By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wiiu RAM 43% slower than PS360 RAM

VGKing said:

Then we would be waiting forever. There's a reason Nintendo hasn't(and won't) reveal specs. The system is way too underpowered to be a next-gen system. This just wont' get good 3rd party support. The ports it already had are horrible.

we dont want 3rd party  support anyways ...

just kidding

Around the Network
VGKing said:
dahuman said:
VGKing said:
Mr Khan said:
VGKing said:
aikohualda said:
YESSSSSSSSSSSS cause power = sales... oh wait...

The more power a console has, the more games can be made for it. The more games are made for it, the more people buy the Wii U. So yes, in a way power = sales.

Power was a huge limiting factor for the original Wii, it will be the same for the Wii U once Xbox 720 and PS4 release.

It won't be anywhere near as big an issue. The feature-set was the bigger gap problem between Wii and PS360, with things like TEV vs Programmable shaders, or many other features that were missing (Normal Mapping wasn't even standard). Also PS3 and 360 had about 6x as much RAM as Wii. Orbis/Durango would have to have 12 GB of unified RAM to create a gap that big, on raw numbers alone. We're looking at somewhere on the order of 2-4x, with processors that are likely to be much more similar.

Likely what you'll end up with is the difference between games running on min/max settings.

Yeah, processors will likely be very similar but that's only because processors haven't really advanced that much. There aren't that many options to pick from, and they can't continue using the Cell.

If next-gen games run on "minimum settings" on a Wii U, and "maximum" on a PS4/720, that would be amazing for everyone. That's just a best case scenario though. If a next-gen game can run on a Wii U, couldn't it also run on a PS3 or 360 as well? I think it all depends if developers put in the work, and that depends on how well these launch games sell and how well the Wii U itself sells.

That's why 3rd party devs are building scalable engines now, it's almost like buying a PC in a way. Options options, dedicated by hardware specs.

True, but it will come down to more than just if a game can run on a Wii U.......it will come down to if there is an audience for it.
The big next-gen engine will be Unreal Engine 4. If Wii U can somehow manage to run that I think Nintendo will be in a good posistion.

Yeah, I'm just gonna say that I'm not worried about it and it's a good thing that I don't care about UE on consoles cause it makes me wanna puke. If you want a real UE, you stick to PC, you always stick to PC for that.

Honestly, at this point, who cares?

dahuman said:
VGKing said:
dahuman said:
VGKing said:
Mr Khan said:
VGKing said:
aikohualda said:
YESSSSSSSSSSSS cause power = sales... oh wait...

The more power a console has, the more games can be made for it. The more games are made for it, the more people buy the Wii U. So yes, in a way power = sales.

Power was a huge limiting factor for the original Wii, it will be the same for the Wii U once Xbox 720 and PS4 release.

It won't be anywhere near as big an issue. The feature-set was the bigger gap problem between Wii and PS360, with things like TEV vs Programmable shaders, or many other features that were missing (Normal Mapping wasn't even standard). Also PS3 and 360 had about 6x as much RAM as Wii. Orbis/Durango would have to have 12 GB of unified RAM to create a gap that big, on raw numbers alone. We're looking at somewhere on the order of 2-4x, with processors that are likely to be much more similar.

Likely what you'll end up with is the difference between games running on min/max settings.

Yeah, processors will likely be very similar but that's only because processors haven't really advanced that much. There aren't that many options to pick from, and they can't continue using the Cell.

If next-gen games run on "minimum settings" on a Wii U, and "maximum" on a PS4/720, that would be amazing for everyone. That's just a best case scenario though. If a next-gen game can run on a Wii U, couldn't it also run on a PS3 or 360 as well? I think it all depends if developers put in the work, and that depends on how well these launch games sell and how well the Wii U itself sells.

That's why 3rd party devs are building scalable engines now, it's almost like buying a PC in a way. Options options, dedicated by hardware specs.

True, but it will come down to more than just if a game can run on a Wii U.......it will come down to if there is an audience for it.
The big next-gen engine will be Unreal Engine 4. If Wii U can somehow manage to run that I think Nintendo will be in a good posistion.

Yeah, I'm just gonna say that I'm not worried about it and it's a good thing that I don't care about UE on consoles cause it makes me wanna puke. If you want a real UE, you stick to PC, you always stick to PC for that.

I got a gaming PC last year. Don't use it though. Prefer console gaming.

think-man said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
think-man said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
think-man said:
So does that mean the WiiU is worse? can't understand this sorry, didn't pay much attention in my hardware class lol

yes...well at least that's what I understood from reading the discussion over at gaf

:/ so if this is not as good as the ps3/360 now then how far behind will it be when the nextbox and ps4 are out? or is this not really a big deal?

keep in mind I'm no tech guy..so zarx or gaf would be a better resource for you on the subject. From what I understand however this is pretty bad. If the cpu related rumors are also true then this system truly can be on par or maybe slightly more powerful than the ps360. PS4/720 won't have to do much in order to get a significant leap over this.

Also graphic comparisons are coming out now for games like batman. I saw one comparison image that...I hope is doctored to bait others, cuz it looked pretty bad for wiiu.

That batman on the wiiU :/

Everyone commenting on the Batman in Wii U does realize that he's not wearing the same batsuit as in the XBox 360/PS3 version?  There is a reason why it's subtitled "Armored Edition".  Go to a toy store and look at the action figure aisle.  There's sub-arctic Batman, claw-grip Batman, Himalayan mountain climbing Batman, Moon Patrol Batman (I made all of these up, by they are representative of what you would find).  This is a merchandising strategy that has gone on for years.  In this case, it's a way of differentiating the Wii U game (along with all the gamepad utilization) from the ones already out so that it is not an exact port.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:

Sony's Financial situation is mostly due to the fact that no one buys Walkman (l0l) and the TVs are selling poorly, although the PS brand did some dent to it , its TV brand did far more damage to it or at least from what I've heard (not so sure).

Don't foret the Yen.  It's making CFO's all over Japan weep at night.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

VGKing said:
Mr Khan said:
VGKing said:
z101 said:
Turkish said:
Heavenly_King said:

You have to update the WiiU ram.   According to neogaf it is not even 17gb/s, it is.......12.8gb/s

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44502005&postcount=1200

Damn, updating now. Thanks for notifying.

Because someone on the internet said it, it must be true ...

Surely you people should wait when real technical specs roll in, not just a lonely number.

And the headline is false at all, because the eDRAM is also RAM and much more and faster than on any console before.

Then we would be waiting forever. There's a reason Nintendo hasn't(and won't) reveal specs. The system is way too underpowered to be a next-gen system. This just wont' get good 3rd party support. The ports it already had are horrible.

Be very careful making statements like this.

Very, very careful.

It's not a statement, its an opinion. For a next-gen console, the Wii U isn't impressive at all to me.(power wise) 

What it really comes down to is Nintendo first party games and if you find that Gamepad appealing enough....

I agree with Kotaku's review of the Wii U. They said it's not worth buying yet if you have a PS3 or 360 already.(Which I do)

Of course stuff like Wii U getting accidentaly hacked on Day 1, huge Day 0 firmware update or the slow OS isn't helping to change my opinion.

"It's my opinion, man" isn't a valid rebuttal.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Wait for a proper detailed inspection.

According to reports from ifixit tear-down of the wii u an hour or so back the RAM isn't even made by Samsung, it is made by Micron (unless Samsung owns Micron ).

Samsung makes the NAND flash memory and Panasonic the HDMI.

I am not saying this is true either but it does cast some doubt on the original Samsung DDR3 RAM.

VGKing said

"They are still making/selling PS2s".  "PS3 will last 10 years".

This is where your thinking is flawed.  The PS3 is most certainly not the PS2 in the marketplace.  The PS2 was all alone in its dominance.  When the 7th gen launched, people looking for a cheaper console alternative weren't going to buy an Xbox or a Gamecube.  It was PS2 and PS2 alone (or the Wii, of course).  The PS3 will not have that luxury as there will always be the 360 as an alternative, not to mention that the brand new WiiU is not unreasonably more expensive than Sony's 6 year old tech.  Of course the PS3 can continue to receive ports for a while because of scalable engines, but again, so can the 360.

Will they still be manufacturing/selling the PS3 in 2016?  Possibly.  But its relevance (i.e. longevity that the PS2 enjoyed) will have dwindled off long before then.

justinian said:
Wait for a proper detailed inspection.

According to reports from ifixit tear-down of the wii u an hour or so back the RAM isn't even made by Samsung, it is made by Micron (unless Samsung owns Micron ).

Samsung makes the NAND flash memory and Panasonic the HDMI.

I am not saying this is true either but it does cast some doubt on the original Samsung DDR3 RAM.

So far, from 3 diffrent teardowns, it's obvious that they used different suppliers for memory - Samsung (PCPer), Hynix (Anandtech) and Micron (iFixit)