By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wiiu RAM 43% slower than PS360 RAM

oni-link said:
dahuman said:
I'm going to go heat up some popcorn now cause this thread is getting pretty funny.

Anyways, after 2 days with the Wii U mainly just messing with the features, I have figured out a few things about their design, and I'm a firm believer in what I'm looking at for the future, which is that everything will be based on the software. The functionality of the Wii U is pretty much a cross over between the PC and a Tablet while being a dedicated gaming machine thanks to the extra RAM. They still have a few things to work out but this is the most impressive console I've seen so far when talking about what you can do while playing a game.

You can goto Miiverse and ask for help and chat up or post SS(It's like a Nintendo Twitter), run a fully capable html5 web browser to check on game strategies or just browse the web a little on the fly, look at the eShop which is surprisingly well designed, and once Nintendo TVii is out, you will be able to watch movies and TV shows, all while having your game just idling in the background.

I think MS and Sony will be heading down this route as well, basically making consoles more PC like while not as complicated(MS with Win8 and Sony with uh, I have no idea, XMB is prolly not a good answer for Orbis), I think Nintendo is doing a great job so far with things to fix and features to introduce. The 1GB OS RAM is really starting to make sense at least.

Of course they will, do you think Sony could do something innovative without taking ideas from Sony.  I give Microsoft props though as Kinect and 360 was wayyyyy more innovative than what Sony has done for the last 10 years!!!---just saying it how I see it, is all.

Yeah fuck Sony, hope they die soon, taking ideas from themselves .

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Around the Network

I think it's ridiculous that N fans are so proud and think they proved something huge when they say Wii U is a bit stronger than the HD twins. I actually think it would be next to impossible nowadays to create a weaker console, since such low level hardware probably isn't available anymore, apart from mobiles. I was expecting the Wii U to be better than PS360 in every single way and I hope that these strange numbers about the RAM and the CPU are somehow compensated for by the architecture of the console.
Having said that, I find it sad that people still compare the Wii U to PS360 and that this comparison is still legit. The way I see it, Wii U vs. PS360 is like Wii vs. GCN/X-box. A step forward, but hey. Nobody was excited about the Wii being more powerful than the PS2, right? Cause it had other competition in its generation. It wasn't competing with PS2/GCN/X-box. We still don't know anything about the next PS/X-box, but one thing is certain, they have to be a significant and noticable improvement over the previous consoles, cause otherwise people just wouldn't buy them! Would all X360 owners buy the next X-box if it was Wii U strong and actually got all the same games as the X360? Not so sure about it. So these consoles will be more powerful. And they will be the Wii U's competition, not the PS360. The gap will hopefully be smaller, but is that going to be enough to convince core gamers to buying 3rd party multiplatform games for the Wii U instead of going with their old brand and benefiting from having the old fiendslist, achievements, etc.? Only time will tell. At least I hope that N will be getting the multiplats this time so that they can try to compete.
In my opinion, judging from all that, I think the Wii U has a huge chance to end up the way Gamecube did. A great console that sells quite average, because everyone only uses it to play Nintendo games, but it still remains profitable for Nintendo. I think that a Wii-like success isn't possible next gen. They managed to catch lightning in a bottle, but that won't happen for the second time, cause the competition won't ignore N this time and already has the Smartglass/Vita integration plus the casual market has changed. I see the future of the Wii U more GCN-like, then Wii-like. This is all just my prediction though.

PS. Haha, it feels so funny saying "next-gen" and not refering to the PS3/X360/Wii, since that is the "current-gen" now :) Time flies, the world changes... :)

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Attoyou said:
oni-link said:
dahuman said:
I'm going to go heat up some popcorn now cause this thread is getting pretty funny.

Anyways, after 2 days with the Wii U mainly just messing with the features, I have figured out a few things about their design, and I'm a firm believer in what I'm looking at for the future, which is that everything will be based on the software. The functionality of the Wii U is pretty much a cross over between the PC and a Tablet while being a dedicated gaming machine thanks to the extra RAM. They still have a few things to work out but this is the most impressive console I've seen so far when talking about what you can do while playing a game.

You can goto Miiverse and ask for help and chat up or post SS(It's like a Nintendo Twitter), run a fully capable html5 web browser to check on game strategies or just browse the web a little on the fly, look at the eShop which is surprisingly well designed, and once Nintendo TVii is out, you will be able to watch movies and TV shows, all while having your game just idling in the background.

I think MS and Sony will be heading down this route as well, basically making consoles more PC like while not as complicated(MS with Win8 and Sony with uh, I have no idea, XMB is prolly not a good answer for Orbis), I think Nintendo is doing a great job so far with things to fix and features to introduce. The 1GB OS RAM is really starting to make sense at least.

Of course they will, do you think Sony could do something innovative without taking ideas from Nintendo.  I give Microsoft props though as Kinect and 360 was wayyyyy more innovative than what Sony has done for the last 10 years!!!---just saying it how I see it, is all.

Yeah fuck Sony, hope they die soon, taking ideas from themselves .

Fixed and so much better thank you!!!

My god, all this technical jargon is giving me a headache!

Look, as long as the Wii U is MORE powerful than the PS360, which the consensus is that it clearly is, that's enough for me. Going from what I've read through these countless pages of techno babble, the only real issue for Wii U seems to be RAM speed, but from what I've gathered, Nintendo has more than made up for that with a better CPU, GPU, more resources allocated to edram, and using their tech in a more efficient way.

I just don't see why so many people seem to be knocking the power of the hardware when there are still several question marks with what this tech can actually do, not to mention the fact that we no absolutely NOTHING about the power of Sony and MS's next consoles. So where is the basis for comparison here? They will undoubtedly be more powerful than the Wii U, but question is, how much? And can they really afford to make consoles that are leaps and bounds better than the Wii U anyway, especially with these economy? I doubt it. Wii U costs $300-$350, and that's with Nintendo reportedly taking financial losses on the hardware (albeit small ones). How much would Sony and MS need their consoles to cost without taking a huge financial hit? $600? $700?

People point to the Wii U third party ports as evidence that it is underpowered, but lest we forget that these are LAUNCH titles, which have always proven to look significantly worse than titles developed later on. Remember the Xbox 360 launch, and all the talk of "Xbox 1.5?" Look at GUN and Perfect Dark Zero and compare them to Skyrim and Gears of War 3.. As developers get more acquainted with the Wii U hardware, you can bet the games will look much better. So while MS and Sony powerhouses will obviously have the graphical and performance edge over Wii U, I highly doubt the gap will be as large as Wii - PS360 was, for the reasons I mentioned above.

Play4Fun said:
darkknightkryta said:
oni-link said:
dahuman said:

Of course they will, do you think Sony could do something innovative without taking ideas from Sony.  I give Microsoft props though as Kinect and 360 was wayyyyy more innovative than what Sony has done for the last 10 years!!!---just saying it how I see it, is all.

You do realize Sony put out the Eyetoy on the PS2 way before the Xbox 360 released?

And Sega put out the Sega Activator before the Wii released. What's your point?

Everyone innovates which is a fancy word for "copy"?

Around the Network
Scisca said:
I think it's ridiculous that N fans are so proud and think they proved something huge when they say Wii U is a bit stronger than the HD twins. I actually think it would be next to impossible nowadays to create a weaker console, since such low level hardware probably isn't available anymore, apart from mobiles. I was expecting the Wii U to be better than PS360 in every single way and I hope that these strange numbers about the RAM and the CPU are somehow compensated for by the architecture of the console.
Having said that, I find it sad that people still compare the Wii U to PS360 and that this comparison is still legit. The way I see it, Wii U vs. PS360 is like Wii vs. GCN/X-box. A step forward, but hey. Nobody was excited about the Wii being more powerful than the PS2, right? Cause it had other competition in its generation. It wasn't competing with PS2/GCN/X-box. We still don't know anything about the next PS/X-box, but one thing is certain, they have to be a significant and noticable improvement over the previous consoles, cause otherwise people just wouldn't buy them! Would all X360 owners buy the next X-box if it was Wii U strong and actually got all the same games as the X360? Not so sure about it. So these consoles will be more powerful. And they will be the Wii U's competition, not the PS360. The gap will hopefully be smaller, but is that going to be enough to convince core gamers to buying 3rd party multiplatform games for the Wii U instead of going with their old brand and benefiting from having the old fiendslist, achievements, etc.? Only time will tell. At least I hope that N will be getting the multiplats this time so that they can try to compete.
In my opinion, judging from all that, I think the Wii U has a huge chance to end up the way Gamecube did. A great console that sells quite average, because everyone only uses it to play Nintendo games, but it still remains profitable for Nintendo. I think that a Wii-like success isn't possible next gen. They managed to catch lightning in a bottle, but that won't happen for the second time, cause the competition won't ignore N this time and already has the Smartglass/Vita integration plus the casual market has changed. I see the future of the Wii U more GCN-like, then Wii-like. This is all just my prediction though.

PS. Haha, it feels so funny saying "next-gen" and not refering to the PS3/X360/Wii, since that is the "current-gen" now :) Time flies, the world changes... :)

could you like, fix that post? I couldn't read pass the second sentence cause it brings me stress to see a wall of text.

hivycox said:
Did they test the RAM ??
I mean just to read the model number on the chip and posting the normal numbers isn't very credible if you know what i mean. Like the GPU, the RAM can as well be modified. And why does everybody forget about the eDRAM ?!

"It's bashing Nintendo-time folks"

chill out guys..and never underestemate japanese people with their experience with tech.. I'm sure they know the wii u is strong enough ;)

No. If you change the RAM you have to change the model... anyway the numbers are the max the model can run, Nintendo can run the memory underclocked but I guess that's not the case.

And you right... the eDRAM have to do miracles to save the bad RAM config.

Innovation is less about inception, and more about implementation. Having the idea is not the same as making that idea work. Edison didn't make electricity, but he made it a cornerstone of modern life. The Wright brothers didn't invent flight, or even the idea of powered flight, but they were the ones to bring it to life. James Watt didn't invent the steam engine, but he made it viable. Which ushered in the Industrial Revolution.

The point I am driving at is this. For right or wrong those who fail aren't entitled to a share of the acclaim. There are a lot of people that tried to create electrical lighting, and they probably did a fairly good job at illustrating how not to do it, but we don't know them. Just as we don't know the names of the guys who plummeted to their deaths trying to fly off the tops of cliffs, or the guys that got blown up tinkering with steam engines. You can make a case that they deserve props for their pioneering spirits, but the acclaim is truly deserved by those who actually made the ideas work.

That said Nintendo deserved the acclaim it got for the motion control it put in the Wii. Even if others had the idea, or even implemented it to some extent. Nintendo were the guys who made it work. So they deserve to be called the innovators. Now as for what the Wii U offers. I am going to say that Nintendo isn't the innovator in this case. I am probably going to get tarred and feathered for saying so, but I think it is pretty evident that a large number of consumers did use the PSP/PS3 cross connectivity feature. So it should be said that Sony did make it into a really affective feature. It wasn't overwhelmingly popular, but it was well received, and before anyone calls bullshit on me for saying so. Think long and hard about who is saying this.

As for the whole multitasking thing. Nintendo isn't innovating there either. We have had gaming machines that have been able to do this for a couple decades, and yes they could be connected to televisions. They are called personal computers. When I played a lot of persistent world games many years ago. I routinely played with others that were using televisions as their monitors.

Anyway inventor, originator, and innovator are rarely synonymous.

Eh, I will wait to see what can be done once developers learn how to use the device more and Nintendo usually leaves the option for expansion in their devices so if worst comes to worst, much like they did with the N64 they might sell a RAM expansion or something.

Play4Fun said:
Turkish said:
oni-link said:
Turkish said:
oni-link said:
Wow...just...wow...I knew this site was full of anti-Nintendo fanatics like Turkish, VGking etc...but I didn't know it was this rampant!!! I'll wait for a full analysis of the system before jumping the gun. I take it that the term "no one is saying Wii U is not more powerful than PS360...the question is how much" that these people hide behind is thrown out the window b/c of some presumed RAM speed (what the heck). Never mind that the Wii U has better latency, more eDRAM, double the amount of RAM or a better GPU or even CPU. Well I am totally happy with my Wii U, which seem to outperform both PS360 on CoD: BO 2 on the videos that are currently making rounds on the web right now.

You can read Digital Foundrys review.

I did and found it bull$hit similar to how Patcher has been ranting about the Wii U from the beginning.  Honestly, basing the capability of a system based on launch ports from the sub-HD twins (PS3 can't even render BO 2 in standard HD) is quite lunacy!!!

Not only launch ports, look at ZombiU, does that game look good to you? Just watched the IGN review, sorry graphics are mediocre.

ZombiU? oh, you mean that game that started on PS360, was moved to Wii U and then was changed mid-development from Killer Freaks to ZombiU.

Yes, it's strange to me that it doesn't have amazing graphics as well, especially when it was mostly developed on ever-changing, unfinalised dev-kits.

>_>

Not jsut that but the developers themselves said they were focusing on the survival horror part of the game and not the graphics.  I am pissed of abut it, but that is the choice they made.