By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wiiu RAM 43% slower than PS360 RAM

NoirSon said:
Eh, I will wait to see what can be done once developers learn how to use the device more and Nintendo usually leaves the option for expansion in their devices so if worst comes to worst, much like they did with the N64 they might sell a RAM expansion or something.

there is no port on the system that has anywhere even close to a 200th of the bandwidth of the internal RAM it has. There is no way they could possibly expand the RAM on the Wii U in any meaningful way. N64 was designed to allow expansion, the Wii U isn't.

Not that this is really as big a deal as some people are making of it. From what we know and devs have said they have made steps to mitigate some of the impact such as a reasonably large eDRAM, and a large block of low latency RAM. With a few tradeoffs you should get games similar too PS360 with some nice new shader effects and maybe some fancy physics effects in the less graphically demanding games thanks to the GPGPU capabilities.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
oni-link said:
dahuman said:
I'm going to go heat up some popcorn now cause this thread is getting pretty funny.

Anyways, after 2 days with the Wii U mainly just messing with the features, I have figured out a few things about their design, and I'm a firm believer in what I'm looking at for the future, which is that everything will be based on the software. The functionality of the Wii U is pretty much a cross over between the PC and a Tablet while being a dedicated gaming machine thanks to the extra RAM. They still have a few things to work out but this is the most impressive console I've seen so far when talking about what you can do while playing a game.

You can goto Miiverse and ask for help and chat up or post SS(It's like a Nintendo Twitter), run a fully capable html5 web browser to check on game strategies or just browse the web a little on the fly, look at the eShop which is surprisingly well designed, and once Nintendo TVii is out, you will be able to watch movies and TV shows, all while having your game just idling in the background.

I think MS and Sony will be heading down this route as well, basically making consoles more PC like while not as complicated(MS with Win8 and Sony with uh, I have no idea, XMB is prolly not a good answer for Orbis), I think Nintendo is doing a great job so far with things to fix and features to introduce. The 1GB OS RAM is really starting to make sense at least.

Of course they will, do you think Sony could do something innovative without taking ideas from Nintendo.  I give Microsoft props though as Kinect and 360 was wayyyyy more innovative than what Sony has done for the last 10 years!!!---just saying it how I see it, is all.

HAHAHAHA

Kinect is more innovative than Eyetoy? LOL Eyetoy is the product that made motion gaming popular. You can come at me with novelty products from the 90s or whatever but they were just that, novelty, they never got big and were huge fails. Eyetoy made casual gaming popular. Since Eyetoy started all this motion gaming hype back in the early 00s, it deserves ALL the credits.

Eyetoy is the source, 7 years before you even had Kinect sports I was having fun with Eyetoy Play and doing fitness with Eyetoy KINETIC

Can't believe that pic with Obama happened, lol

Anyways, 2 GB has to make up for it. If it doesn't then someone's doing a poor job whether in hardware or in software.

Turkish said:
oni-link said:
dahuman said:
I'm going to go heat up some popcorn now cause this thread is getting pretty funny.

Anyways, after 2 days with the Wii U mainly just messing with the features, I have figured out a few things about their design, and I'm a firm believer in what I'm looking at for the future, which is that everything will be based on the software. The functionality of the Wii U is pretty much a cross over between the PC and a Tablet while being a dedicated gaming machine thanks to the extra RAM. They still have a few things to work out but this is the most impressive console I've seen so far when talking about what you can do while playing a game.

You can goto Miiverse and ask for help and chat up or post SS(It's like a Nintendo Twitter), run a fully capable html5 web browser to check on game strategies or just browse the web a little on the fly, look at the eShop which is surprisingly well designed, and once Nintendo TVii is out, you will be able to watch movies and TV shows, all while having your game just idling in the background.

I think MS and Sony will be heading down this route as well, basically making consoles more PC like while not as complicated(MS with Win8 and Sony with uh, I have no idea, XMB is prolly not a good answer for Orbis), I think Nintendo is doing a great job so far with things to fix and features to introduce. The 1GB OS RAM is really starting to make sense at least.

Of course they will, do you think Sony could do something innovative without taking ideas from Nintendo.  I give Microsoft props though as Kinect and 360 was wayyyyy more innovative than what Sony has done for the last 10 years!!!---just saying it how I see it, is all.

HAHAHAHA

Kinect is more innovative than Eyetoy? LOL Eyetoy is the product that made motion gaming popular. You can come at me with novelty products from the 90s or whatever but they were just that, novelty, they never got big and were huge fails. Eyetoy made casual gaming popular. Since Eyetoy started all this motion gaming hype back in the early 00s, it deserves ALL the credits.

Eyetoy is the source, 7 years before you even had Kinect sports I was having fun with Eyetoy Play and doing fitness with Eyetoy KINETIC

lol...the eyetoy was what it was a TOY!!! The Kinect IS the future of motion gaming and I think many Sony fans are just upset Sony is too chicken to copy off Microsoft.  The comparison of EyeToy (lol...can't imagine a grown man asking for that) is akin to the Gameboy Camera. The diffrence is as huge as the Atlantic ocean IMHO.  Turk try something else but one thing is for certain the Kinect is a success while the Move...well nobody remembers the Move or even the EyeToy!!!    BTW thanks for the laughs!!!

oni-link said:
Turkish said:
oni-link said:
dahuman said:

HAHAHAHA

lol...the eyetoy was what it was a TOY!!! The Kinect IS the future of motion gaming and I think many Sony fans are just upset Sony is too chicken to copy off Microsoft.  The comparison of EyeToy (lol...can't imagine a grown man asking for that) is akin to the Gameboy Camera. The diffrence is as huge as the Atlantic ocean IMHO.  Turk try something else but one thing is for certain the Kinect is a success while the Move...well nobody remembers the Move or even the EyeToy!!!    BTW thanks for the laughs!!!

LOL no it isn't. The Kinect hype died out and people moved on. Eyetoy was a TOY and so is Kinect, what you actually believe Kinect is a professional equipment and not meant for entertainment??? That is hilarious and I'm surprised someone out there actually thinks Kinect is transcending what it is. ;D Kinect is doing the same thing Eyetoy did, motion gaming without controllers. The only difference is that Kinect is better since its a NEWER technology than the Eyetoy, duh!

Nintendo and later on Microsoft both saw the success of the Eyetoy and improved, well Microsoft saw the success of Nintendo which saw the success of the Eyetoy is more accurate. But they're nothing more than derivatives. Just like Cognac is a derivative of Whisky!

Around the Network
Turkish said:
oni-link said:
dahuman said:

HAHAHAHA

Really Turks? According to Wikipedia: As of November 6, 2008, the EyeToy has sold 10.5 million units worldwide.

Is THAT really making motion controls popular?? No. No it is not. It's about as popular as Move. And we all know how popular THAT is...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
Turkish said:
oni-link said:
dahuman said:

HAHAHAHA

Really Turks? According to Wikipedia: As of November 6, 2008, the EyeToy has sold 10.5 million units worldwide.

Is THAT really making motion controls popular?? No. No it is not. It's about as popular as Move. And we all know how popular THAT is...

10 million units is mainstream. Yes that means it was popular. Compare that with the novelty products from the 90s. How much did they sell? They didnot work and didnot sell. Eyetoy was popular enough to improve on the formula. Eyetoy was the hype in Europe back in 2003, 2004.

Turkish said:
DanneSandin said:
Turkish said:

HAHAHAHA

10 million units is mainstream. Yes that means it was popular. Compare that with the novelty products from the 90s. How much did they sell? They didnot work and didnot sell. Eyetoy was popular enough to improve on the formula. Eyetoy was the hype in Europe back in 2003, 2004.

Really? I must have missed it =/ And I wouldn't say that 10m sold units means it's mainstream. Is Halo mainstream? I always thought that was a core game...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Hmm, not liking this. It sure wont look nice when the ps4 and nextbox arrives, it will probably be the Wii all over again.

Turkish said:
DanneSandin said:
Turkish said:
oni-link said:
dahuman said:

HAHAHAHA

I can resolve this debate by stating the fact that they both suck anyways so who gives a shit?