos that are currently making rounds on the web right now.

You can read Digital Foundrys review.

I did and found it bull$hit similar to how Patcher has been ranting about the Wii U from the beginning.  Honestly, basing the capability of a system based on launch ports from the sub-HD twins (PS3 can't even render BO 2 in standard HD) is quite lunacy!!!

Not only launch ports, look at ZombiU, does that game look good to you? Just watched the IGN review, sorry graphics are mediocre.

ZombiU? oh, you mean that game that started on PS360, was moved to Wii U and then was changed mid-development from Killer Freaks to ZombiU.

Yes, it's strange to me that it doesn't have amazing graphics as well, especially when it was mostly developed on ever-changing, unfinalised dev-kits.

>_>

let me try to explain this to him(Turkish) again...since he obviously doesn't get it.  That or he will spin this faster than an LG washer.

Trine 2 really outshines the current versions available on the PS3 and 360.  The efficent design of the system along with 4x the total RAM, a GPGPU that squashes the PS360 http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Wii-U-GPGPU-Squashes-Xbox-360-PS3-Capable-DirectX-11-Equivalent-Graphics-47126.html , 32 MB of eDRAM ( I suspect MoSys 1TSRAM) etc should equate to an improvement diffrence similar to N64 to DC.  Regardless seeing Nintendo games in real HD resolution is well worth the $300 entry price; especially if you consider the lackluster Vita (with no good games) is selling at the same or nearly the same price.

IF you expect N64 to Xbox jump then you are hopeless indeed Turkish!!! 

Around the Network

Extra eDRAM isn't going to give you a jump from N64 to DC levels, lol.

The Dreamcast had a monstrously more powerful CPU, GPU, and 4x the RAM of the N64, along with 6-7 times the raw polygon drawing ability.

Turkish said:
happydolphin said:
Honestly, at this point, who cares?

Many many people, including me.

You care about numbers, but you don't care about the WiiU, because at this point it should be clear to you that it is a more powerful platform in the whole. The pieces put together is greater than the sum of its parts.

/thread.

Soundwave said:
Extra eDRAM isn't going to give you a jump from N64 to DC levels, lol.

The Dreamcast had a monstrously more powerful CPU, GPU, and 4x the RAM of the N64, along with 6-7 times the raw polygon drawing ability.

Indeed lol, they expect so much from the 32MB edram.

oni-link said:

You obviously haven't met Turkish and his on going crusade to trash anything Nintendo.  I really do miss liborex as he was the antithesis of Turkish; where did that guy go btw?  Anyways I am sincerly enjoying the Wii U right now and right off the bat, games like Trine 2 really outshines the current versions available on the PS3 and 360.  The efficent design of the system along with 4x the total RAM, a GPGPU that squashes the PS360 http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Wii-U-GPGPU-Squashes-Xbox-360-PS3-Capable-DirectX-11-Equivalent-Graphics-47126.html , 32 MB of eDRAM ( I suspect MoSys 1TSRAM) etc should equate to an improvement diffrence similar to N64 to DC.  Regardless seeing Nintendo games in real HD resolution is well worth the $300 entry price; especially if you consider the lackluster Vita (with no good games) is selling at the same or nearly the same price.

Just want to add the Gamepad resolution is a pleasant surprise; definitely above the 3DS XL or even the Vita in quality as far as I can tell!!! 

Hehe, I think I met most of first line, let's say....supporters, for all systems here ;) I admire their passion, but I think in time, most people come to realise that diversity and choice are good, so we should be glad that all these consoles exist - with personal preferences, off course :)

That sad, I agree, WiiU's GPU is better than PS360, and whatever rumour turns out to be true, all rumoured GPUs are pretty much in the same area, so I think that's given. Again, I'm sure that their 1st party titles will look great (I'm hoping that we'll see Zelda on par with that tech demo), and that in time 3rd parties will learn how to best code for WiiU. But, speaking as someone who started gaming with Nintendo (still proud owner of working 1981 Game&Watch "Mickey Mouse"), I was hoping to see them stepping up their tech game just a little bit to make life bit easier for 3rd parties - not necessarily too much, cause, honestly they don't need to, but at least, if that rumours for NexTwins come to life, not to be 3-4x less powerfull than them.

Around the Network
GameAnalyser said:
This again proves that Wii U is just playing catch-up to PS360. Black Ops 2 looking more or less similar is a better proof of how less powerful it is. This console better launch quick or it's going to have such a short life.

How would it look better when all the assets are the exact same?

Take a game using the same settings running on an HD 7970 and an HD 7770.      Is the game going to look the same?   Yes.  Because the assets are the exact same.  How exactly is it supposed to look better?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

I'm going to go heat up some popcorn now cause this thread is getting pretty funny.

Anyways, after 2 days with the Wii U mainly just messing with the features, I have figured out a few things about their design, and I'm a firm believer in what I'm looking at for the future, which is that everything will be based on the software. The functionality of the Wii U is pretty much a cross over between the PC and a Tablet while being a dedicated gaming machine thanks to the extra RAM. They still have a few things to work out but this is the most impressive console I've seen so far when talking about what you can do while playing a game.

You can goto Miiverse and ask for help and chat up or post SS(It's like a Nintendo Twitter), run a fully capable html5 web browser to check on game strategies or just browse the web a little on the fly, look at the eShop which is surprisingly well designed, and once Nintendo TVii is out, you will be able to watch movies and TV shows, all while having your game just idling in the background.

I think MS and Sony will be heading down this route as well, basically making consoles more PC like while not as complicated(MS with Win8 and Sony with uh, I have no idea, XMB is prolly not a good answer for Orbis), I think Nintendo is doing a great job so far with things to fix and features to introduce. The 1GB OS RAM is really starting to make sense at least.

dahuman said:
I'm going to go heat up some popcorn now cause this thread is getting pretty funny.

Anyways, after 2 days with the Wii U mainly just messing with the features, I have figured out a few things about their design, and I'm a firm believer in what I'm looking at for the future, which is that everything will be based on the software. The functionality of the Wii U is pretty much a cross over between the PC and a Tablet while being a dedicated gaming machine thanks to the extra RAM. They still have a few things to work out but this is the most impressive console I've seen so far when talking about what you can do while playing a game.

You can goto Miiverse and ask for help and chat up or post SS(It's like a Nintendo Twitter), run a fully capable html5 web browser to check on game strategies or just browse the web a little on the fly, look at the eShop which is surprisingly well designed, and once Nintendo TVii is out, you will be able to watch movies and TV shows, all while having your game just idling in the background.

I think MS and Sony will be heading down this route as well, basically making consoles more PC like while not as complicated(MS with Win8 and Sony with uh, I have no idea, XMB is prolly not a good answer for Orbis), I think Nintendo is doing a great job so far with things to fix and features to introduce. The 1GB OS RAM is really starting to make sense at least.

Of course they will, do you think Sony could do something innovative without taking ideas from Nintendo.  I give Microsoft props though as Kinect and 360 was wayyyyy more innovative than what Sony has done for the last 10 years!!!---just saying it how I see it, is all.

oni-link said:
dahuman said:

Of course they will, do you think Sony could do something innovative without taking ideas from Sony.  I give Microsoft props though as Kinect and 360 was wayyyyy more innovative than what Sony has done for the last 10 years!!!---just saying it how I see it, is all.

You do realize Sony put out the Eyetoy on the PS2 way before the Xbox 360 released?

darkknightkryta said:
oni-link said:
dahuman said:

Of course they will, do you think Sony could do something innovative without taking ideas from Sony.  I give Microsoft props though as Kinect and 360 was wayyyyy more innovative than what Sony has done for the last 10 years!!!---just saying it how I see it, is all.

You do realize Sony put out the Eyetoy on the PS2 way before the Xbox 360 released?

And Sega put out the Sega Activator before the Wii released. What's your point?